GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Weapon R intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-01, 06:56 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is no possible way only a filter could flow so much more air! it is a physical impossibility because the stock filter itself still flows air and so does the K&N both restricting the air a bit so that it can filter, so only if you took out the filter compleatly then maybe you could get 10HP which costs nothing, except you may blow your engine if you get too much dirt in there!! :eek:

(if you are actually considering this i'm just joking never ever drive a car without a filter unless maybe its turbo'd and you have a ram thing, but thats still risky.)
Old 08-12-01, 10:18 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

y2kgs,

When you guys get all the testing done and so forth would you be so kind to post a pic of how the cold air version of the Weapon R intake on the GS4 looks in the engine compartment.. Also how about the Intake noise associated with the Weapon R.. My little brother just put on the AEM Cold Air Intake with Bypass valve on his 2000 Accord Coupe V6 and the noise is not too bad.. Since my wife will be primarily driving this car I know she will not want it overly loud or she will start whinning in my ear.. LOL

If all the claims are accurate and you all start a group buy put my name in for one.. Thanks!
I really wanted to buy the SRT one but after I get it over the border the cost will be well over $1000 CDN and from what I read it is too noisey.. If I am wrong please correct me on that statement..

Last edited by 2SAVVY; 08-12-01 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-12-01, 10:44 AM
RacingAristo

I like AEM's intake. Great sound and not too much noise.
Old 08-12-01, 10:54 AM
y2kgs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey SAVVY,

Sure I will post all the pictures once all is done. I am also planning on putting a video of the dyno run as well. That should be fun right
As for the noise of this intake. Its not as loud as SRT.
More info to follow soon
Old 08-12-01, 11:05 AM
RacingAristo

y2kgs,

Could you give me an approx. date when the info will be released? 2nd, how come Weapon R intake sucks in more air but quieter? Is it because of its tube, design and etc?

Thanks.
Old 08-12-01, 11:11 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

RA,

Most likely the Velocity stack is different in design but i'm no expert..

y2kgs,

Thanks man.. That video would be cool.. Like they say a picture says a thousand words.. So a video would say 10 thousand..
Old 08-12-01, 02:27 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

i will also post a vid of my dyno runs when i get the Apex S-AFC, unless Seung tells us the full whole and compleate story of his little Weapon*R chip. Since its made in Japan i trust it more... we'll see i'd be very interested in it if i could adjust the rev-limiter. But the S-AFC is nicer....
Old 08-12-01, 08:16 PM
GS - T.O.
Driver

This power gaining things is getting to me. I was thinking of not touching any of the engine part untill my warranty wears out, but now I don't know if I can wait that long anymore ....

Sasha, if everything all work out for you, please let me know. I am very interested in getting the same setup The possibility of extra 20 hp is making me checking this thread everyday

Y2KGS, I think it's wonderful that you are doing this comparison for everyone. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-12-01, 08:24 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

GS T.O. if you want sometime you could always come by when or after i install it to take a look see how it sounds (although it wont be very acurate with GReddy!! hahah )
Old 08-12-01, 08:33 PM
y2kgs
Pole Position

Hey GS - T.O.

Thanks, that does mean alot to me. I am just like everyone else here. We all want more power but when I first got the GS, didn't plan on doing anything to it and just enjoy the ride. FUNNY
Old 08-12-01, 09:54 PM
msray
Pole Position

Talking i want one

just let me know if we set up a group buy. More then likely im in.

Mike
mikeray_2000@yahoo.com
http://www.teamlexstacy.com
Old 08-13-01, 03:30 AM
SilverGSguy
Pole Position

y2kgs,
please do let me know when this weapon r chip is going to be available. i think for now im just going to use the weapon r intake with the s-afc i already have. if you guarantee that the weapon-r chip is better than the afc then im in for sure. btw, you can really kill the motor with an afc???
Old 08-13-01, 07:03 AM
hubbard316
Pole Position

I'm in for the chip also!! Let me know when its available.
Old 08-13-01, 07:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts
Question y2kgs - answers?

y2kgs - I didn't see a response to my questions before so here goes again:

1) How does the Weapon R chip/ECU integrate with the electronics?
2) Is the ECU owner installable? How hard?
3) How is it tuneable, only by Weapon-R or by the owner? If by the owner, I'm assuming there's some safeguards to stop the owner blowing up their engine or just serious degrading the performance somehow.
4) When's the expected availability of this kit?
5) What is your association with Weapon-R?

Last - their web site is awful... hard to figure out what one needs.
Old 08-13-01, 08:16 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Default long post, FYI

now, I am confused

from reading the thread, I did not think that Weapon R has anytype of ECU to go with it (for the GS)
weapon R only make the intake for GS

you CAN use Apexi S-AFC ALONG with the weapon R intake or any intake (not swift) if you choose to tune your car, check out Apexi website.
You CAN do it yourself, but a dyno run and Wide band 02 sensor is a proper choice for tunning it.
(if you can press your TV remote control, you can change the Apexi unit, it's that easy)

We need to educate ourself on ODBII ECU unit on any 96 or newer car sold in the US.
ODBII ECU WILL counter adjust any of your adjustment/modz ==> to keep the emission level in check.
==> that is the required for all cars sold in the US. (ODBII is not performance friendly)

under WOT, or under ~4000rpm, the car run in CLOSED loop mode (constant sampling the air mixture by the sensors), your car sensors will protect you from wild mods (MAF, O2 and Knock sensors will be in check with each other and keep your car in a safe level) which allow alittle bit of change/gain (tolerance) (showed on dyno chart) when you add intake /exhaust, but not much (does not matter you have Swift ECU or Apexi)

above 4000rpm or WOT, the car run in OPEN loop mode, the car ECU run base on a safe factory fuel curves and your O2 sensor (as a safe guard, feed back mode) only, you will notice this if you have an Air/Fuel display on your car, at WOT, your air/fuel display stays very steady on the rich side.

any change to your car ECU MAF sensor signal will effectively change the fuel curve (up to a point only, limit by your fuel pump rating, injectors, the vacumn control HVAC?? unit on your car) (and these limitation are designed specificly for your car)

So for a force induction car, you need to add better pump and better injector to compensate for this limitation

on your NON supercharged/turbo car, you can only adjust as much to your car limitation (does not matter you are using which aftermarket ECU), and when you do it yourself using the Apexi 02 display to tune, stay on the rich side of the fuel mixture, you will be just fine.

That is not to say the risk is not there when you adjust your car, but as long as you have a non-force induction car, your risk are minimum. There is no guarranty on any aftermarket mod (even just intake or exhaust) when you blown your car. Do NOT think RMM, Swift, Weapon R, Apexi or anyone that sell aftermarket will pay for your engine, if you know anyone that does this, let me know. (even the guy that sell you a radiator hose will tell your that it is not his problem when your car blown up)

I know at least 20ppl that have this unit on their other car (honda) and I have not hear any engine blown problem
I have it on my honda also for 2 years (still have it.)

Use your common sense when you try to tune it yourself, stay on the rich side, if you are not familiar with these thing, i do not recommend it, leave it to the pro. For those that want to play, all I can say is Apexi is a solid Japan built unit, built just for imports car mod.

I do not work for any company mentioned in this post. I am posting from personal experience. And I have not try this unit on the Lexus yet, but I will soon.

to response to bitkahuna questions:
the APexi unit can be install by anyone that work with the car electrical before, if you can install a pair of fog light and wire it up in the car, then you can do it, if not, i don't recommend it. Common mistake, loose wire connection in the installation==> check engine light, check your connections

There is not safe-guard when you use the Apexi unit, so check your O2 reading (built in the unit) when you do the tunning, and stay on the rich side if you want to be safe, Or leave it to someone that know what they are doing.
(common sense, you not gonna just lean your mixture by 30% for no reason, will you? hee hee)

Correct me if I am wrong or say something incorrectly , any ODBII guru out there....

Last edited by BananaGS; 08-13-01 at 08:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Weapon R intake