GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

uh OHHHH, motor noise!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-05, 05:31 PM
tone
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default uh OHHHH, motor noise!

well, it's been a bit cold here in new york for the past 2 days, i havent used my car over the weekend....went out yesterday and turned it on...noticed the start-up was a bit "lazy" kinda made that sound like it was having a little bit of trouble starting, but it did just fine....

tonight i just went back outside...to move it back a bit...turned it on and it also had the lazy start up....but when i listened closely there was a constant, clicking type sound going along with the engine which was idling kinda low.......it rev'd with the engine also...noticed that the sound faded away more and more as the car warmed up.... any suggestions would be appreciated..

do u think it has to do with the weather?.. maybe it needs anti-freeze?...HELP!
Old 11-27-05, 05:44 PM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

You might want to upgrade to a 5000 cold cranking amps optima yellow top battery.
Old 11-27-05, 05:47 PM
tone
Lead Lap

yeah that sounds like a good idea.... as a matter of fact ive got a small battery in the car which came with it when i bought it....i didnt notice until the mechanic pointed it out, the battery can be replaced....what worries me is the clicking noice that clicks along with the low idling motor...any suggestions on that?
Old 11-27-05, 05:53 PM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Look for the volume **** located on the radio and turn Clockwise!
Old 11-27-05, 05:53 PM
1st-Lex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be injectors opening,& closing,when they are cold they will make more noise.
Old 11-27-05, 05:55 PM
tone
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FunGuy
Look for the volume **** located on the radio and turn Clockwise!
lol, that would work just fine...the clickin was in the motor itself....sounded like something that was spinning was hitting something creating a constant click noise...when the motor rev'd faster...the click followed...faded once the car warmed up HELP MEH!

Last edited by tone; 11-27-05 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-27-05, 06:02 PM
1st-Lex
Driver

I hate to say it,but have you checked your oil,or changed it.Perhaps maybe you overreved it?

Is the noise coming from the top of the engine or the bottom,makes a big difference if it needs repaired.
Old 11-27-05, 06:05 PM
tone
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1st-Lex
I hate to say it,but have you checked your oil,or changed it.Perhaps maybe you overreved it?

Is the noise coming from the top of the engine or the bottom,makes a big difference if it needs repaired.
yeah i changed the oil, i havent checked it... i know im due for a change in about 1,000 more miles....couldnt really tell where the sound was coming from, sounded like it was coming from somewhere in the middle or the top... i popped the hood and it sounded like it was on the surface somewhere.....
Old 11-27-05, 06:11 PM
1st-Lex
Driver

With the engine running,put your finger on the injectors,1 at a time,& feel if the injector pulse,is in sync with the "motor noise".Before you do anything check the oil.It sounds like your hearing injector pulse.
Old 11-27-05, 06:17 PM
tone
Lead Lap

well, id LOVE to put my finger on the injectors...but im not very car savvy and i dont know where the hell they are lol....also remember that the engine is idling lower than usual, when the engine is cold it usually idles higher and drops once its warmed up....the clicking is mechanical and synchronized with the engine....that... " TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK" IS DRIVING ME NUTS! lol
Old 11-27-05, 06:23 PM
1st-Lex
Driver

Originally Posted by tone
well, id LOVE to put my finger on the injectors...but im not very car savvy and i dont know where the hell they are lol....also remember that the engine is idling lower than usual, when the engine is cold it usually idles higher and drops once its warmed up....the clicking is mechanical and synchronized with the engine....that... " TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK" IS DRIVING ME NUTS! lol
The injectors are on the side of your intake manifold,remove the plastic engine cover,& you will have no problems finding them.They will be going TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK.
Old 11-27-05, 06:26 PM
tone
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1st-Lex
The injectors are on the side of your intake manifold,remove the plastic engine cover,& you will have no problems finding them.They will be going TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK.

well if it is the injectors....is there something i can do to fix it?... or is this normal, this is the first winter with this car and i know it doesnt idle low in the summer.... this started now that its been colder...
Old 11-27-05, 06:32 PM
1st-Lex
Driver

Originally Posted by tone
well if it is the injectors....is there something i can do to fix it?... or is this normal, this is the first winter with this car and i know it doesnt idle low in the summer.... this started now that its been colder...
The answer to your first ? could get complicated,but injectors tend to be noisy when the weather is cold.IME with autos,which might i add is what i have been doing for 15yrs,if it had a valve tap,or Berring noise it would not go away when the car warms up.
Old 11-27-05, 06:33 PM
gregor4
Driver School Candidate

tone, I am recently hearing a similar noise in my GS 300. The ticking noise is cearly heard inside my car. I also rode in my cousins '01 GS 300 last night and his car makes an annoying ticking sound as well, but his can only be heard from outside of the car. I am going to try three things to remedy this sound. Change motor oil brand (currently using Mobil 1 5w30), check fuel injectors using the "finger method" described above, and lastly pull off valve covers and inspect valve clearances (possibly have worn out of spec). Anyway, the noise is so annoying now that I have been using the "radio method" to overpower the sound.
Old 11-27-05, 06:33 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

i think its the valves tappign.... on a cold morning.... the oil is thicker and takes more work to get up top....... the valves have less lubricant causing a lil tapping noise.. its kinda normal during really cold weather... most cars will do this with some miles on them

Quick Reply: uh OHHHH, motor noise!