GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Warranty items

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-05, 07:28 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Warranty items

Hello all once again. I'll be taking my 02 GS430 which i just purchased a week ago from a used car dealer. In this week of driving, i've noticed a few things that need to be taken care of. I should still be in basic warranty as i only have 42,000 miles on the car. I'll be taking it to Lexus of Silver Spring. Here are some of the things that i would like them to take care of: (1) Wood Steering wheel is fading and discoloring, (2) 16 inch alloy wheels are peeling and bubbling, (3) cd changer button is sticking and hard to push, (4) cassette tape gets stuck, (5) steering wheel shimmer at highway speeds without braking and the car pulls a little bit, (6) the shift guage lights up only sometimes at night when i turn on the lights(could be a bad fuse or something).

Have you guy's experienced any of the above mentioned problems? Do you think that i will have any problems with getting these items taken care of at Lexus under warranty? Should it take long?
Thanks for all replies!
Old 12-12-05, 07:52 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably depends on the dealer. My car was CPO and the salesman told me that "nothing is trivial, everything will be perfect with your car:" That was in response to my question " this might seem trivial, but do you think they could look at the dome light bulb, I think it might be burned out".

Sure enough, my experience at the service center was stellar. Those folks treated me like I was a king.
Old 12-12-05, 10:26 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by milellie11
Hello all once again. I'll be taking my 02 GS430 which i just purchased a week ago from a used car dealer. In this week of driving, i've noticed a few things that need to be taken care of. I should still be in basic warranty as i only have 42,000 miles on the car. I'll be taking it to Lexus of Silver Spring. Here are some of the things that i would like them to take care of: (1) Wood Steering wheel is fading and discoloring, (2) 16 inch alloy wheels are peeling and bubbling, (3) cd changer button is sticking and hard to push, (4) cassette tape gets stuck, (5) steering wheel shimmer at highway speeds without braking and the car pulls a little bit, (6) the shift guage lights up only sometimes at night when i turn on the lights(could be a bad fuse or something).

Have you guy's experienced any of the above mentioned problems? Do you think that i will have any problems with getting these items taken care of at Lexus under warranty? Should it take long?
Thanks for all replies!
depends on when the orginal owner got it
call the dealership up give them ur vin and ask when was the date of first use. if ur in within ur good. then all ur repairs are free for now. more than likly they will give u a loner to use while ur car is in the shop
Old 12-12-05, 10:50 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for all replies!
Some of these items sound like they might be warranty but others do not. 1) possible 2) not clear from your description, I don't understand how alloy could peel and bubble. Perhaps you meant to say chromed wheels which could definitely peel or bubble but then the question is who did the chrome, are these aftermarket or are they OEM and covered by Lexus warranty? 3) this might be covered unless it is do to spill or other owner caused contamination 4) same thing here 5) shimmying steering wheel and pulling may be alignment or wheel balance problem neither of which would be covered 6) sounds like a loose connection but again could be do to someone spilling coffee or coke on the center console. Good luck with these items, let us know how it turns out.
Old 12-13-05, 06:23 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Providing the 4 year warranty hasn't expired and if your local Lexus dealership is anything like mine, they will find a way to cover it. One thing they won't cover is obvious abuse. Hope it all works out.
Old 12-14-05, 02:45 PM
Insomnia
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep us updated witht he outcome... I am interested to see what they say about the Steering wheel.

Good Luck
Old 12-14-05, 06:05 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Insomnia
Keep us updated witht he outcome... I am interested to see what they say about the Steering wheel.

Good Luck
Okay, here's an update:

I took it in to Lexus of Silver Spring yesterday morning. My service advisor said that the wheels are only covered up to 25,000 miles, plus they looked like that had been repaired before. For the stuck disc changer button and cassette deck, he ordered me a whole new radio unit and it should be in sometime this week. I'll take it in next week to get that replaced under warranty. I'll also get the light on the shift guage fixed under warranty. For the shimmy in the steering wheel, he recommended me to get my tires rotated and balanced, so i let them do it(paid $55) and it drives better than new! For the steering wheel, he said that it may not be a definite replacement, because he has seen other wood steering wheels with the problem(some have turned pinkish or orange he said) and it is due to the lotion that the previous owner may have used on their hands. He did tell his manager and his manager looked at my steering wheel. He called the regional rep. to see if he can get the item warranteed. My service advisor said that he would call me once he gets an answer. All of this was done in about an hour. I am thoroughly impressed with Lexus' service so far (way better than Acura's)

Hopefully, they'll just warrantee the steering wheel
Old 12-15-05, 07:05 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Hey that's good news, sounds like you got yourself a great dealership willing to go to extra lenghts to keep the customer happy.
Old 12-15-05, 09:48 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, here's an update:

I took it in to Lexus of Silver Spring yesterday morning. My service advisor said that the wheels are only covered up to 25,000 miles, plus they looked like that had been repaired before. For the stuck disc changer button and cassette deck, he ordered me a whole new radio unit and it should be in sometime this week. I'll take it in next week to get that replaced under warranty. I'll also get the light on the shift guage fixed under warranty. For the shimmy in the steering wheel, he recommended me to get my tires rotated and balanced, so i let them do it(paid $55) and it drives better than new! For the steering wheel, he said that it may not be a definite replacement, because he has seen other wood steering wheels with the problem(some have turned pinkish or orange he said) and it is due to the lotion that the previous owner may have used on their hands. He did tell his manager and his manager looked at my steering wheel. He called the regional rep. to see if he can get the item warranteed. My service advisor said that he would call me once he gets an answer. All of this was done in about an hour. I am thoroughly impressed with Lexus' service so far (way better than Acura's)

Hopefully, they'll just warrantee the steering wheel
First off, congratsulations on the car. Sounds like you have a terrific dealer. Good luck on the sterring wheel replacement, they are expensive.
Old 12-15-05, 06:26 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

I just got word back from Lexus of Silver Spring and they said that they can do nothing regarding the steering wheel. Maybe i will try Lexus of Annapolis and see if i get a different answer.
Old 12-20-05, 09:25 AM
milellie11
Intermediate

I just got word back from Lexus of Silver Spring and they said that they can do nothing regarding the steering wheel. Maybe i will try Lexus of Annapolis and see if i get a different answer.
Okay, so i took it to Lexus of Annapolis yesterday and they have excellent service! I just showed the service advisor my steering wheel and he said that it is a little cloudy, so without hesitation, he placed an order for a new steering wheel and said that he will call me when it comes in. The whole process took me only about 5 minutes, no questions asked! I'm really impressed.
Old 12-20-05, 09:34 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus of Annapolis are great. Of all the dealers in the DC/MD/VA area. Then agian there aren't that many, they are the best. I have taken my car there numerous times and the service is off the hook. Sometime I rather seat in the waiting room than go home because it so comfortable and they treat you like a King. I am not surprised that they ordered a new one for you. Good luck on your new Lexus.
Old 12-20-05, 11:18 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, so i took it to Lexus of Annapolis yesterday and they have excellent service! I just showed the service advisor my steering wheel and he said that it is a little cloudy, so without hesitation, he placed an order for a new steering wheel and said that he will call me when it comes in. The whole process took me only about 5 minutes, no questions asked! I'm really impressed.
Good to hear