GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My opinion of the GS interior design

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-01, 09:21 AM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put it this way, the GS is a toyota no matter what and it will definitely share the same traits as other toyota cars since they are designed by the same engineers...the name lexus is only a marketing scheme so that ppl outside of japan will pay more for their cars which = to more profit for the company. Now back to the design, yes, I have to agree that the design isn't flawless and also missing alot of features (just refer back to my previous post), but with fonts that are similar to Camry? Is that a big deal?? not to me....that is just something too minor to bother me..However, like I said before, they should put a better clock in there (something that matches the indiglo guages) rather than a clock thats been used since the 80's..
Old 08-02-01, 09:37 AM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

Hey Lexus is a high class Toyota, Hence the Aristo in Japan is not called Lexus its called Toyota Aristo

they are well made cars reliable and top quality built.

One thing I have noticed that is being done and would change in the next 2 years Is LEATHER Quality, the new LS430 has great leather the GS has sorry to say cheap leather interior which can be changed yes, as a custom job that is, I know a place that I will deal with in the near future changing the whole interior leather to a higher quality leather. beside that I love my black OEM interior doesnt show signs of wearing out yet, but if and when it does I will be installing higher quality leather
Old 08-02-01, 10:07 AM
analogue
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus not raising the bar high enough

To sum things up for me, I don't think Lexus is raising the bar as high as it could. Is it good enough just to be able to say that our interior is better than a BMW or Benz? Hell no!! For all the Toyota comparisons, they are all moot points. Lexus markets and advertises itself as a luxury brand in the States and should live up to it, period...with or without the Toyota heritage. I recognize the the economic concerns, but seriously, if you can afford to drive a lex, an extra grand spent on interior improvements isn't going to hurt anybody.
Old 08-02-01, 01:11 PM
infinite007
Driver School Candidate

In my opinion... the GS has a really nice interior... I liked it the best out of all lexuses at the time I bought my car... 99... But since, I really liked the new design of the LS!!! The GS interior is of "simple elegance"... It isn't loud.. it isnt too soft... Sure it needs improvements. The clock... yea.. that's the same clock they use in the 1998 Toyota tacomas and all the other toyotas... About the Indiglo backlit panels... The new rav and the new Echo have similar designs!!! I cant believe it! About the shifter... I dont even think they should have letters down there... after all you already have that indicator on the right side of the instrument panel telling you what gear you are in.... isnt it a little bit redundant? But oh well.. I can just have a custom job done to paint over those letters... I really do hope that they change the lighting of the center console... Every single toyota and nissan has that green color... PLEASE change the color to the new blue/silver/whitish lighting that is in the new SC and LS!!! that's beautiful!! Ok.. now I'm getting nitpicky... but well.. that's about all I have to say... Otherwise I really like the interior.... Speaking of the center console, Is there any way to change out the bulbs to those white/blue/grey ones in the LS/SC?

~Manny
Old 08-02-01, 02:27 PM
BMWhntr

yeah I to feel that the interior is cheap looking. Camry and ES look the same inside.
Old 08-02-01, 03:11 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hey, BMWhntr

Originally posted by gsnav
Anyways, the gs is a toyota no matter what you say,
GsNav@clublexus.com
Exactly what I was going to say.

This is more than likely one of the reasons our cars are less expensive than others that are singular line manufacturers

i.e. BMW has no other line with which to share parts

Old 08-02-01, 05:18 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
No offense but I find BMW interiors very short of impressive.....
me too.

Maybe BMW doesn't share parts but they share the same freakin design sheet! Just different sizes parts! OH and that's very impressive.

I'll give you come claps for that
Old 08-02-01, 06:16 PM
JPritch
Rookie

Exclamation

Analogue, you have a problem with PLASTIC A/C vents, gas caps and window buttons??? What the hell do you want them made out of...gold???

You people that are complaining sure are picking at some rather insignificant things!!

***Proves my theory that no matter what one does, you can't make everyone happy. There will always be haters. God could come down from the skies and preach a sermon and there will be those in the congregation who have a problem with how he preaches.***

Notice that those on this thread who are trashing Lex have only single digit post #'s. I don't have that many myself, but makes me wonder if it's the same person posting using different aliases to support his position and cause a stir??? Just an idea.

-JPritch
Old 08-02-01, 06:20 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

The GS has the best looking interior hands-down !! Better than the 5-series, E-class and Audi. Everytime I get into a beemer, it just depresses me. I see all black and I feel like I am in the 1970's.

E-Class isn't bad but it ain't no GS.

The only interior that I really like besides the GS is the new Q.
Old 08-02-01, 06:54 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hey Sick

I don't know if you were directing your BMW message to me, but if so, no offense taken.....

I am a recent-get-rid-of-BMW driver ('00 323Ci), so I'm familiar with their newer interiors as well as their early 90s interiors from a 3 (E30) series my Mom had when I was in high school, BUT, don't lump me into a cartegory of BMW drivers you'd love to hate though.

I'd have to say that I liked the BMW interiors (flame suit on) , the newest ones IMHO are very well done.

Like others here, I consider myself a high end car guy. Although I love my GS4, I do have appreciation for other vehciles kind of in our same class, and its easy for me to pipe up about BMWs since I owned one recently.

Comparing them (BMW & GS) though is almost not worth it; to me the GS4 has a ton more luxury and comfort, oh yeah, it hauls too.

Later
Old 08-02-01, 07:05 PM
TMitchell
Driver

I traded a 540i with the premium package for my 2001 GS430. The BMW had a light tan interior and the GS has ivory interior, they are both fairly close as far as a lighter color interior goes. I like the wooden steering wheel and the gauges in the GS, aside from that I thought the interior in the BMW was nicer. The seats were a hell of a lot more comfortable in the BMW. If it were not for the constant electrical problems, I probably would of have stayed with BMW. When I read all the negative posts about other cars on this forum, it seems as if a certain percentage of owners have to constantly get positive reinforcement that they purchased the right model car. I am pretty well satisfied with my GS, but I wouldn't mind owning several other type vehicles.
Old 08-02-01, 09:33 PM
analogue
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by JPritch
Analogue, you have a problem with PLASTIC A/C vents, gas caps and window buttons??? What the hell do you want them made out of...gold???
Something other than plastic. There are absolutely a plethora of reasonable choices here.

You people that are complaining sure are picking at some rather insignificant things!!
By whose standards? Surely you can appreciate my interest in a refined interior as I can understand your (just guessing) fanaticism for the exterior body styling or the joy derived from a premium Mark Levinson system.

***Proves my theory that no matter what one does, you can't make everyone happy. There will always be haters. God could come down from the skies and preach a sermon and there will be those in the congregation who have a problem with how he preaches.***
Not exactly a spot on analogy. We, unfortunately, are paying big bucks for this product and have every justification to voice criticism. Lexus would not be where it is today without some of that criticism. There would be nothing to improve without it! I'll defer to one of their older marketing slogans: "The relentless PURSUIT of perfection."

Notice that those on this thread who are trashing Lex have only single digit post #'s. I don't have that many myself, but makes me wonder if it's the same person posting using different aliases to support his position and cause a stir??? Just an idea.

-JPritch
Let gets those scalliwags!
Old 08-02-01, 09:50 PM
Alewifebp
Driver

I think the GS interior is actually pretty elegant, IMHO. Sure, it could use more wood, and if the trend continues, more wood is on the way. It is a little too plasticy around all of the radio and HVAC.

What is actually pretty good is the plush padding on the top of the dash. It is much more plush than a Merc, and even more plush than the LS430.

While Lexus and Toyota certainly share parts (if you were them, wouldn't you?), I can't say that is necessarily bad. The window switches? How much better can you make them? The cruise control stalk? I always thought that it was elegant and functional, and is on par with a car of this caliber, and actually makes a Toyota's interior look better because of this part sharing. But, let's face it. Sit in those seats, and feel that leather. Pure Lexus. Feel how most of the components for almost anything operate smoothly and creamy. Even that little change holder thingy has a elegant feel to how it opens. Try using some of those types of things in a Merc or BMW. And, now that we are comparing it to a Merc or BMW, I won't even get in to the German's interpretation of a cupholder.

And I know that this Lexus is so much better than a Toyota, because I get ES loaners when I go in for service, and there is NO COMPARISON!

This all doesn't mean that these cars can't be improved. I think that Lexus is lagging a little bit in terms of technology and design. The current S-Class is gorgeous inside (although not as plush). For modern day, there certainly is not enough "stuff" for a luxury car. Even something as simple as the Odometer. Get a Merc or BMW, and you get a full information center. And has anyone seen pics of the new 7 Series? Talk about a leap.
Old 08-02-01, 11:43 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, 1SickLex, the first GS interior pic you posted...you cheated, it has more wood trim and a different shift **** than factory GS430....but, I am not against you on that....I just wanna know what kind of a shift **** that is, it looks really nice in the pic....and by the way, the additional wood trim on the third GS pic looks like its ORANGE...yuck!

GS interiors are REALLY good in my opinion, I don't know why u guys complain, which car has a better interior and costs less than $70k??? (S-Class is like $75k base, and its interior looks a little better than the GS if its fully loaded)
Old 08-03-01, 03:18 AM
stk

I have read all the posts above and I respect each writer’s opinion about the GS interior.

I must rephrase something that I have said earlier. At the very end of my first post, I said “the GS interior is very poorly designed“ but what I actually meant was “the GS interior design is too Toyota like”. There is certainly nothing wrong with the GS interior in terms of functionality and user friendliness: all the instruments are nicely labeled and located and I can see the meters clearly from the driver seat. However, I do not like the GS interior because the car is branded as a Lexus but has a very “Toyota” interior design.

A lot of you would say “Are you nuts! Lexus is owned and made by Toyota therefore it is not a big deal that it has a very “Toyota” interior design!” J. Well different people have different opinion on this issue and I, for one, do not agree that it is OK for Lexus to have an interior like a Toyota even though the design looks OK and works fine.

Everybody knows Toyota created and owns Lexus. Lexus, through its advertising, marketing and pricing of its vehicles, presents itself to the public as a upper luxury vehicle brand like BMW and MB. Not only Lexus is a separate brand to Toyota, but it is also in a different car class to Toyota. Since Toyota created the “Lexus” brand, ideally I think Toyota should do everything possible to make sure that Lexus vehicles are distinguishable, in every aspect, from mainstream Toyota vehicles. Toyota has done so by putting Lexus emblems at the front and back of the car (the most obvious way to set apart Lexus from Toyota) and by using more elegant and stylish body design (as in IS, GS, LS). However, I feel that not enough is done in the GS interior to set it apart from Toyota design. How hard is it to change the font used on the instrument labels, use a different shade of color for the dashboard and use different warning icon designs??? Indeed, these are little things to pick on, but they can certainly enhance the feel and presentation of the car and adds more value to the owners. I am not saying Lexus should be built differently to Toyota from the ground up, in fact I am fine about Lexus sharing the same chassis, suspension component and engine with Toyota. However, for the very least, all Lexus should be visually distinguishable (both exterior and interior) from a Toyota. Lexus should have its own character and design theme. After all, owners are paying a price premium to have a Lexus and not a Toyota. Toyota created Lexus and has spent so much money on telling people how exquisite a Lexus is… I think it is only fair that every Lexus should be as exquisite as Toyota (or Lexus) has described in all its advertisements. Models like ES and LX are just too similar to the locally available Toyota Camry and Landcrusier. Would you consider them exquisite when you can buy almost the same thing for less at your Toyota dealership? I think it is more appropriate to call them TLV (Toyota Luxury Vehicle) rather than Lexus. You might argue that I might as well call all Lexus models TLV since they are all sold as Toyota in Japan. I do not agree to that because you cannot get Toyota Aristo (GS), Altezza (IS) and Celsior (LS) outside of Japan. Models like IS and LS are definitely more “Lexus” inside and out in my opinion. GS has a beautiful and unique exterior and it has the distinctive backlit meters. However, I think it still requires more “Lexus” character inside to really set it apart from a Toyota style interior.

Please don’t think that I am saying all this to inflame others. This is just my opinion based on my experience in a 00 GS 300 (no navigation display, no rings around the meters) recently. I am interested in getting a GS and I have joined this group to read about other people experience with their Lexus.

Quick Reply: My opinion of the GS interior design