GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS 300/400 owners come inside and be honest

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-05, 07:03 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DuttyLeXus
have u ever try driving ur gs through 5-8inches of snow?
Good point. When I say that driving the GS in snow is not all that bad, I'm talking about your run-of-the-mill 1-3 inch accumulation. For anything above that, I agree it could be tricky, particularly on any type of incline.
Old 12-01-05, 10:07 AM
Ducky
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the thread is still going I might as well be more specific.

First of all, I can't afford the new GS model. Even if i can, I don't want to spend that much on a car right now.

I found a GS in my price range and I'm checking it out in person this saturday. Now, I've been considering the RX300 as well since they fit in my price range as well.

Now here's the thing, I WANT the GS but the RX would be MORE IDEAL for daily driving and for all weather types. It's not like I do not like the RX, but I just like the GS better...waay better.

Also, the GS already has a Supra LSD on it. Now, I've driven my Supra with terrible sumitomo tires on black ice and had very little issues. I also drove it WITHOUT the traction control. I've dealt with the winters with POS beaters until now. I think I can manage the GS on some good all season tires throughout the winter, but my main concern is that it will only have liability coverage and i worry about certain risks that could happen. I'm wanting the GS as my daily driver. So, give me some feedback. GS or RX?
Old 12-01-05, 10:17 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ducky
Since the thread is still going I might as well be more specific.

First of all, I can't afford the new GS model. Even if i can, I don't want to spend that much on a car right now.

I found a GS in my price range and I'm checking it out in person this saturday. Now, I've been considering the RX300 as well since they fit in my price range as well.

Now here's the thing, I WANT the GS but the RX would be MORE IDEAL for daily driving and for all weather types. It's not like I do not like the RX, but I just like the GS better...waay better.

Also, the GS already has a Supra LSD on it. Now, I've driven my Supra with terrible sumitomo tires on black ice and had very little issues. I also drove it WITHOUT the traction control. I've dealt with the winters with POS beaters until now. I think I can manage the GS on some good all season tires throughout the winter, but my main concern is that it will only have liability coverage and i worry about certain risks that could happen. I'm wanting the GS as my daily driver. So, give me some feedback. GS or RX?
well we also have a 00 rx300 in the family household. i don't know how to compare the two because it's like matching up apples to oranges. but... the gs is more fun to drive and has more style at the expense of less utility and all-weather capability that the rx can provide.

wow you found gs with a supra lsd already installed? bonus!
Old 12-01-05, 10:40 AM
IcePlatinum
Rookie

I live in Toronto, and I've been driving my GS for the past 3 winters and have had no problems at all. I found that snow mode helps when you are at intersections from slipping when it's really bad. I personally would not make winter the decision of not buying the car.
Old 12-01-05, 10:41 AM
IS0LD0UT
Lead Lap

I run my 430 with a set of Blizzaks. I love how it handles in the snow. I even have it dropped with Tein CS coilovers.

As many other people have said anything over 3 inches will be tough, but on those days I just wait for the plows to come around.
Old 08-31-06, 08:07 PM
bpc23
Rookie

I know this is an old post, but I've just gotta put in my 2 cents.

I bought my GS4 this year and I drove a '93 Nissan 300ZX for the previous nine years as my daily driver. I've gotta say that the 300ZX with a good set of snow tires (Blizzak, Graspic, etc) drove through snow and ice like a TANK. In nine years I was stuck in snow only twice, both times in my driveway because the car became high-centered on the snow. Although, the 300ZX had a limited slip differential, which is not a fair comparison with a stock GS with an open differential.

I'm a firm believer that you simply need to put a decent set of snow tires on your car for winter driving. Of course, I'm now researching adding a limited slip diff to my GS because I think two drive wheels are better than one.

Brian
Old 09-01-06, 08:03 AM
Flufferiou
Lead Lap

I used to commute 113 miles rountrip a day (LI-Mahwah NJ) and my old GS was pretty much the same with my old Jetta (FWD). If you know how to drive in snow with a RWD car, then you'll be fine. Now my old CIMA was another story, worst car in the snow ever. You'll be fine with the GS, just be careful.
Old 09-01-06, 08:59 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducky
How are ya guys. New member here and pretty close to buying a gs400 as my new daily driver. Now, I'm in nyc/nj and do most of my driving here. Winter is just around the corner and I want you guys to tell me how it is driving this car in the snow. BE HONEST! be straight up with me.

The best tires i've used for winter/all season is the continental extreme contacts and will be using those tires all around the year. lets hear em!
Welcome to CL. There is a wealth of info on this site I'm in NYC myself. You know we get those heavy snow storms. Remember last year? The GS is not good in heavy snow (more than 2 inches) period. l can sttestto that with my adventurous drive heading to Boston on I 93 back in 2001. Got stuck getting on an on ramp. NEVER AGAIN with the GS That is why I got a Rav4 for those snow days. If the snow gets bad, well being that you are in NYC/NJ, mass transit is always a best bet.
Old 09-01-06, 09:49 AM
salimshah

Received 1,073 Likes on 966 Posts

Here in Austin, TX we have to worry about "ice" and not snow. I have driven in ice with RX (FWD + trac), GS400 (with vsc), and SC400 (without VSC).

It should be of no surprize that the ice handling capability listed in order are
RX (top)
GS (mid)
SC (worst)

RX is my daily driver and in ice RX is the vehicle of choice.
Another factor in icy/snow conditions are the idiots on the road. Every thing else being equal, I would like to be out there (if I need to) in least expensive vehicle.

Salim
Old 09-01-06, 02:13 PM
djjt
Lead Lap

i'm in nyc... i drove up to albany last winter and it was snowy... yeah, just drive slower, keep it in manual/e-shift... leave it in 2 or 3... you should be fine...

but actually in SUNY Albany in an empty parking lot heh... dude, i loved my GS cuz of the snow drifting and circles n stuff
Old 09-02-06, 05:06 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Welcome to CL. There is a wealth of info on this site I'm in NYC myself. You know we get those heavy snow storms. Remember last year? The GS is not good in heavy snow (more than 2 inches) period. l can sttestto that with my adventurous drive heading to Boston on I 93 back in 2001. Got stuck getting on an on ramp. NEVER AGAIN with the GS That is why I got a Rav4 for those snow days. If the snow gets bad, well being that you are in NYC/NJ, mass transit is always a best bet.
DASHOCKER, I know of the snowy winters in NY too but at least the Sanatation Dept. does a much better job at clearing the snow then these goofs down here. Anyway, I'm curious to know if you and anyone else had the the stock tires on when driving in the snow. This winter will be the first in my GS and I've been reading the posts about guys putting snow tires on. So far I've seen mixed opinions about how the GS handles in the snow mainly because it's RWD. To minimize the chances of getting stuckin the snow or spinning out, I'll probably consider getting snow tires when I remove my rims and low-profiles in a couple of months.
Old 09-02-06, 06:29 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the gs is totally fine in the snow here. we get a decent amount in upstate NY. all you really need is a set of good snowtires (i use blizzaks) on all four corners. i have my 20s with the nitto 555s, the stock 17s with some all seasons, and the stock 16s with a new set of blizzaks i just used this one past season... now that i bring that up, id like to sell the 16s with the blizzaks as i just got another set of blizzaks for my 17s which i like the look of a little better.. pm me if youre interested. the wheels are in decent shape and the tires have 3 months of use on them..also should note that i live in an apartment on top of the office we own so you can imagine the mileage these tires DONT have on them... almost like new..

edit: id also like to mention that in the past season before i got the snow tires for the gs, i would drive my old honda civic hatchback (funny winter car with b16 swap lol) when the weather got too bad or the snow got to be too much, but since the snow tires on the 16s the poor hatch sat the entire winter because it was NO problem taking the gs out anymore...with stock or low pro tires though, FORGET IT.

Last edited by upstateGS4; 09-02-06 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-03-06, 06:36 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If you have a nice new set of all seasons you will be alright. If you want the best setup for snow get snow and ice tires. These cars are not bad in snow if you can drive and you have the right tires on the car.