GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Black pearl woes..

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-05, 06:57 AM
Lvangundy

Default Black pearl woes..

I installed my black pearl emblems this weekend and didn't have the best time doing so.

I started by removing the old emblems with the general recommendation of a hair dryer and floss. This isn't the most effcient way of removing the old emblems, jeesh what a pain. A hair dryer doens't heat the tape/glue that well even after minutes of passing over the area. Then, floss eventually breaks down under the high temperature. Fishing line may do a better job, but there has to be another way to remove the stock emblems - what does the dealer do? Heat gun? Special tool?

Anyway, I finally each emblem off after burning and cutting my hands by tearing through a box of floss. The "LEXUS" emblem broke in the center which appears to be the weak point. The center "L" logo was the most difficult to remove because of it's form and heavy tape/glue in the center line. The "GS430" was similar to the "LEXUS" in removal however, it is two separate peices.

After each piece is removed you're left with tape/glue chunks that are VERY hard to remove. I didn't have any solvent to remove the gunk so what do I do? Try everything else I have; WD40, spray detailer, clay bar, towel, water, car soap. Bad idea. STUPID idea. I don't know what I should have used to get the leftover stuff off so I start scrubbing with all of the above and end up with some seriously scratched paint (near the emblems) and messed up hands.

I then start to put each emblem back on and TOTALLY forgot (or got too LAZY ) to mark the original positions. RETARTED. In the light I had, I couldn't see the original outline left by years of setting, and then mis aligned all the emblems by 2-3mm. SO IRRITATING! And instead of setting them with the trunk lid up and clamping them, I closed it and decided I was finished.

I literally sat in bed last night tossing and turning because I knew it WASN'T PERFECT. I wanted to get out of bed despite having to be at work early AM and go fix it at 11PM. LOL.

So if anyone is going to switch the emblems, don't do what I did. Find another method besides the hair dryer and floss - there has to be something more efficient. Wear gloves! Find a more efficient glue/tape remover and mark the outline of the original emblems, with tape, crayon, whatever. Set the new emblems with a clamp and a cloth with the trunk up.

Now how do I get the deep scratches out and repalce the glue/tape on the back of the emblems to reapply it? (help!)

Last edited by Lvangundy; 12-05-05 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-05-05, 07:41 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry to hear you had probs. I used 10lb fishing line and it sawed through the glue behind emblems no prob. I also taped off the old ones to mark spot with blue tape. as for the old adhesive, I found my thumb worked best at kinda rolling off the old glue.

sounds like it's gonna bug you until it's right.
Old 12-05-05, 08:26 AM
JMgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Goo Gone works best to take off the old glue...
Old 12-05-05, 09:01 AM
redbaron
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any photos

Would like to see how it all turned out. Many, most people wouldnt even notice 2-3mm movement of the emblems. Unfortunately, im one of the few.

(I can have a messy room, but my car Im somewhat **** about. Go figure)
b
Old 12-05-05, 09:12 AM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redbaron
Would like to see how it all turned out. Many, most people wouldnt even notice 2-3mm movement of the emblems. Unfortunately, im one of the few.

(I can have a messy room, but my car Im somewhat **** about. Go figure)
b

bro im the same way...when it comes to my car everything has to be up to par..
Old 12-05-05, 09:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man sorry to hear that

for taking the adhesive off, you should have used the 3m adhesive remover
Old 12-05-05, 09:22 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rubber gloves + a lot of floss so your hands dont hurt while using floss

goo gone dominates the mess

put goo gone all over the emblem you are trying to take off to soften it up then saw through with the floss
Old 12-05-05, 09:43 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear , i'll be changing in a while . thanks for the heads up
Old 12-05-05, 09:47 AM
redbaron
Pole Position

Default Lessons learned

Thank Goodness for these forums. I have learned so much about my car from here. Also, these forums have kept me from making several mistakes while informing me on how to do some DIY's (like removing hideous wood trim kit installed by previous owner - that didnt exactly color match).

Now before I undertake any repairs, I always check here first.

Cheers to the CL forums.
b

Last edited by redbaron; 12-05-05 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-05-05, 10:14 AM
Lvangundy

Thanks for the tips guys..

I'll be back for try #2 with a better outcome.

Any ideas on how to get the scratches out? Not just fill or cover them?
Old 12-05-05, 10:48 AM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvangundy
I installed my black pearl emblems this weekend and didn't have the best time doing so.

I started by removing the old emblems with the general recommendation of a hair dryer and floss. This isn't the most effcient way of removing the old emblems, jeesh what a pain. A hair dryer doens't heat the tape/glue that well even after minutes of passing over the area. Then, floss eventually breaks down under the high temperature. Fishing line may do a better job, but there has to be another way to remove the stock emblems - what does the dealer do? Heat gun? Special tool?

Anyway, I finally each emblem off after burning and cutting my hands by tearing through a box of floss. The "LEXUS" emblem broke in the center which appears to be the weak point. The center "L" logo was the most difficult to remove because of it's form and heavy tape/glue in the center line. The "GS430" was similar to the "LEXUS" in removal however, it is two separate peices.

After each piece is removed you're left with tape/glue chunks that are VERY hard to remove. I didn't have any solvent to remove the gunk so what do I do? Try everything else I have; WD40, spray detailer, clay bar, towel, water, car soap. Bad idea. STUPID idea. I don't know what I should have used to get the leftover stuff off so I start scrubbing with all of the above and end up with some seriously scratched paint (near the emblems) and messed up hands.

I then start to put each emblem back on and TOTALLY forgot (or got too LAZY ) to mark the original positions. RETARTED. In the light I had, I couldn't see the original outline left by years of setting, and then mis aligned all the emblems by 2-3mm. SO IRRITATING! And instead of setting them with the trunk lid up and clamping them, I closed it and decided I was finished.

I literally sat in bed last night tossing and turning because I knew it WASN'T PERFECT. I wanted to get out of bed despite having to be at work early AM and go fix it at 11PM. LOL.

So if anyone is going to switch the emblems, don't do what I did. Find another method besides the hair dryer and floss - there has to be something more efficient. Wear gloves! Find a more efficient glue/tape remover and mark the outline of the original emblems, with tape, crayon, whatever. Set the new emblems with a clamp and a cloth with the trunk up.

Now how do I get the deep scratches out and repalce the glue/tape on the back of the emblems to reapply it? (help!)

Next time you should try using fishing line and WD40 instead of the blow dryer. For me, it was like cuting through butter!!!
Old 12-05-05, 01:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Thanks for the tips guys..

I'll be back for try #2 with a better outcome.

Any ideas on how to get the scratches out? Not just fill or cover them?
how bad are they. if you see metal, then there is no hope. if you can barely feel them with finger nails, then tons of polishing will help
Old 12-05-05, 04:46 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure why u had such a hard time When I debadged mine, I used a hair dryer and floss. The trick is to heat a letter at a time and work the floss one letter at a time. Its slow, but it works. Then after you remove the badge, you can use your thumb to rub off excess glue and follow up with goo gone. This is one of those things you just can't rush.
Old 12-05-05, 04:48 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't have fishing line use a piece of floss to saw a little bit into the adhesive, then use a Zip Tie to pull on the emblem. There are two extremes for pulling badges, either heat or cold. Sometimes cold weather is best for "popping' them off. Heat works too, but sometimes it just makes a gooey mess.
I work for the company that makes Jeep emblems. I sat in a lot in Detroit and replaced over 100 vehicle badges on Jeep Liberty's over a 3 day period last year, so I have just a tad bit of experience pulling badges.
Old 12-05-05, 05:22 PM
1st-Lex
Driver

When i did mine i used a heat gun,& a plastic body filler applicator,& did 1 at a time.

Quick Reply: Black pearl woes..