GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

info on eng mounts

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-05, 02:52 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default info on eng mounts

well after some harder then usual driving the other day , i now have the dreaded low idle/vibrations going on

i have looked the eng over throughly , cleaned tb / cleaned maf, checked tps , adjusted throttle cable all in all still some vibrations

i now checked my motor mounts and find drivers side of eng lifts during accel , so i know that mount is worn and or broken

what i need for someone who has repair manuel to scan the pages showing the correct method to extract these mounts and to replace...
Old 11-23-05, 03:00 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey lex I have the same issue. Not that noticeable but at the same time I feel it. My girl thinks I'm crazy but I notice everything. I will follow this post cause I really don't want to pay the dealer for something I can do myself
Old 11-23-05, 03:05 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blaise
Hey lex I have the same issue. Not that noticeable but at the same time I feel it. My girl thinks I'm crazy but I notice everything. I will follow this post cause I really don't want to pay the dealer for something I can do myself

i know i can examine it and do it but just wanna make sure i do it according to manuel so i dont injure something else while lifting the eng ( yes i will lift myself , i bench press 375lbs )
Old 11-23-05, 03:10 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Oh sit damn ....But My max used to be 425 what u got,.naw just playin' But that makes me want to go back to the gym
Old 11-23-05, 04:01 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that sucks ed. I thought you have to lift the motor up a little with a jack to replace mm. fresh mounts will prob feel nice. good luck.

TLW has a repair manual
Old 11-23-05, 04:39 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

you need to almost remove the engine completely to change the motor mounts. That is what we needed to do when my motor mount cracked during the TT install.
Old 11-23-05, 04:46 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

do you have a manuel

i was told just unbolt lift about 3-5 inches and replace , why would you need to remove eng
Old 11-23-05, 05:21 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant you just put a block on a jack and jack up the engine to remove the mounts?
Old 11-23-05, 05:24 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikal
Cant you just put a block on a jack and jack up the engine to remove the mounts?

looking at it from underneath , thats the way it looks to me but just wanna confirm what manuel says
Old 11-23-05, 06:08 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
looking at it from underneath , thats the way it looks to me but just wanna confirm what manuel says
you can't jack it by the pan though, right? how about tranny mounts too?
Old 11-23-05, 07:48 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know how the design is of the GS motor mounts. But if it's anything like honda mounts, you can beef up your broken mounts by filling it up with some 3M Window Sealer (Urethane). This was what some of the CRX guys were doing when they wanted to stiffen up the mounts because of the added power. But since it was stiffned up, you'll fell a bit more vibration.
Old 11-24-05, 06:46 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikal
I dont know how the design is of the GS motor mounts. But if it's anything like honda mounts, you can beef up your broken mounts by filling it up with some 3M Window Sealer (Urethane). This was what some of the CRX guys were doing when they wanted to stiffen up the mounts because of the added power. But since it was stiffned up, you'll fell a bit more vibration.

i hear ya bro but the oem ones would be fine .

does anyone have a svc manuel and could just take a moment a scan that page showing the removal of mounts onto this thread.. iwant to do the swap out tomm and do my tranny mounts while i am in there
Old 11-24-05, 02:28 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

does anyone have a repair manuel that you could look up proper procedure to replace engine mounts.. i need this info for tomm i am going to replace all mounts

will someone please scan it into this thread or email me at edgruber@hotmail.com
Old 11-24-05, 05:51 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

come on guys help a brotha out with alittle info please.. someone must have repair manuel and can take a moment to look up the procedure to change motor mounts

i ordered a manuel today so this wont happen to me again but i need this little bit of info for i want to do the swap early in the am
Old 11-24-05, 06:11 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The manual does not SPECIFICALLY have a section for removing the mounts, but is covered in the engine removal section.

I am due to change all 3 mounts,,(2 engine and 1 transmission) next week. Changing the mounts once inside the frame is considerably harder, but I don't think the dealer removes the engine ....hence there MUST be another method.

I believe it a consists of removing the two bolts for the rack and pinion, as well as the link from the steering wheel to the steering gearbox. Removing these items will allow the entire rack assembly to DROP, but not fall out because it is still attached to by way of the tie rod ends

The engine is bolted to a SUB-FRAME assembly by way of the engine mounts. The front end of the sub-frame will have to be dropped, while the engine is lifted up dead center. This will expose the mounts, which have 2 studs on the bottom that go thru the sub-frame and attach with 2 nuts, and 1 stud on the top that goes through and bolts to an aluminum bracket. This bracket is directly bolted to the engine. Access to the top nut of the mount is nearly impossible without moving the sub-frame, or a special tool and superior hand strength..

This wil not be easy, but it CAN be done. I looked at this procedure over the summer, and did not do it then, even though I had the new mount ready to go in. It is now necessary to do it, so now I have no choice. Lexus wants about $400.00 to do the mounts, and I would not be charged for engine removal. That leads me to believe that they would not be removing the engine. A cool or cold engine is mandatory.

I have been following JBRADY's instructions on changing headers, and got a lot of ideas from there. Now it makes more sense. I will do my best to take pictures and make this a DIY if I can.

THANKS

Last edited by gserep1; 11-24-05 at 06:38 PM.

Quick Reply: info on eng mounts