GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400 vs. GS430

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-01, 12:40 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would choose Pioneer's latest DVD-based NAV (AVIC-9DVD w/ the AVX-P7300DVD motorized flip-out wide-screen 7" lcd), just go to their website to learn more about it...BUT....

1. I don't use a NAV nor have I ever used Pioneer's latest DVD NAV.
2. Pioneer's latest DVD NAV is expensive ($2,400 MSRP + $1,950 MSRP for screen...still probably cheaper than stock NAV).
3. Stock NAV has that stock-look that we all like. (pioneer's will look sleek though
4. Stock NAV has touch screen (but the pioneer has voice-activation).
5. I don't know if Pioneer's DVD NAV is the best, but it probably is. A lot of people use Alpine's DVD NAV and like it, but they probably got it before Pioneer's was even available, I think it just came out this month or something)

The price is steep, but that's only retail, you can probably save a thousand or even more by looking for a good deal...maybe even Ebay.

You will have TWO dvd players, you can navigate using the NAV DVD (includes all US AND Canada) and have the people in the rear watch a dvd movie (if you install lcds in the rear). Or you can watch a movie in the front lcd and a different movie in the rear lcds. And even if you don't get rear lcds at all, you can still watch a dvd movie with your nav, stock nav won't do that (but they are trying).

Pioneer means quality...they are so good even Lexus uses a less expensive version of pioneer's base stereo on their premium package.

And I like all those neat features pioneer's new NAV has...
Info about Pioneer's latest NAV:

8.5GB Dual Layer Navigation System with entire US and Canada DVD Map Disc (Excludes Hawaii and Alaska) (I don't know if lexus's dvd is Dual-Layered or not?)
DVD Video/Playback Compatibility
High Performance 32 bit RISC CPU & 32 MB SDRAM
Crystal 3D Hybrid Sendor (measures heights and inclines so it won't be confused by tunnels or parking garages)
Upgradeable High Capacity Flash Memory Operating System (ready for the future)
PC-Card Slot Built-in (PCMCIA Type 2) (this I think has plenty of potential, think of what pc-cards can do for your laptop or palmtop today, think of what it could do for your car!)
Voice Control Interface (recognition/synthesis)
one composite AV Output for DVD-Video and Non-Pioneer Monitor (voice-activated)
RGB Output
Remote Controller with 10 Key
GPS Antenna Included
Communication Port for Real Time Information Data Receiver (real-time traffic reports, weather reports, news, stock...its all advanced stuff :-)

Info about front flip-out lcd screen with dvd:

Ultra-Slim Built-in DVD/Video CD/CD Player
IP-Bus Input/Output
96kHz/24-bit D/A Converter
Controlled by IP-BUS Headunit Full Control by AV Entertainment Master Unit and External Control by Any IP-BUS Headunit
DVD Composite Video Output for Rear (that's the output you would use for the rear lcds)
Optical Digital Output for AV Entertainment Master Unit (DTS/Dolby Digital/Dolby Pro Logic /Linear PCM) (you can eventually have a mobile theater in your car)
Remote Control

LCD Display Features:

7" Wide TFT Active Matrix LCD Color Screen with 5 Selectable Viewing Modes (probably better readability than lexus one since this one doesn't have a touch screen)
Fully Motorized Unit with Display Angle Adjustment (looks cool enough to compensate for that lost factory-installed look)
RGB Input
AV-Bus Input
Auto Dimmer Control
AGLR (Anti-Glare, Low-Reflection) Coated LCD Color Screen
Remote Control Sensor
Detachable Face Security with Theft-Deterrent Flashing LED

Articles:

Navigation, traffic information and DVD playback all in one package. The AVIC-9DVD includes a built-in 3-D Hybrid Sensor, an exclusive technology to provide more accurate positioning. Features include voice control operation, telephone number search, 3-D graphics and an option for the CUE radio network system, to provide real time traffic, news and weather information.

And don't back off from the GS430 just because of me, think about it more! You get a NEW car and a FULL warranty....but most used lexuses are taken care of very well anyway and if you have even a bit of the factory warranty remaining, ur cool cause you should be able to purchase an extended warranty (as if lexus even needed a warranty!)
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-01, 12:44 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

I just checked lexus website....$4,540 for the NAV system?!?!?

I checked for the Pioneer's AVIC-9DVD NAV ($1,300 on ebay) and Pioneer's AVX-P7300DVD (lcd w/dvd, $1,300 on ebay)....probably less than $3k for all of it INSTALLED!
Old 07-30-01, 01:27 AM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MAN, I was SET on the Alpine system with NAV and DVD and all that but now I think I might need the Pioneer unit!! LOL!! It sounds DOPE!! I will have to go the local stereo shop and get to see a personal look at all it's features and options..... Thanks for the info!!

Old 07-30-01, 07:37 AM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

I have a white 98 GS400 without the NAV. If I was in the market for a GS all over again, I would get a silver as my first choice, followed by the blue, and the black.
I would definetly make sure it had the Lexus Navigation. While stock 17s and HID would be nice, if it had the 16s I would just buy some 18s. As for the HID, its easy to convert and will only cost about $500-700. If you do convert to HID, make sure you get the original Lexus lights.
Old 07-30-01, 10:39 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

As for what options to look for...low miles and high miles doesn't mean much for a Lexus as it does for other car brands, Lexus's are known to be working well over even 300,000 miles....the problem is, if you have too much mileage, you might not be able to get warranty...I would try to find something that was almost out of warranty, that way I could still get extended FACTORY lexus warranty and would save on the car since it had high mileage (45k-50k miles).

Black is the best color (IMO), but its hard to keep clean....red&blue are not the right colors in my opinion for a GS, they make it look sort of like a umm, I don't know how to say it, but a Lexus should look classy, and bright red and that spectra blue aren't "classy" colors in my opinion. Silver is nice, but everyone has silver.

Interior color, I like beige, cause it goes very well with the wood trim, but if you go with a color like silver, then black might look better, but I would always go with a lighter color interior, makes your interior look bigger, it will stay cooler in the summer too (than black atleast).

As for options, I would definitely go with the factory HID, but if you are going to get an aftermarket NAV anyway (like the pioneer dvd one), then I wouldn't go for the factory nav ofcourse and not even the nakamichi (you would have to take it out anwyay). Go with the spoiler if you want, but if you wanna put a different spoiler on it then you might wanna get a GS without the spoiler. And I think the cell phone feature looks neat (has controls besides the steering wheel), I have it in my car and even though I hardly ever use it, sometimes if I forget my cell phone and need to make a call, I can using my calling card (or call collect) to call anyone in the US, plus everyone gets impressed by it!

I would go with the factory 17" chromes only if you are paying just a bit more for a car with them than for a car without them (the rest of the car being the same). Otherwise, I would just go with the 16" and later upgrade to 18" (I have the factory 17" chromes cause I just got a good deal on the whole car and they came with it)

Are you taking notes? I am just kidding, I am only giving you my opinion on all this, think about all of it well, and for a used car, you usually don't get to pick and choose options, so just for for the best price I guess.
Old 07-31-01, 06:26 AM
MrHorse
Pole Position

Default Is ML really that great?

The Levinson system - I've read reports that a stock Pioneer system (not even the premium Nakamichi) with upgraded speakers sounds much better the ML setup. What would you rather have, ML + paper (booty) speakers or Pioneer + molded/injected (dookie *** mack daddy) speakers?? Of course the top dog would be ML with high-quality drivers.. But who's going to modify a brand new GS430 anyway?

Last edited by MrHorse; 07-31-01 at 06:28 AM.
Old 08-01-01, 02:55 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

But who's going to modify a brand new GS430 anyway?
Me.

I'm actually pulling out the ML system and installing some other stuff...will post install picts once it's done...
Old 08-01-01, 11:10 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

I'm with Manaray on that one, if I wasn't satisfied with the ML system, then I would upgrade my "brand new gs430" too.

Actually, I think people are more willing to upgrade a brand new car than a used car...am I right?

I mean, I wouldn't really want to put lcds on headrests with a dvd player on a used 96 GS300, the lcds would cost $3k or more, which is more than 20% of the cost of the car ($15k)...but on an almost $60k GS430, its makes more sense to spend $3k on such a video entertainment system.

I like my Nakamichi system a lot, and if ML is better than Nakamichi, then I surely wouldn't want to upgrade it....on the other hand if I had a sucky sound system, then I would definitely upgrade to the best.

With Manaray, you have to get to know him a bit, he always wants to put the best of the best in his car!
Old 08-01-01, 02:08 PM
ktrends
Driver School Candidate

So the 430 taillights will fit in my 400?
Old 08-01-01, 03:36 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Now this doesn't happen often...

My Dad just traded in his IS300 for a brand spanking new GS430 so now a GS400 AND a GS430 reside side by side in the garage. There are a couple of minor differences but they're both well worth the money and you really can't go wrong on choosing. Mine is modded out and he doesn't want to race at all, but he's getting an SRT intake tomorrow AND some SSR GT3 two piece wheels with the (you'll like this) Bridgestone Pole Position S03's. What a setup! I get to bolt it all on for him tomorrow...then we have to find a good street to race on. GS400 vs GS430, almost the same mods except that I have the Torquemaster plugs which will make up the difference in torque. Plus I have a few more ponies.

My stats... 300hp + SRT (30) + TM = 340hp. 355+ for the torque. Lightweight wheels and tires.
His after mods... 300hp + SRT (also 30) = 330hp. 365 approx for the torque. Also lightweight wheels/tires. No TM plugs.

The interior on the GS430 feels a bit more refined due to the chrome and additional wood trim. Plus the leather is nice and new...and the new car smell. Must be psychological. His sound system is the standard Pioneer...but he isn't letting me touch the system at all. Mine...complete overkill.

Stock weight of the '98-2000 GS4 is 3690 pounds. Stock weight of the GS430 is right around 3715? I remember it being a bit heavier according to the brochures. Probably more sound deadening material.

Any bets on who will win the 0 to 60 AND the 1/4 mile?

Percy
Old 08-01-01, 06:41 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Percy,
The 430 has more sound deading material. I can barely hear the engine redline and whine like it did in my 98 400. Unless the 4.3l V8 is that much quieter at redline than the 4.0l, I seriously doubt it though.
Old 08-02-01, 07:55 AM
xshadowz

Thumbs up *****THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES!!!*****

Unbelievable.... the information I got from all of you has been a tremendous help.

Since I want to do a few modifications, I'm going with a pre-owned GS400, though I agree that there is nothing like a new car and knowing how every mile has been logged. I'm going to search for a 1999 CPO GS400.

I'm looking for the '99 instead of '98 because there might be first year production quirks that could have been rectified in '99 (am I starting a new debate by saying this?).

-----Why I decided to choose the GS400 over GS430-----

- Save significant $$$ vs. new
- Want the e-shift
- Don't want a navigation system
- Want to do some modifications
- Less property tax (in VA anyways) and insurance

Thanks to everyone who responded!!! I must say, ClubLexus kicks @$$