GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Weapon R intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-01, 09:06 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Banana i think you're the Apex'i Guru! thanks man for all that info, so the Apex'i has a air/fuel meter built into it? thanks man thats pretty important to me because i would like to monitor that while crusing. Thanks again.
Old 08-13-01, 09:13 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

from www.apexi.com website

DIGITAL SUPER AFC

Piggyback Fuel Computer

Modifies air-flow meter signal (pressure signal in some vehicles) to
optimize fuel-air ratio; Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD).

The second-generation S-AFC is a fuel computer that adjusts fuel/air ratio by modifying the air-flow meter/MAP sensor signal. The S-AFC features a user-definable, eight-point, adjustable fuel curve that can be set in 500 RPM increments. The range of fuel adjustment is +/- 50% at each of the user-defined setting points. On hot-wire vehicles, the Deceleration Air Flow Correction function is capable of curing the erratic idle and stall problems associated with open-atmosphere blow-off valves on hot-wire air-flow meter systems.

The S-AFC is capable of monitoring and replaying the following data channels in
Numerical, Analog Meter and Graph displays:
Intake Manifold Vacuum/Boost Pressure, Air Flow Capacity, Intake Manifold Pressure,
Karmann Frequency, Engine RPM, Throttle Position, and Air Flow Correction %.

Due to the complexity of this product, A'PEX recommends having the
S-AFC and other A'PEX electronics installed and tuned by authorized
A'PEX Power Excel Shops.

Installtion instruction on Supra wepage (please note this is not a GS, but the procedure is similar)
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/afc/
LexusRules, the Airfuel monitor is not a documented option on the S-AFC, but see the link above, the unit does support this feature.

lexusRules,
yes, air/fuel gauge is there, just need to connect the blue wire to the car 02 sensor signal, and choose that display option in the menu. oh yeah, all the pin number and wire color on the link above is not the same for the GS300 (i don't know that for sure, maybe), you need to call the Apexi and make sure. When I got my unit, it came with instruction on which wire to tap into for specific car, (honda for me)

you can even just buy it for displaying all kind signals the car w/o modifing the signal, it's still cool:eek:

Last edited by BananaGS; 08-13-01 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-13-01, 09:27 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

thanks man, so no air/fuel meter gauge? hm.... the numbers on supra forums dont apply to the GS300 engien right?
Old 08-13-01, 05:27 PM
y2kgs
Pole Position

bitkahuna,

here are the answers to your questions:
1> Weapon R chip is a piggy back that you connect to the stock ECU but one that is tunable.
2> Yes , the owner can install it themselves and will come with directions. Not hard at all
3> can't answer that right now but will later on. yes it has a safeguard to protect the motor
4> Once all is done with my GS Weapon R will start which should be this week.
5>my association> well I don't work for them nor am I a partner. The owner is a good friend of mine and sense I wanted to get more things out for all Lexus model not just the GS. I am helping them with what I can. So many questions but its all good. Not like other tuners

As for their web site, why don't you send them a e-mail asking them to improve their site. I have not problems getting the info. I need.

Ahn, yes they have a ECU for the intake.
Old 08-13-01, 05:33 PM
hubbard316
Pole Position

When will the chip be available?
Old 08-13-01, 06:03 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by LexusRules
so the Apex'i has a air/fuel meter built into it? thanks man thats pretty important to me because i would like to monitor that while crusing. Thanks again.
That's the first time I feel my air/fuel ratio meter useful other than cosmetics

yeah at WOT the reading is staying on the rich side. During normal driving conditions, it bounces back and forth from lean to rich. I guess that's either the OBDii making constant adjustments or just in real life combustion is never stoich.
Old 08-13-01, 06:12 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by BananaGS

Due to the complexity of this product, A'PEX recommends having the S-AFC and other A'PEX electronics installed and tuned by authorized A'PEX Power Excel Shops.
FYI the only APEXi Power Excel Shop in US I know is XS Engineering. That's why it's so expensive but it's guranteed to be right.

Originally posted by BananaGS

you can even just buy it for displaying all kind signals the car w/o modifing the signal, it's still cool:eek:
That's why i'll be needing HKS camp.
Old 08-13-01, 06:13 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: y2kgs - answers?

Originally posted by bitkahuna

Last - their web site is awful... hard to figure out what one needs.

Kinda what I was thinkin; I was pumped about finding out more, but got lost in the mess.....

Hey! That's OK, We got y2kgs to help us out!

Old 08-13-01, 10:40 PM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

Talking

GlobeCLK
any info on intake+ECU for GS300? The world's most potentious L6?
Hey man I love to see that you still like the Toyota Supra Inline 6 its a great Engine.

but dont you think that the RB26DETT did make a better engine ??? with more potential of course, in line 6 2.6 liter DOHC Twin Turbo was modified by a company named TOPSECRET in Japan with 2000hp at Crank, HKS to 1300, and Blitz to 890hp )

ANYWAYS back to the Weapon R Intake with chip or APEXI, I think its great for the price, what I do not like is some 3 months ago people where in LOVE with SRT/HFI and could not talk about anything else, and today I read some harsh words about Mo or SRT, I am neither a customer of SRT nor Weapon R, I think they all do a good job, and they are all Trying to manufacture the best products for LEXUS for people like us.

and Y2kGS hey man I really apreciate you doing all this running around, I hope its not interferring with your personel life you know hanging with us guys for info heheheh just kidding.
Old 08-13-01, 11:00 PM
y2kgs
Pole Position

Hey BBD,

Thanks for your kind words means alot to me. GS300 has more mods for it than the GS4 but time will take care of that.
From what I think about the whole SRT intake deal is this.>>> They claim that the GS4 puts out 225HP at the wheel but when I and many others did a dyno test. They all read out from 235 to 238HP at the wheel. Which means that the SRT system only gives about 6 to 8HP on top of the intake itself. Everyone should know that when you add any good intake system not just the filter. You will gain anywhere from 6 to 10HP without any ECU chip. If the SRT did really give out 30HP than no one would say anything right It was just the fact that the numbers didn't add up to what was claim and paying for much for so little and not tunable at all. I had the SRT intake as well and didn't feel all 30HP but yes it felt faster with no question. When I added the TC was when I felt the power

Whatever the case my be. We all are Lexus lovers and want more HP so I am just trying to help and assist in more mods for the GS but also for other Lexus models as well.

I'lll always have time for you and everyone one this board. Can't get enough of it
Old 08-13-01, 11:16 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by BBD

Hey man I love to see that you still like the Toyota Supra Inline 6 its a great Engine.

but dont you think that the RB26DETT did make a better engine ??? with more potential of course, in line 6 2.6 liter DOHC Twin Turbo was modified by a company named TOPSECRET in Japan with 2000hp at Crank, HKS to 1300, and Blitz to 890hp )
What defines a BETTER engine? maximum power created? displacement to power ratio? What is it?

RB26DETT is capable of making ALOT of hp that's for sure. When TopSecret first came out with the 1000hp Supra everyone was shocked. Then VeilSide's 2JZ-GTE followed with 1000hp. It's not that the 2JZ can't perform as well, but the RB26 has been VERY popular for the past few years, and alot of parts were released for it. By tuning the RB, every company can gain valuable information about this engine. That's why most companies choose the RB to tune and drop that engine into cars like the Supra.

Both engines are still increasing in power as we speak. There really isn't a limit we can see, and more important, no one is suppose to judge how good an engine is until it's FOR A FACT one engine DEFINITELY can't perform.

btw do you drive a GT-R?
Old 08-14-01, 04:06 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

y2kgs,

Are you guys working on an intake for the SC430??
Please say YES..

So by the end of the week we should have more info on the Weapon R setup??

Pictures / Pricing ect ect

BTW thanks alot for using your GS as a guinea pig for this intake and ecu.. For what ever it counts I personally appreciate the time you have spent for the betterment of all our GS's..
Old 08-14-01, 06:12 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

i agree with 2SAVVY, dude, thanks so much!

Globe... 2JZ RULES! i see no reason why the Skyline engine would be better, since it is lacking 0.4L in displacment (most companies probobly bore it out though right?) i bet Top Secret could make a 2000HP supra no problem (have they tried?) since they are the same basic engines, both built extreamly well.
Old 08-14-01, 07:32 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by LexusRules
i agree with 2SAVVY, dude, thanks so much!

Globe... 2JZ RULES! i see no reason why the Skyline engine would be better, since it is lacking 0.4L in displacment (most companies probobly bore it out though right?) i bet Top Secret could make a 2000HP supra no problem (have they tried?) since they are the same basic engines, both built extreamly well.
Sasha,

I respectfully disagree....0.4L displacement doesn't make an engine better so to speak. I think Globe is right in terms of defining the word "better engine". There are too many variables.

There is no doubt the Skyline motor is bulletproof and proven. The 2Z may be just as strong but has yet to reach the lofty heights of high HP as compared to the Skyline motor. That could be due to a lot of factors.

Brent
Old 08-14-01, 08:04 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

this is true, but what i'm saying is that i think the Nissan and Toytoa engine are both very close in design and therefore can hold the same amout of abuse, except the head are probobly different since the nissan redlines much higher, of couse i could be and most likely am compleatly off here, just my logical thinking, still have lots to learn!!

Quick Reply: Weapon R intake