GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Xenon Headlights Story

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-01 | 12:05 PM
Tracer
Driver School Candidate

http://www.mcall.com/html/news/top/a...a1_5lights.htm
Old 07-29-01 | 12:24 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Its true to some extent that HID can be an obstacle, but no way near the extent of cell-phone use on the roads. HID i feel create a better viewing situation on the road for the driver IF they have auto-leveling and is in the legal boundaries of the law.

Now, its a different story if some dude buys an aftermarket HID w/o any auto-leveling; that I believe is an accident waiting to happen.
Old 07-29-01 | 03:07 PM
whitediamond
Pole Position

Default Same thing

The same arguments came about when Halogens were introduced.
Old 07-29-01 | 05:23 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 200000

WD,
Your signature animation graphic is hilarious. Thank you for giving me a good laugh and bringing a huge smile to my face
Old 07-29-01 | 06:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

That article is a crock of 'fertilizer'.

I didn't read it all, but wouldn't be surprised if it also said HIDs frighten small children and cause greenhouse gases as well.

Give me a break.

I thought it was funny they quote a trucker who doesn't like HIDs. I fail to see how someone who sits up SO HIGH could be bothered by HIDs unless they're not auto leveling or they're adjusted all to hell.

And what about the fact that TRUCK lights are so high they blind the driver of any car in front, unless (like our GS!) they have autodimming mirrors, or ever been at a light with a huge truck on the other side of the intersection? There's an intersection near me where the road on the other side is on a slight incline so truck lights BLIND me if it's night time.

Old 07-29-01 | 09:33 PM
-Lexus-GS400-
Rookie

That ***** slap is sweet, so are HID"s
Old 07-29-01 | 10:49 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

That article is a load of horse crap. Let's quote:

Willis said a Colorado woman told him that every
time she sees the lights, they trigger a migraine.

Give me flippin' break!

But the next paragraph summed up the article perfectly:

"It's become like cell phones," he added. "It's one of those
issues that has gotten to be very emotional for some people."

Yep, emotional and STUPID! This just another case of class warfare with one side having nothing better to do than scoff at technology. They might as well labeled the article, "HIDs: You have them and I don't. I'm jealous!"

I really wonder if any of these whiners actually sat behind -- and drove -- an HID equipped vehicle. They might likely eat their baseless comments after having the experience. I've been driving around my halogen equipped 1994 T-Bird for a few days now and I CAN'T STAND the coverage of the headlights. Really, they are like most other cars on the road in their effectiveness, but the 'Bird can't hold a match to my GS. The claims made about HID are true. It's color helps my eyes to see the road and more importantly, the side of road, more clearly at night. We have quite a bit of dear up here and I can think of a couple of experiences where the HIDs helped me narrowly avoid a deer I likely would have smuckerd in my T-Bird.

My income, my car, my cell phone -- now my lights. Blow me!

Brian
Old 07-29-01 | 11:43 PM
enginyr
Banned

Anyone know how to get that BMW X5 purple hid out of the stock housing? I WANT PURPLE PLEASE
Old 07-30-01 | 04:46 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking "first star I see tonight....."

There is more scatter (glare to most) but I'm not sure that it's that much more of a bother than when QH were first around. When I fitted European Cibie Z-Beams on my VW back in the late 70s, they were illegal for on-road use at the time (translation: GE and Westinghouse, who advise DOT on lighting issues, did not yet have a quartz halogen bulb and so had no interest in recommending the law be changed ((gotta remember....sealed beams were once state of the art, in the 1940s)) until they did) and also visibly much whiter, brighter and with far sharper light cutoff than standard sealed beams. And because they were whiter and brighter, oncoming drivers assumed I had my high beams on and I constantly got flashed. Fast forward about 5 years, and there were lots of American QHs on the road (altho with nowhere near the focused beam pattern of any of the Euro sourced lights) and I didn't stand out any longer.

So, when our lights are no longer quite the status symbol by virtue of decreasing cost and increased availability in the form of standard equipment, the hoo-rah will die down..........and the whining will start all over on some other issue. There is NOTHING new under the sun.

whitediamond, I almost wet my Depends your sig made me laugh so hard............

Last edited by mooretorque; 07-30-01 at 04:48 AM.
Old 07-30-01 | 11:58 AM
GS430_4Me
Rookie

Default Whitediamond signature

I guess I'm in the minority.

I consider the signature repulsive and juvenile. I'm relatively new to this board, and expected a more civil atmosphere for such a classy car.

Do most GS owners and fans consider whitediamond's signature amusing?
Old 07-30-01 | 12:03 PM
enginyr
Banned

I think its the funniest thing ive ever seen...
Old 07-30-01 | 01:32 PM
GS430_4Me
Rookie

It seems that a Lexus owner/fan would have the intelligence to express their dislike of BMW owners in a way other than the depiction of an adult knocking a child to the ground.

I'm not a prude ... I like nearly all the irreverant material on "The Daily Show".

Also, I'm disgusted by even a suggestion of child abuse.

Whitediamond: Please re-consider your signature.
Old 07-30-01 | 03:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Whitediamond signature

Originally posted by GS430_4Me
I guess I'm in the minority.

I consider the signature repulsive and juvenile. I'm relatively new to this board, and expected a more civil atmosphere for such a classy car.

Do most GS owners and fans consider whitediamond's signature amusing?
I agree. It was somewhat funny, but we should be respectful of BMW owners. Whatever some here might think, BMW makes fabulous cars. I was in my neighbor's 540i (auto w/ sport package) this weekend and was amazed how smooth, quiet, powerful and composed the car is. The nav system sucks, but hey...

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-30-01 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-30-01 | 04:02 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

GS430_4Me????? As you are new to this board, WELCOME! Now a quick Q:
Do you REALLY percieve WD's sig as a suggestion of child abuse????
I think the "caption" that accompanied the picture leaves NOTHING open for interpretation.....ESPECIALLY child abuse!
CMON! Have we STILL not reached a day and age where things are taken for what they ARE??? Dont get me wrong, the caps are not yelling only for emphasis.....
I do see your point though....
WD? At least change the BMW owner to an ADULT figure......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Tiny