GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New to the Forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-05, 08:18 AM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New to the Forum

Hello all, i am new to the forum and hopefully next week should purchase a 2001 Lexus GS430. I have a friend who is a dealer and i am supposed to go up to the dealer auction in Manheim, PA with him to purchase one. Does anyone know how much the 01 GS430's are running with 35K to 45K miles? Will i still get the same treatment from the Lexus dealerships if i purchase the car from the auction rather than the dealership? Would you hesitate to pick up a GS with 50K or more miles on it?
Thanks for the replies
Old 11-22-05, 08:29 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to CL I think you would get the same treatment , and i wouldn't hesitate IF the car is in good shape and has been treated nicely
Old 11-22-05, 08:42 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus. I bought my 2001 GS430 with 48K miles for 26K from a private owner. Hope this helps you compare. Good luck with your purchase and remember it is mandatory that you post pics as soon as you get the car .
Old 11-22-05, 08:50 AM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome! I bought my '02 GS430 from a dealers auction (this past august) as well. It had 55K miles on it and i paid about $25K for it (before taxes, fees, etc...).
I'm assuming an '01 should go for less depending on color and options. Since mine was loaded (navi, ML & sport rims), and it was black on black, it was going for a little more.
You still get the same wonderful treatment from the dealer regardless of where you bought the car from.
Old 11-22-05, 02:00 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you can find one still under 4yr/50k bumper to bumper warranty, any dealer will treat you like you bought it there brand new and fix anything you can find, 100% free. loaners and all.

I bought an 01 about a year and a half ago and it had about 10 months warranty left on it. the in service date is important.
Old 11-22-05, 06:31 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome - and enjoy the great day!! Then post pics - we love stock GS's too!!

Jonny
Old 11-22-05, 07:37 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Yep, as another poster stated it's the in service date for bumper to bumper unless a extended warranty comes with it. Drive train is 7/70,000. Good luck on your bid and hope to see you here soon with pics.
Old 11-22-05, 11:12 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by milellie11
Would you hesitate to pick up a GS with 50K or more miles on it?
I bought my 98 GS4 about 2 yrs ago, and at the time it had 55k miles on it. Im at about 98k miles now with no problems at all, and my GS is a daily driver. So to answer, no, I wouldnt hesitate to buy a GS w/ 50k + miles...these cars run forever, especially when you keep up with the maintenance.

welcome to CL
Old 11-23-05, 05:53 AM
milellie11
Intermediate

I just want to thank everyone for the welcome and all of the helpful responses. Club Lexus is definitely different from acurazine.com where they are sarcastic and just ignore posts.
To those that have bought their GS from a dealers auction, do they usually have a good amount of 01 GS's with Nav/ML? Or will i only have about 5 to choose from? I really want a black on black combo but those may be rare at Manheim. I'm looking to spend $21,500 through $22,500 for an 01 GS loaded with approximately 45,000 miles. Will this be possible?
Thanks
Old 11-23-05, 06:04 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just want to thank everyone for the welcome and all of the helpful responses. Club Lexus is definitely different from acurazine.com where they are sarcastic and just ignore posts.
To those that have bought their GS from a dealers auction, do they usually have a good amount of 01 GS's with Nav/ML? Or will i only have about 5 to choose from? I really want a black on black combo but those may be rare at Manheim. I'm looking to spend $21,500 through $22,500 for an 01 GS loaded with approximately 45,000 miles. Will this be possible?
Thanks
might be tough, but who knows. used GS430s are pretty rare in general. I think there is usually a list of cars that are going to be at the auction before the day of auction.
Old 11-23-05, 06:35 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WELCOME
Old 11-24-05, 02:08 AM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks
When i went to the auction, there were maybe 6 GS430's - tops. (compared to 100's of ES, LS & RX's) Of the 6, 3 had the navi/ML and only one was blk/blk (the one i bought ). I was VERY lucky to find it. Just know that blk/blk alone usually adds $1K to the price & is very hard to find. If you find the right combo, spending about $23K seems kind of reasonable. GOOD LUCK!
Old 11-24-05, 01:34 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aliti19
When i went to the auction, there were maybe 6 GS430's - tops. (compared to 100's of ES, LS & RX's) Of the 6, 3 had the navi/ML and only one was blk/blk (the one i bought ). I was VERY lucky to find it. Just know that blk/blk alone usually adds $1K to the price & is very hard to find. If you find the right combo, spending about $23K seems kind of reasonable. GOOD LUCK!
Wow, only 6 GS's up at the auction? Must be pretty rare. I do have alternate colors other than the black. Blue, Maroon and silver are other colors that i wouldn't mind. As far as the Navi/Mark Levinson, i am undecided. I mean, i am getting rid of my 02 Acura TL which i had a custom stereo system with Alpine subs, component speakers and MB Quart amps. I'm skeptical as to whether the Mark Levinson will please me or not. Before selling my TL, i pulled out all of my aftermarket stereo so i still have it. I don't know whether i should pick up a GS without Navi and the regular premium sound system. Then, i can just buy an aftermarket navigation system and hook my aftermarket stereo back up. Does the Nav/ML really make a big difference at the auction? Is it worth the money?
Old 11-24-05, 02:21 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome Neighbor,

Hope you find what you want. I searched cars.com to find mine. Black Cherry. MMMMMM. Anyway. If you can't find one at the auction. Here in our area," I am from Upper Marlboro, Maryland", there are several you can find online that in our area. Depending ure location in Maryland. I have found 3 black Cherries Fully Loaded (Nav/ML) in our area. So there is nice selection here if you can't find what you are looking for. I purchased mine in Pa. But good luck and have any questions drop a brotha a line.
Old 11-24-05, 05:40 PM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, only 6 GS's up at the auction? Must be pretty rare. I do have alternate colors other than the black. Blue, Maroon and silver are other colors that i wouldn't mind. As far as the Navi/Mark Levinson, i am undecided. I mean, i am getting rid of my 02 Acura TL which i had a custom stereo system with Alpine subs, component speakers and MB Quart amps. I'm skeptical as to whether the Mark Levinson will please me or not. Before selling my TL, i pulled out all of my aftermarket stereo so i still have it. I don't know whether i should pick up a GS without Navi and the regular premium sound system. Then, i can just buy an aftermarket navigation system and hook my aftermarket stereo back up. Does the Nav/ML really make a big difference at the auction? Is it worth the money?
First off welcome to the club!
The ML System is one of the BEST Factory systems. I also know it is WAY better than the factory bose on the Acura TL. But if you are used to having subs and like the sound louder than the average factory system, then you will be more than likely replacing the ML system w/ your aftermarket one. If you are going to replace the system anyways, i would recommend NOT getting the navi as an option as you will just be replacing it anyways. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: New to the Forum