GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Installing chrome door handles?? please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-08, 01:08 PM
GSing430
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

well, fortunately i left an opening w/out putting all the panel back on , i was able to unlock it after snaking a wire hanger to release the child lock (left a few scratches in my door jam ....) but at least it opens now. thanks to all the responded.
Old 07-21-08, 01:15 PM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOOHOO!! im glad you were able to get that settled. now just take out that locking mechanism and bend that part so it will touch the little bar of the handle. good luck!
Old 07-21-08, 03:15 PM
illtech
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be tight if someone fabricated the 3gen GS door handle on ours or even the 2gen ES crome ones..any photochop pics of this? wonder how hard it would be to do the new handle look..
Old 07-21-08, 03:22 PM
arpham
Lead Lap

where can i get the chrome door handles for my 2002 Gs300? please pm me
Old 07-21-08, 03:32 PM
phillygs3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to do mine but I don't want the whole thing chrome I just want the chrome handles. Could this be done?
Old 07-21-08, 05:45 PM
beez43
Pole Position

just get the chrome handles and do a paint job on it.. thats the only way
Old 07-23-08, 07:16 AM
Trav7414
Intermediate

How do you guys remove the thing that latch to the handles? You know that white little plastic thing where attached to the door hadles? I removed both front and back doors yesterday, but couldn't find a way to remove it without breaking the little plastic thing. So I end up putting both doors back without putting the Chrome on. I just don't want to mess it up. Your help would be appreciate it.
Old 07-23-08, 07:32 AM
beez43
Pole Position

you dont need that plastic thing. thats why i bent upwards the part where the plastic is supposed to push down on to open the door.
Old 07-23-08, 11:59 AM
Trav7414
Intermediate

Originally Posted by beez43
you dont need that plastic thing. thats why i bent upwards the part where the plastic is supposed to push down on to open the door.
What do yo umean you don't need the plastic thing? The newer handles has that too. How can you attach it the handles and the lock if you don't have the plastic thing? You don't need the plastic for both front and rear doors too? So you recommand to break the plastic thing to remove the lock latch to the old handle?
Old 07-23-08, 12:54 PM
beez43
Pole Position

arrr.. i guess i need to do someone's handles to show you guys what is up and that im not a crazy guy rambling about bending stuff lol.. its only for the rears that dont have as much length sometimes to touch the latch that opens the lock... what i recommended was to take out the whole locking mechanism of the door, and look where the part of the handle touches the locking mechanism. it should be a piece of metal that when you pull on the handle, the part of the handle that moves pushes down on the mechanism on the lock. that piece can be bent upwards so that contact between it and the part on the handle will touch. trust me its a no brainer.. it took me a while to figure out because when i looked at it, i obviously cannot bend the part on the handle.. BUT, the part on the lock I can so I did.. been working like stock ever since..
Old 07-25-08, 09:46 AM
krazyGs3
Pole Position

I just add some nuts that fit the bar on the chrome handles, tape and tie strapped it down. rear doors open like stock.
Old 07-27-08, 08:55 PM
Trav7414
Intermediate

Finally I got mine installed. Goshhhh it take me for ever to complete the 2 rear doors. I won't do it again if I know it's this hard. The front doors are piece of cake, but the rear ones are very tricky. You have you wiggle it until it come out before you can remove the outside handle. I's post pix when I have time. Thanks ya'll for great info. Without it I wouldn't spent all these money LOL
Old 08-25-08, 02:01 AM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

So im gathering on a 98 GS300 i dont need to modify/bend anything in order for the rear doors to function correctly?

I did my Fronts on Sunday arvo, but didnt get the delivery until after 3pm so by the time i drove to the workshop, got my tools together and got cracking on it and had the fronts done it was too late to start the rears. Fronts were pretty easy although it took me a while to find the screw hiding behind the plastic clip-off panel behind the inner door handle (pop the piece off with a flat blade screwdriver) Also was a bit fiddly doing the screw that is right facing the window regulator as i had to use an open ended spanner slid in behind the door latch rod and over where the other bolt went, so i ahd to tighten this one fully before that one. Ended up wiggling the handle and holding it in the right position from the outside.

also, common sense as it may be, those black stick on dots hide access holes through to the bolts holding the handles on.

after all of that i had managed to leave the ignition on which in turn had my radio on and Auto headlights had also come on all for about 2hrs, so the overall result was a flat battery! haha So dont do that!
Old 08-25-08, 06:41 AM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap

Are the chrome handles prone to swirls?
Old 08-30-08, 12:08 AM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

Alright, just did my rears. bit of a pain in the *** but i wouldnt say anywhere near as hard as it is made out to be through this huge topic!

rear trims come off real easy once you've done the fronts, basically the same including the scew hiding behind the trim peice behind the handle. the only different one is the one pointed out by someone on the 2nd page which is hiding under the power window switches. just pop the ash tray out and then you can get hold of it to pop it up and out.

I managed to fluke the latch mechanism out of the way in about 2minutes on the first side i did, put the handle in and the latch back then moved onto the other side. Then got my brother to reassemble the door trim while i tried the other latch, turned out the handle didnt work.

So i had to remove the whole latch mechanism and bend the metal contact bit upward. Pretty easy with some aligator pliers, it is sortof on a 45deg angle, so you just bend it back to 90deg and it opens sweetly.

As for getting the other mechanism out of the way it took me about 1hr! BUT when having to remove the one on the other side again after i realised i needed to bend the latch bit, i'm pretty sure i sussed out the trick.

To get the mechanism to drop, all i did was (obviously having already undone all screws and unplugging the plugs and removing the rubber surround on the Child Lock) I reached in and got my hand onto the straight metal bit. If you look you will see, it is sortof up against the plastic of the door handle. Just pull the metal bit down and it will slip under the handle. The latch mechanism will then stop as the Child Lock hits the edge of it's little holeand you simply give it a push so the Child Lock bit slips inside the door and the whole thing will drop. Then just wiggle it out!

^Pretty sure that is the trick to it, i also did that on the other side after trying various wiggling angles for like 55mins. So try that first people!

Also i would agree with Beez43, the easiest way is to bend the latch bit to contact the rod on the handle. Sticking things onto the rod etc just sounds like a real hit and miss, pain in the *** thing to do, plus may not work quite as smoothly. I dont think there is any issue bending the latch because i very much doubt anyone would ever want to remove the Chrome handles and put the stockies back, and even if they did they could either bend the latch bit back, OR just get a dremel or whatever and cut the plastic bit off the stocky handles since it is no longer necessary. So no biggie either way

Quick Reply: Installing chrome door handles?? please help