GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

WARNING--Long Post from a Curious Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-01, 03:29 PM
98gs4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Was in same position

I was in the same position as you in regards to either the TL type S or a GS4.. I drove both vehicles a few times and decided that the RWD was the key for me. The TL was a very nice car, but almost to family, Accord for me.. Price - well I had to get into a used one with 30,000 miles in order to be price comparable, but it is lexus certified to 100,000 miles and that is just as good as buying a new TL from the dealership. Best of luck to you.
Old 08-06-01, 07:48 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Despite my fear at sounding like a broken record, I would like to thank you all for your level-headed, intelligent advice and opinions. I had the opportunity to ride in a friend's GS300 this weekend, and I must admit I was very impressed. Now that I've had the chance to spend some time in one on the road, I'm starting to notice the many little things that set Lexus apart. Although Acura is very impressive and, as many of you have pointed out, the TL-S is a fine car for the money, Lexus indeed provides a lot more for the price difference.

I've still got a year before I have to make the decision, and in the meantime there are rumors of a six-speed manual for the Acura and a complete redesign including more performance for the Lexus. If I had to make the decision today I'd be ordering a decked-out GS430, due in no small part to your help!

Thanks again!
Old 08-06-01, 06:52 PM
AC's TL/540i
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by MEMYSELFNMYG300
lets just put it this way. i test drove an acura cl-s (i knwo its dif. from tl but heck there all alike. any ways.... when i test drove a acura and stoped at a signal people saw the car and were looking like i was just another guy with an acura. now when i test drove a lexus and stopped @ a signal people who didnt have power windows in there car rolled down there windows to tell me how luxurios my car looked and how gr8 i looked in it if i were you i would go for the GS it can almost beat those 2002 m3's which are also very nice.
What an interesting experience indeed. I guess I never thought of the GS as a "exotic" looking car that drew attention unless modified.

In respect to the topic, I'd say based on price difference, go check out the GS300. I personally think the car is very awesome yet your wallet won't get penalized. I don't own a Lexus but drove my buddy's GS300 and it is very nice indeed. It was quite a break from my "stiffness" from my 540i SP and the nice smooth feel of the GS300. I also own a TL and I'll admit that the car is very smooth, but still found the GS to be superior in build and quality. But remember the TL/TLS will keep you checkbook under $30K where as the other boys will run you $40K-$55K.

Good Luck and hope you make the right decision for you.
Old 08-06-01, 07:12 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish Honda(Acura)would make rwd sedans for those of us that like that sort of thing.They really are nice cars to own and drive.
Old 08-06-01, 07:32 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GS300 is basically a GS400/430 without the MONSTER PERFORMANCE I'm happy about it's stock performance, of course it can't beat any V8s (except my old Cadillac) but hey on high-end it PULLS VERY HARD. Personal experience. Against any car.

And 300s are alot cheaper, somewhere around 7k to 8k. If you don't need all that MONSTER PERFORMANCE then GS300 would be perfect. Quality, material, etc. unbeatable.
Old 08-07-01, 12:33 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Unfortunately (for my wallet, at least), I do want MONSTER performance! I couldn't get a GS300, because every time I saw a GS430 I would realize what I coulda, shoulda, woulda had. I agree that the 300 is a great package, suitable for most people. I just can't help but get the bigger, badder engine, though.
Old 08-07-01, 01:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally posted by Iceman
Unfortunately (for my wallet, at least), I do want MONSTER performance! I couldn't get a GS300, because every time I saw a GS430 I would realize what I coulda, shoulda, woulda had. I agree that the 300 is a great package, suitable for most people. I just can't help but get the bigger, badder engine, though.
I totally agree. GS300 is a very nice car. But the V8 response just had WAY too big a 'grin factor' to pass up.

I always wanted a RWD V8, and finally got one... nooooooo regrets.
Old 08-07-01, 01:47 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hmm........

that's tough.

RWD sport sedan V8: GS400/430 is the best choice.
RWD sport sedan L6: GS300.

what about, AWD with MONSTER PERFORMANCE? --> WRX.

But hey you don't get any luxury. So yah, that sucks.... I say GS400/430 because at least you're not gonna regret anything afterwards (maybe except you spend more money than expected )
Old 08-08-01, 09:19 PM
rbarker

Originally posted by Iceman
I'd like to thank everyone for their opinions so far. There has been a minimum of inflammatory nonsense (although one person did tell me, just like I asked everyone not to, that if I can't tell the difference then I shouldn't get the Lexus! ).

I'm sorry, but this is a valid opinion. It's based on first hand experience with both vehicles and logic.

To restate it simply, I find that the GS is a superior vehicle. If you don't then I can't imagine why you would fork over another several thousand dollars (up to $25K depending on models and options) to purchase a GS when you would be just as happy with a TL.

I sorry that my answer was not what you wanted to hear.
Old 06-10-02, 09:42 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I went back and dug up my very first post here at ClubLexus--fascinating reading! Of course you all know now how my purchase decision turned out. Do you think I was swayed at all by what I read here?

Thanks again, guys. I LOVE this car!
Old 06-10-02, 09:55 PM
ARIST
Rookie

Default Iceman, this is what I recommend...

hi iceman. my name is Gary, I myself am a sales consultant at a Lexus dealership and am also a pround owner of a Lexus GS300. my opinion might be biased by my job and myself owning a Lexus, but here are a couple great website to help you make an intelligent decision:

http://www.jdpower.com/
- Check out the reliability and especially the initial quality survey from the customers themselves. Remember, these are NOT the statistics that the dealers provided but the users' very own.

http://www.finestsedan.com/
Here you will find report from a third party company which did an extensive comparison between all the high class luxury sedan themselves. See for yourself!

Good luck! Let me know if anything I can help.

Best,

- Gary
Old 06-11-02, 05:02 AM
Murph
Pole Position

Iceman,

You chose wisely...

I also had exactly the same dilema. However, I chose a CPO 99 GS400 vs the new GS430 as I pile on the miles very quickly. You'll never regret your choice. Whenever I see a TL now, I see a nice car but so vanilla looking.

Good luck

Murph
Old 06-11-02, 07:07 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

Congrats on the 430!!!

I also had a similar decision to make, with an added choice...

Instead of going out and buying a new GS4, I ended up keeping my "old" 1st generation '95 GS3 and modded EVERYTHING!! The wallet and my conscience wouldn't have allowed me to do that to a new car. The drool rolling down the side of Beemer and GS4 owner's faces tell me I made the correct decision for me.

I still love my car and plan on having it for a very long time.

Also, wait until you take your car for service the first time...that is when you will really appreciate your choice! When your personal service writer meets you at your car, opens your door and greets you by name as he is ushering you to the (usually) brand new LEXUS courtesy vehicle you will be driving in the interim...that smile will be a permanent fixture on your face!

Congrats again!!

Last edited by Rico's Revenge; 06-11-02 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-11-02, 12:05 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

whoa! two Iceman's!!!

the last Iceman already got the GS430 and his wifey scratched it!

Last edited by GSquicksilver; 06-11-02 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-11-02, 12:34 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally posted by GSquicksilver
whoa! two Iceman's!!!

the last Iceman already got the GS430 and his wifey scratched it!

Hellooo (tap tap tap).... McFLY!!!!

GSQ - same guy, just read up a couple of posts.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-11-02 at 12:43 PM.

Quick Reply: WARNING--Long Post from a Curious Newbie