GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Antenna connection must be loose...where's it located???

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-05, 07:18 AM
soyhead
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STILL BROKE - Antenna connection must be loose...where's it located???

so the past two days when i have turned my car on the FM/AM radio has been nothing but static, i get in later and turn it on and the radio works just fine the CD player always works and so does the tape deck.

seems that the antenna connection is just probably loose, but where is the power antenna actually located?

or do you think the connection in the back of the stereo may have just come loose?

anyone else ever have a similar problem with their '99 GS400?

Last edited by soyhead; 01-18-06 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-14-05, 09:50 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ask and you shall recieve.....

Pete
Attached Thumbnails Antenna connection must be loose...where's it located???-gs-antenna.jpg  
Old 12-14-05, 12:24 PM
soyhead
Driver

Originally Posted by PHML
Ask and you shall recieve.....

Pete
thanks, its working today but i am sure it will go out again tomorrow, will check the connection at both ends
Old 12-30-05, 07:58 AM
soyhead
Driver

went out again

anyone else have a similar problem with their '99 GS400?
Old 12-30-05, 03:16 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by soyhead

seems that the antenna connection is just probably loose, but where is the power antenna actually located?
There is no POWER ANTENNA. The antenna is located in the rear windshield. The cable is as shown in the diagram.

For Pete: what's a choke coil?
Old 01-16-06, 03:36 PM
soyhead
Driver

so i still cant figure this out, i looked around the trunk and couldnt figure out which wire was for the antenna...i did however find out my sub was replaced at one time and there was also a hard wired cell phone i believe...i took pics of the wires, anybody know what is what

Old 01-16-06, 06:18 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

not in the trunk its in the passenger side pillar in the back..between the door and the back glass...
Old 01-17-06, 02:18 PM
soyhead
Driver

Originally Posted by GSoup
not in the trunk its in the passenger side pillar in the back..between the door and the back glass...
THANK YOU SO MUCH

as soon as i took that piece off the radio turned on instantly, none of the wires were knicked though so have NO IDEA as to why it wasnt working but hey now it is

also when i was taking the piece off i noticed the back seat was not attached in that corner and it looked as if that piece had been taken off before due to the rubber molding not sitting perfectly

so my ? is, that bolt that protrudes from the trunk and attaches to the seat, is there a piece that the bolt is supposed to snap into there is a metal shaped piece that looks as if it is supposed to hold something for it to snap into
Old 01-18-06, 02:46 PM
soyhead
Driver

it went back out again

when i put the pillar back on yesterday everything was working fine, i even turned the car on and off several times to make sure, i go to start it this morning and it wasnt working and the car hadn't moved even an inch

so i take the pillar off just now before i left work and it wouldnt come on, no matter how much i shake the wires or anything

on my way home i was listening to the static from the radio and magically you could hear the thing tune in and out, it comes on for a few min than just goes away...i hit big bumps on the road and nothing, it seems to tune in and out for no apparent reason

do you think my modulator went bad i stopped by the toyota dealership on my way home because its around the corner and they offered no help, they even tried telling me that the gs shares NO parts with any toyota LOL, i may go to the lexus dealer tomorrow near my work but i'm trying to avoid getting raked over the coal$
Old 01-18-06, 05:22 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

check your PM
Old 01-18-06, 06:39 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i have the same issue with my radio. i barely get any reception. sometimes it work good and some times its bad. what are the fixes if there is any..?
Old 01-20-06, 09:09 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The gray wire that's wrapped with tape or something is actually a PREWIRE (factory) for the Lexus cell phone option.
Old 01-21-06, 04:29 AM
soyhead
Driver

Originally Posted by engin_ear
The gray wire that's wrapped with tape or something is actually a PREWIRE (factory) for the Lexus cell phone option.
yeah i found that out after following hte wire back up to the same place where the antenna choke coil is located on the passenger side. the antenna hooks up twice to the top of the rear window and hte the cell phone gray wire hooks up to the bottom of the window. all connections are tight so im assuming the choke coil is bad maybe...anyway i can use a voltmeter to check it out?
Old 02-03-06, 07:37 AM
soyhead
Driver

broke down and took it to the dealer today, $117.50 just for the 1 hr diagnostic to find the problem, its gonna be extra to fix it...my service rep was a chick who had no idea what i was talking about and right away said i may need a new radio, this doesnt look like its gonna be good i gave her the pic above and the troubleshooting guide Gsoup emailed me to help save the tech some time but she wanted to throw it away
Old 02-03-06, 08:11 AM
soyhead
Driver

basically kid who had the car before me had all kinds of **** hooked up and its causing interferance now they wont fix it because whoever worked on it before hacked into the stock head unit and lexus wont touch it. they recommend i take it to tweeter for them to try and fix it. they also offered to replace my stock pioneer head unit for the cheap price of $1450 + labor

Quick Reply: Antenna connection must be loose...where's it located???