GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Pics of my new Lowenharts

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-01 | 07:11 PM
jamecl

Smile

I had my new Lowenhart BR5s installed today along with the L-tuned suspension. I think it looks great!! Let me know what you think?
Attached Thumbnails Pics of my new Lowenharts-p7280065.jpg  
Old 07-28-01 | 07:13 PM
jamecl

Here's another angle.
Attached Thumbnails Pics of my new Lowenharts-p7280064.jpg  
Old 07-28-01 | 08:43 PM
GSman
Pole Position

Looks nice! What rim/tire size combo did you do with?
Old 07-28-01 | 08:45 PM
jamecl

Went with 18s 8.5 front 9.5 rear.
Old 07-28-01 | 09:06 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

jamecl,

Looks very nice.. I'm also looking for a set of 18's for the GS in a staggered setup like yours.. How do you find the ride with the L-Tuned and the new wheels??

I really like the way the GS looks without a spoiler.. Very clean.. Good job!!

Any other mods planned??
Old 07-28-01 | 09:09 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Looks nice! Since you just got the suspension put it, it looks like it's a little high...it should go down a little bit in about a month or so...

Personally, I would lower it about another 1"...but that's just me
Old 07-28-01 | 09:22 PM
jamecl

2SAVVY

The ride is definitely different but still pretty good. You feel more bumps and it's a little noisier depending on the road surface. Of course that depends on the tire. It seems to handle better too, but I haven't had much of a chance to rip around a corner yet. I was most concerned about road noise and ride before I made the mods (my wife drives it most of the time), but it turned out not to be as harsh as I had imagined.
Old 07-28-01 | 09:32 PM
GSman
Pole Position

Jamecl,

What brand of tires? It you don't mind, what does a tire/rim setup like your cost? I like the look and may consider an upgrade.
Old 07-28-01 | 09:36 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by jamecl
2SAVVY

The ride is definitely different but still pretty good. You feel more bumps and it's a little noisier depending on the road surface. Of course that depends on the tire. It seems to handle better too, but I haven't had much of a chance to rip around a corner yet. I was most concerned about road noise and ride before I made the mods (my wife drives it most of the time), but it turned out not to be as harsh as I had imagined.
This is my concern as well because the little woman will be taking over the GS when my SC arrives.. What tires did you go with??

I'll probably go with Toyo T1-S because of all the good things the guys here tell me.. Car should settle a bit lower in the coming months so I think it won't look high at all.. The L-tuned suspension is what I will do in a year or so too for the GS and purchase tips since the wife I know won't like a grumbling exhaust..
Old 07-28-01 | 09:48 PM
jamecl

GSman I sent you a private message.

I went with the Bridgestone RE730s. I talked to Phil at autoaddictions about the S03s and he talked me out of them. He said since I wasn't going to race around they would be too much tire. We'll see how they work out in the coming months.

I drive a 323ci with sport suspension and 17" 45s and it's a lot stiffer ride than the GS with the new wheels and suspension. I'm pretty happy so far with the way things turned out.
Old 07-29-01 | 07:53 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by jamecl
GSman I sent you a private message.

I went with the Bridgestone RE730s. I talked to Phil at autoaddictions about the S03s and he talked me out of them. He said since I wasn't going to race around they would be too much tire. We'll see how they work out in the coming months.

I drive a 323ci with sport suspension and 17" 45s and it's a lot stiffer ride than the GS with the new wheels and suspension. I'm pretty happy so far with the way things turned out.
JAMECL, that is a sweet ride. I like that rim look, very clean and nice. I am sure it's even more impressive in person.

As for the Bridgestone RE730s, I have heard many good things about these tires. Where do all your members buying them from and have them mounted? If I use Tirerack, then I am stuck with tires that I have to have someone mount for me. Maybe there are local tire / wheel franchises in the area that can supply these tires and mount them, but they will be more expensive. I don't think my local warehouse club (COSTCO / Sam's Club) will have these higher end tires.

Any advise would help my fellow members! Thanks.
Old 07-29-01 | 09:57 AM
jamecl

I got the tires at the same place I purchased the wheels. I checked with Tire Rack and the price was slightly lower, but by the time I paid for mounting, balancing and shipping (and the hassle) it was basically a wash.
Old 07-29-01 | 11:25 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb ideas

lexguynj,

how's going?

for the re730s, this is what you do.

1.call/visit your local costo, because LA's stores do have them in stock, or they will special order them for you. but the price(last time i checked), is actually a bit higher than the rack. however, costco's $9/tyre for install is a bargain, plus you get the lifetime repair, and free balance. one thing you need to make sure is that some store have the right machine to do a good job, and some older stores do not.

2.this is what i do when costco either do not carry the tyre i want, or they are more expensive than the rack. order from the rack, and call around to see which costco has the right machine, and would install them for you. luckily my local costco has been very user friendly about this.

3.if #2 fails, check w/the rack and they will inform you their local recommended installers. make sure you call around as the prices vary greatly. some shop after hearing that you will be bringing your lex and expensive tyres, all their cash registres are ringing "cha-ching", be careful.:eek: $12-20 is the most i would pay/ tyre.

4.or, you can always call around locally and get several price comparo. sometimes stores even match the rack prices whcih would save you some trouble.

william
Old 07-29-01 | 07:21 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: ideas

Originally posted by gs4will
lexguynj,

how's going?

1.call/visit your local costo, because LA's stores do have them in stock, or they will special order them for you. but the price(last time i checked), is actually a bit higher than the rack. however, costco's $9/tyre for install is a bargain, plus you get the lifetime repair, and free balance. one thing you need to make sure is that some store have the right machine to do a good job, and some older stores do not.

2.this is what i do when costco either do not carry the tyre i want, or they are more expensive than the rack. order from the rack, and call around to see which costco has the right machine, and would install them for you. luckily my local costco has been very user friendly about this.

3.if #2 fails, check w/the rack and they will inform you their local recommended installers. make sure you call around as the prices vary greatly. some shop after hearing that you will be bringing your lex and expensive tyres, all their cash registres are ringing "cha-ching", be careful.:eek: $12-20 is the most i would pay/ tyre.

4.or, you can always call around locally and get several price comparo. sometimes stores even match the rack prices whcih would save you some trouble.

william
William,

Thanks for the all the info. Sometimes you have to pay more for convenience at time too. Tirerack is good, but I hear that some of their recommended installers (maybe only here in NJ) are not exactly the most credible at times too.

Costco is a great way to do it, but that issue about some stores not having the right machine to do it, is kind of unsettling. You are lucky that your is all good.

Thanks again for the help and I'll keep looking around.

Old 07-29-01 | 07:27 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: ideas

Originally posted by gs4will
lexguynj,

how's going?

william
William,

Thanks for the all the info. Sometimes you have to pay more for convenience at time too. Tirerack is good, but I hear that some of their recommended installers (maybe only here in NJ) are not exactly the most credible at times too.

Costco is a great way to do it, but that issue about some stores not having the right machine to do it, is kind of unsettling. You are lucky that your is all good.

Thanks again for the help and I'll keep looking around.