GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My opinion of the GS interior design

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-01, 04:13 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by JPritch
STK, that is some nitpicking if I've ever seen it! Letter font....???? Come on!

And who really cares about the design of the warning lights...it's all an afterthought to me and I would think to pretty much everyone else out there.

I do respect your opinion on the wood trim...but everyone has their own tastes. Personally, I am on the "less is always more" boat when it comes to interior wood trim. I personally don't really care for wood covering every inch of the dash...including AC vents. But, that's just my opinion...there are those that would disagree.

:eek:

What are you smoking??? I think BMW's have the ugliest interiors in their class. They look stale and old, kind of cluttered, and lack any flow. The Lexus interior on the other hand is styled and refined.

I give it to MB though, the CLK430 and S class have gorgeous interiors. But I sure am glad Lexus didn't attempt to copy any interior concepts from BMW...whew!

I totally agree!!! I have a friend with a 2000 E-430 and even he thinks the Japanese interior styling is much more elegant, functional, and luxurious than the Benz......I feel like everything in his car could be circa 1979(except the warning light system, its awesome!)
Everything down to the seats (hard,stail, and unwelcoming) is light years behind the GS IMO. When riding in the E-430 I feel like the target market must have been 70yrs. and older! When I look over at my buddy I swear it should be my grandfather instead. If you like contemporary, new feeling material goods (cars included) the Japs have it nailed down!
I will go out on a limb and say that a decade from now the Japanese will be SQUASHING the Germans...Consider that Lexus will soon unveil their first venture into the "Super-sedan" market.(i.e Benz AMG and BMW M-series) Also, IMO, if and when Lexus builds a "Large" sedan to compete with the likes of the S-600(or any with v-10 or v-12) it will be down hill for the Germans from that point on....Tiny
Old 09-11-02, 11:07 PM
Lindathomp
Driver School Candidate

Question wood trim care

question: what do you use to safely clean the wood trim in the GS300? I don;t want to scratch it.
Old 09-11-02, 11:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts
Default Re: wood trim care

Originally posted by Lindathomp
question: what do you use to safely clean the wood trim in the GS300? I don;t want to scratch it.
I use a wet cloth (just water) followed by a dry one.
Old 09-11-02, 11:37 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The reason the Lex and Toyota's interior are so close is because the interior's in toyota's themselves are very advanced versus the competition....I mean you ever drove in some luxury American cars... I would prefer to be in a TOYOTA ! jeesh...
Old 09-11-02, 11:54 PM
rcf8000
Pole Position

Before I bought my LS430 I test drove a GS300. My immediate impression of the car was the cheap appearance of the interior. I hope they do better on the next generation.
Old 09-11-02, 11:57 PM
LexFather

Okay, what car has a better interior than the GS. I am just curious. I find the car luxurious as I need it to be. You want more wood? So what car(s) are better?
Old 09-12-02, 01:50 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

The LS interior is better.
Old 09-12-02, 01:54 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

buttom line..

i saw very few people who did not like interior of GS.. i say.. everyone has different taste..

and i love my GS and interior as well.. i think its pretty good.. i had LS400 before and I can't say that i like LS better then GS (we talking about interior here) i like GS better
Old 09-12-02, 02:00 AM
LexFather

I agree, it is, it better, it costs 70k loaded. What other cars?
Old 09-12-02, 02:25 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I feel the GS interior is very nice and interiors in all lexus cars, especially the LS 430, are much more luxurious and better looking than the competition. I love the interior of the GS, and the only major problem i have with it is that it has too many rattles.
Old 09-12-02, 02:49 AM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Mercedes does the same thing. BMW does the same thing. They put the same materials on the M5 that are on the 325... so it happens with all companies.

I think the GS interior is sweet. What other car has an ODO like the GS? What other car has such a nicely laid out NAV system and an easy to use A/C and CD system?

Yeah, you could pay more and go with Benz, but the Benz is too boring compared to the GS. Even the AMG is boring compared to the GSs interior.
Old 09-12-02, 09:39 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

I can't believe that the original poster liked the IS300 interior more, and other's agreed! Every magazine review I've read about the IS300 points out the cheap plastic interior, very toyota looking. I've had a couple IS300's as loaner cars and I have to say I really don't like their interiors.

Regarding the GS, I do feel that without the Nav system it is very boring looking. The Nav system adds so much to it that I feel it is totally different.

When comparing to the competition, I still think that GS is near the top. I am not a fan of the older Mercs, just way too many buttons and hard surfaces. The new Mercs look like they have Chrysler quality in them now. And what's with the giant speedo that takes up the entire dash? BMW? Same forever, and I never liked it from the beginning. The only competition that I think is at least equal to the GS is the Audi A6. This car has a gorgeous interior, and every surface feels first rate. If only they could get their Nav up to Lexus standards...
Old 09-12-02, 11:13 PM
Alewifebp
Driver

I have to agree with some of your points, but flat out disagree with others.

Interior materials: While I find that some of the materials in the GS are cheap, such as the plastic in front the gauges, I have never seen a dash that has as much softness and suppleness to it than on the GS. All plastic that is practical to be covered is either covered in a fabric or vinyl cushioned substance. Guess what, I can spend double on an S-Class and get lots of cheap materials, which cars like the GS shame. Although, I will say that the actual build quality of many of the German cars dashes is rock solid. From the C and E classes, and 3 and 5 series, it is as solid as bank vault. But, they then ruin it. Ever see a German car company try to make an effective cupholder? Horrible.

And funny you didn't mention the leather. In German cars, the leather is typically very rough, where as in Lexus, it is smooth and creamy.

And speaking of smooth and creamy, and an area that is better than Toyota, is the feel of most of the controls and compartments. My friends are always amazing when they open up the center console and can't believe how something as mundane as that is smooth to operate each end every time. On the other hand, German cars with their things like that may be somewhat smooth to start, but gradually degrade over time. Anyone ever try to open up the ashtray on an S-Class?

Design of the dash: I think that the design is good looking. True, I feel it needs more wood (or maybe an aluminum option?), but the actual design is nice and free flowing. Some of the minor switches ARE shared with Toyota, but why reinvent the wheel when you have a perfectly good design, such as the stalks. If Merc or BMW made a sub 25K car, I'm sure it would share some of the same components. And, have you taken a look at some of the new Chrysler cars coming out? Now part of Daimler, and the interior shares many parts with the lower model Mercs. I'd rather see function first, form next, rather than the other way around. Remember, these controls are meant to be used, not displayed in an art gallery.

Certainly from what I have seen in the new ES and LS, I can tell you that the next gen GS will be a much better designed and more luxurious interior if they were to follow those cars lead.

Warning signs: I don't know what they look like in a Toyotal, but I know that they are effective, but they also are not very informative. The Merc and BMW's will allow you to see much more detail about settings and problems (which there will be many). And in the Mercs, you can change settings (what would be our C-Best settings) from the dash and steering wheel controls.

When I was looking for a car, it was between the GS300, 530, and E320. I went with the GS, and one of the factors was the interior quality. I realized that the 530 and E320 had solid interiors, but both were drab, and both had enough bad points about them to make them inconvenient and not as nice. The 5 series cupholders and change box are prone to breaking in the first week. And, the CD changer in the trunk??? Puhleeze! And you want to talk about drab. E320? Boring and repetetive (save for the new E-class).

I'm going to give Lexus some time, and I'm sure that the misgivings that we all have about the interior will be solved. Like I said. I have seen the ES interior of both the new one and the old one, and it is light years ahead. And even with the new ES's niceness, I still, when I get it as loaner, can't wait to get back to my GS, because I realize the areas in which the GS is superior.

Well, I didn't mean to go on a rant here, but...
Old 09-13-02, 03:03 AM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Dang, how did this post come back to life again? I recalled making a comment a yr ago and it seems like there won't be any improvement until the new GS due out in 04. I really think that the least Lexus can do for 03 is to add a rear sunshade and rain sensor but still hasn't happened....(even the new camry has a rear sunshade!!!!) And back to the old school interior clock I mentioned a yr ago...It truly reminds me of the old camry 92-96...the design and the LCD looks EXACTLY the same....Well, I already sold my 01 GS and I am gonna drive my bimmer for now and wait for the new 5 series and the new GS...
Old 09-13-02, 08:18 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Hey, BMWhntr

Originally posted by Dex

Exactly what I was going to say.

This is more than likely one of the reasons our cars are less expensive than others that are singular line manufacturers

i.e. BMW has no other line with which to share parts

TTly. agree!!! I guess that means BMW is cheap for using the same materials on a 318 as they do in an M5??
Or Mercedes using the same materials in a C230 as in a CL600??
Wha---eva....

Quick Reply: My opinion of the GS interior design