GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Defective Clear Coat

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-01 | 05:23 AM
Ira Senoff
Driver

Has anyone had issues with the clear coat flaking offtheir bumpers in chunks the size of a quarter? My front bumper suffered two such losses and right now Lexus is repainting the front bumper.

On a related topic, I have noticed that the paint suffers from stone chipping more than any other factory paint I have ever encountered. Seems Toyota/Lexus has not done anything better with the paint adhesion process since my 1989 Supra Turbo. Anyone else experiencing this or did I get a bum paint job from the factory.

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 08-02-01 | 06:39 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Maybe

Ira,

is it possible that your car has been lucky enough to participate in the Super Bowl of parking lots/garages - more commonly known as the bump and tap or, my favorite, Bumper Tag? Flexible bumpers if hit hard enough will flex, but the paint will crack making it much easier to flake off. Although it is entirely possible that it is completely unrelated and is truly a paint defect.

Wasn't it Chrysler that had a problem a few years back because the deodorant one of the employees was using was flaking into the paint?
Old 08-02-01 | 11:04 AM
chowder
Driver

i have posted on this issue before.
my bumper panel is not the prettiest thing either, but i have full fledged point chips of various depths, not flaking sections of clear like you.
i'd behoove you to check who exactly is doing the repaint. i've also posted separately on my dealer repainting my bumper to cover license mount drill holes; they did a *terrible* job and i had to get it redone at a separate bodyshop.
on your second issue, yes i am in near-total concurrence with you with respect to surprisingly poor paint durability. however, i have an 88 celica and it hasn't chipped this badly.
sometimes i think i'm more unlucky this time around. for instance, with both cars, i have had to pass salt trucks in winter. while the celica didn't take any noticeable damage, the gs has garnered a crack/dent in the clear, but not the paint. remember, this is under similar, but separate incidents.
as for chips that go thru the clear and the paint down to basecoat, i have a few of those on the hood near my headlights thanks to good ol' road debris (e.g. pebbles).
this issue, along with the uneven tire wear of the stock RE030's, and front speakers cutting-out (needing replacment), have been my most unsatisfying aspects of this car.
Old 08-03-01 | 05:21 AM
Ira Senoff
Driver

Johnny,

Definitely not bumper tag, just straight up clear coat lift. Any other reported incidnets of this?