GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400 vs. GS430

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-01, 12:37 AM
xshadowz

I'm thinking of purchasing a used GS400 to save some $$$ compared to the newer GS430, but want to be sure that its just as good.
Since I'm just starting out, I'd like to you folks who are experienced with the vehicle a few questions:

Notice any driving/performance differences between the GS400 and GS430?

Interior changes?

Exterior changes?

I read about the "lag" in the GS400, still present in the GS430? Is there a fix for the lag?
Also, anything else (problems) that are common in the GS?

Thanks for the assistance!!!
Old 07-29-01, 02:52 AM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 2000 GS400 and LOVE IT!! I have NO COMPLAINTS!! I would recommend a used GS400 for 3 BIG reasons. First of all, there were only SUTTLE interior and exterior changes on the models. You have to have an expert eye to catch them. Two, the GS400 has E-SHIFT which I'm sure you are familiar with. I LOVE MINE!! It's kinda tight to impress the ladies too.
"Is it stick or auto?"
"BOTH"

Third, with the mone you saved you can get a few relatively inexpensive mods and be MUCH MUCH FASTER and look MUCH MUCH NICER than a GS430. Torque converter? SRT Intake? Rims? Lowering? System??

BTW, I LOVE NY!!
Old 07-29-01, 03:07 AM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Un... Basically I would have disagree with justin on that, the changes from 2000 to 2001 mite seem subtle on the surface, but deep down inside, it is an next generation v8 engine "3UZ-FE" with tons of extras. The new 430 comes in with two more advanced features, bigger navigation screen.. (trust me it is BIG) and top quality Mark levingson system.

BTW, the new 430 is faster in quarter mile, and has more torques as well. The new styling/interior really made quite some differences, the crhome ring gauges, and chrome shifter, blue tinted HID, Bigger Nav and sound system, new styling Taillight, new wood ash trays and next generation engine. I think these new feature are sure worthy of your extra $$ and dont' forget, you get a brand new car too.

Get the new 430, you won't regret it.

hehehe Justin, you do'nt have to be an expert to catch them, it is really obvious ^^, oh. how's NY? take some pictures to show it to the team =D
Old 07-29-01, 04:08 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even though I have a GS430, I would say go with a GS400 IF:

1) You don't care about the Nav or Mark Lev system
2) You get the GS400 for a SMOKING price.
3) The GS400 you get still has some Factory Warranty left.
4) Buy an extended warranty for the GS400 (or just get a Lexus Certified GS400)
5) The GS400 is in EXCELLENT mechanical condition with an impeccable service record (any Lexus dealership can look it up based on the VIN)
6) You like E-Shift. Which I do and the GS430 doesn't have it...DAMN IT! (I absolutely HATED Lexus for that decision...but I've now grown used to just gate-shifting...)

The warranty issue will close the gap between new and used (I know it's still not the same as a NEW car, but it's more peace of mind/insurance)

As for the interior differences, if you REALLY like the newer GS430 interior trim (silver rings around gauges, chrome trim around shifter, wood ash tray, etc.) I believe you can just buy the parts and they fit right in (can't remember if the chrome trim around the shifter fits though). And the exterior changes (tail lights, grille, etc.) can be added on...

Also, with the savings, you can always mod!

Now if you want the Navigation, DEFINITELY go with the newer GS430. It's Nav system is MUCH better than the older one.

Why did I buy a GS430 instead of a used GS400? Personally, I like having NEW cars. I don't like getting cars that have been molested by other people (I want to do all the molesting!) because you NEVER really know exactly what that car went through (and even Lexus's CPO program doesn't crack open the engine and the tranny and do a through check)
Old 07-29-01, 04:11 AM
disc108
Lead Lap

yes, but to a person that wants to fix up their cars, a gs4 would be more worth the $. sure the engine you get a new engine but more or less, they are both about the same quickness. you can get an SRT intake/ECU from the $ saved and the gs4 would outrun the 430 (by a little)... the $ saved could easily get the chrome trim around shifter, new gauges, etc and if you really wanted to do a mobile multimedia system, you wouldnt go w/the stock navi cuz its just hard to work with.

basically, it depends on your taste. some of the new interior mods can be acquired and arent that expensive but if you really really must have a new car, then a 430 will work out well.
Old 07-29-01, 06:21 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

If you want to save some $$$ and get some wheels, kit, etc.. you should go with the 400. But if you want the nice big nav and ml, get the 430.
Old 07-29-01, 07:28 AM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

I own a GS400 99 model, and man to tell you the truth they are both very great cars the GS430 is more refined, my advice to you is get the Car that would fit your budget if you can go with a GS430 go ahead, if you wanna get a 400 and do some modifications to it thats great too

PS) just check how much the insurance is might save up some money in the long run as well man.

But I have had no problems with my GS400 and it is a very reliable car you will love the GS models in everyway.
Old 07-29-01, 07:38 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

You are going to win either way with both these great cars.

I do say get the GS430, there is something about a new car that sweet. Besides most us like to get the greatest and the latest and don't want to think about I should of got this and that. That is also why you get it fully loaded with ML Audio and NAV if it's within your budget.

Old 07-29-01, 10:03 AM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

About performance between the two.. I have a 98 GS4 (stock) and raced a 2001 GS430 4 times. I beat him in all the races. Why? I think the new engine is more designed for a little better low end torque but when it comes to 0-60 and quarter mile times, they are almost the same. He spun of the line a little more than me because he wasn't familiar with the best way to launch it, but even if he knew how, I bet that we would have gone down the line head to head. The changes to the gs430 are minor and a used gs400 a better value. Going for a used, but like new GS can save you anywhere from $10,000 up to $25,000. And if you pick the right one, it will look and run just like new and not give you any problems.
Old 07-29-01, 01:30 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

As far as I know the GS430 has following visual differences:
1. the new tailights ($340 for a pair)
2. front grill ($100)
3. gauge trim ($120 for cover&wires)
4. wood ashtray (~$350)
5. compass mirror (~$350)
6. chrome ring around shifter (~$10)
7. new steering wheel cover w/ chrome symbol (~$650)
8. engine cover ($100?...I don't think you can replace it though)

Out of those visual differences, the compass mirror and wood ashtray are basically useless because you get a compass if you have NAV and you can get a wood trim kit ($130 on ebay) if you have to have your ashtray look like its wood. The new steering wheel cover w/ the chrome symbol is nice, but expensive, if you think its worth the extra $650 (+ ~$100 installation) then go for it, I don't think its worth that much though.

And with the engine cover, if you are going to get a TRD Front Strut Tower Brace (for better handling, costs $170), then if you get a GS430 you would have to remove the engine cover anyway since the bar wouldn't fit with the engine cover on, but with the GS400, you can leave the engine cover on and still have the TRD STB!

About the NAV and the ML....I would rather not get the factory NAV in a pre-01 model and get pioneer's latest DVD NAV installed, in my opinion its more advanced than even the new GS430 NAV and it has all that other stuff like voice-activation and traffic/weather reports stuff...www.pioneerelectronics.com

The Mark Levinson is better than just a Nakamichi, but for me Nak is really good too, and if you have to have better, than get something that's even better than ML to go with your new Pioneer DVD NAV....DynAudio (the audio gurus in here will tell you more about that).

In the end, the differences boil down to the engine, the GS430 is 4.3 liter and GS400 is 4.0 liter, the GS430 has a little more torque than the GS400, but for many people they are more than willing to sacrifice the extra torque for the e-shift! And you can always get more power/torque with stuff like the SRT HFI/ECU (Swift Racing Technologies High Flow Intake & Electronic Control Unit ($600) & TC (Torque Converter - $850?) among other stuff.

I would say if you are getting a good deal on a GS400, and if he has the factory warranty or you can get an extended factory warranty, then definitely go for it and make it a GS430 visually if you really want that new look and if you really want more power than what the GS400 already has, go with the SRT stuff.
Old 07-29-01, 04:57 PM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

Where can I get a Chrome ring trim for the shifter for a GS400 ????????????
Old 07-29-01, 05:23 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by BBD
Where can I get a Chrome ring trim for the shifter for a GS400 ????????????
Try steve, his handle on here is SUPRATRD
Old 07-29-01, 08:00 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

I keep asking Steve about the chrome ring that goes around the gear shifter but he doesn't know the part # to it. Someone find the part # for the chrome ring that goes around the gear shifter of the GS430 and Steve will definitely be able to get it for us!
Old 07-29-01, 10:28 PM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

I'm going crazy trying to order that chrome ring too!
Is there anybody out there that knows the part #?
2 Dealers keep telling me that I have order the shifter plate to get the chrome ring but I know thats not true because I remember several posts in which people just ordered the ring by itself (only 10-$25 i remember).
Somebody, please, help
Could it be that the parts dept. is too lazy to special order a small part like that because they will not make their share of profits?
Old 07-30-01, 12:05 AM
enginyr
Banned

Thumbs up Nanotech...

If you had to choose between Stock nav or pioneer dvd (btw is pioneer the best dvd/gps system out)? Which would you choose and why? (GS400) I'm leaning towards stock because of that "STOCK" look, Its a touch screen, and it controls all the other stuff like a/c which is cool. I am not getting a 430 because of you!!!

Quick Reply: GS400 vs. GS430