GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lexus GS car PC

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-05, 08:43 AM
maaloxx
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joshoowa
little more info on the hardware side please?

im currently using a hacked laptop running centrino... alot better than one of those via epia motherboards

so what is it... spill the beans!!!! lol

josh
I'm using a epia V mobo that i had laying around the office. I'm going to switch it to a Compaq evo that I have here..it's a P4 and it's small! With a PCI slot for my sound card. 6 channel! WOOHOO
I have it wire to a 2 channel amp now. all the stock speakers on one channel and then the sub on the other. Even that sounds incredible however I can't have it to loud cause the stock speakers can't handle it and throw the amp into protect! New amp and speakers are next on the list...after my timing belt...LOL
Old 11-22-05, 08:55 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

being a total computer noob, i was wondering how much abuse can all this cpu hardware handle being a vehicle?
Old 11-22-05, 10:07 AM
maaloxx
Pole Position

I'd say that the movement is minimal as long as you not off roading. LOL And I live in NYC and it never freezes or skips. Might I add that I also seem to have a magnetic attraction to potholes...LOL

the best investment I could recommend is a Dc 2 Dc power supply with a Shutdown controller. Conditions the power to keep it constant.
Old 11-22-05, 10:11 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

what about extreme winter/summer interior temps? where would it be best to locate the cpu?
Old 11-22-05, 10:53 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Location depends on how big the computer is. Small, then in glovebox or under seats. Big, you only choice is the trunk. Computers can take quite an amount of beating before failure. Most cpu's now have no problem runnin at around 160-190F, and the rest of the components are ok as long as you stay under 120-130F. Depending on the quality of the parts you use in the setup will determine how resilient your computer is to the heat. As for the cold, dont worry about it unless you are going to be exposing the computer to -150F or colder. Just make sure you dont get any condensation and you will be ok. All parts in the computer besides the hard drive are solid state(no moving parts) so they are pretty much unaffected by shocks and bumps.

The most vunerable part in the computer is the hard drive. However the current generation of desktop harddrives can take about 250-350G's of non operating(comp off) shock and around 65G's of operating shock(comp on). However there is limitations to how much the hard drive can handle. Even though the ratings are impressive, the operating shock is rated at 2ms intervals for 65G's. I guess you could mess up the hard drive if you go offroading or drive on a REALLY bad bumpy road. The sudden shock does not affect it as much as harsh constant vibration. If you want an even more durable drive, go with a notebook drive. Those are designed from the ground up to take shocks, bumps, and movement while a desktop drive is made to sit in one place and never move. Laptop drives are typically rated around 1000G non operational and 250-300G operational. I wouldnt be surprised if one of these survived a car crash! They are much more expensive compared to their dekstop counterparts but they are about 1/6 the size(size is everything for a glovebox mounted system) and use about 500mW compared to desktop drives of 5-6watts.

I'm pretty experienced with computers and have done a carpc setup in my old car, and now planning it for my GS. If any of you have questions, please feel free to ask!

Last edited by jefftsai; 11-22-05 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-22-05, 08:24 PM
GSx300
Driver School Candidate

Nice!!! I have bought a carputer for my integra but I just bought a 2002 GS300 Sport Design and plan on installing it in the GS300. I never tried installing a carputer before, by any chance do you have steps or instructions of how to wire it and get that frame for the screen? is there any special things you have to do to wire it into a lexus? where did you place the computer? did u have take the whole dash apart?
Old 11-22-05, 08:41 PM
GSx300
Driver School Candidate

What kind of touch screen do you have? I have bought all the parts but I have not built it yet...I'm planning on building a custom Mini case for it. I also was wondering if it would be okay to place the computer like right under the dash. is there room in there? Never opened it up before. Like under where the center console is but on the floor of the car. ?
Old 11-22-05, 10:19 PM
maaloxx
Pole Position

Mine is under the passenger floor mat for now. I'd mount it in the trunk or under the seat. I'm using a Lilliput 7" screen
Old 11-23-05, 02:04 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

on a scale of 1-10...definitely an 11! I am very impressed!
Old 11-23-05, 07:24 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am also impressed!! Now I have something ELSE to consider in the way of mods. This is EXCELLENT! Keep up the good work. MORE PICTURES!!
Old 11-23-05, 06:08 PM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

That is freakin sweet. Great job! Now only if you could figure out how to mass produce this item and you would make a bundle off of all your fellow club lexus members.
Old 11-24-05, 09:16 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Damn that is a sweet set up! Do you have SatNav installed in that, or is it just for CD/DVD playback?
Old 11-24-05, 09:38 AM
maaloxx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stage3
Damn that is a sweet set up! Do you have SatNav installed in that, or is it just for CD/DVD playback?
I have GPS Nav installed and working. It's pretty damn accurate too.

@DSnowGS4: The brackets aren't that hard to make. It's just the time involved. I guess could make a resin mold and mass produce them that way but then you'd have to jerry rig the screen to stay seated in there. The way I did it to aviod all that was just moulding the screen housing right into the Factory DDIN enclosure kit! So I got a screen that mounts to it's original mounting bracket and an enclosure that mounts and is secured by the factory brackets! DREMELS ROCK...
Old 11-24-05, 10:53 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work MAN
Old 11-25-05, 04:34 PM
mirice41
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dennis-C
I'm doing my car computer right now. Are you going to run subs? How are you hooking up your audio system? Y-Splitter?

-Dennis
Are you still selling the Lowenharts?

Thanks
Nate

Quick Reply: Lexus GS car PC