GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Im Getting New Rims!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-01, 01:01 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by MEMYSELFNMYG300
and + all yall rich as*'s have like 5grand to spend on rims..... im 16 years old almost 17 and i bought a GS300 and i dont work period. lol ima start off with some cheap stuff obviously then move up to compitition level when i get some more $$$$ and me and the word "saving up" dont go well together. i buy rims for 500 and sell it for a grand.. thats how i make money.. not going into too much info. so go ezy on me :< p

You're almost 17 and got a GS300 and don't have money for good rims. So what? When I was 17 and got my GS300 I didn't have money for rims either. I'm now 19 almost 20 and still don't have money for rims. That doesn't mean I'm gonna put some crap on my car. If you don't have money, dont' worry just start saving or MAKE MONEY BY GETTING RIMS FOR 500 AND SELL FOR A GRAND ( ). I could've bought some fake Advan Model 5s for 800 bucks including tires but HELL NO!

Do it right the first time. Welcome to the poor-GS300-owners club.
Old 08-03-01, 01:25 AM
Sc400on20s
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I like the stockers better than some knock-off wheels!!
Old 08-03-01, 01:39 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

MeMySelfNMyG300 - Hey, can you pick a shorter name?!

Ok, here's the deal with Giovannas...they have a wheel NAMED the MAE but it's gotta be, at best, some license deal with MAE Germany. MAE Germany is a Mercedes Benz tuner that happens to make their wheels fit Japanese cars too (114.3x5) Most of Giovanna wheels are knock offs of some sort. The MAE Germany wheel was around before Giovanna was even in existance.

If you like that style of wheel, I would say buy the REAL MAE's (Germany's)...the one in that photo (the LS430 with the Exclusive body it) has a set of REAL MAE Germany multi-piece wheels.

Giovanna is mostly a knock-off company. They have a few wheels that are original but they're wheels aren't worth the money (quality wise). Not to say they're horrible, but for the money, you can buy a lot better.

As for your age, age has nothing to do with cheeziness. Buying fakes and what not is cheezy. Trying to act like you're big pimpin' is cheezy. Like others have said, don't do knock-offs! Do it right the first time.

If you can't afford it, SAVE UP. Don't be so impatient...wouldn't you rather drive around on stock rims and have people notice your car as being a nice car rather that noticing that you have some crap *** wheels that degrade the nice car?

Come on, I know EVERYONE has looked at another Lexus with some wacked *** mod (whatever it may be) and just thought to themselves, "they should have left it stock!"...
Old 08-03-01, 04:39 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UUUHHHUUUMM....Yep, like CHROME rear tail light rings and CHROME trunk bar....Looks like something from pep-boys....That wont be a popular response....Just MO though.... Tiny

Last edited by tinygs; 08-03-01 at 04:50 AM.
Old 08-03-01, 07:21 AM
kuruption213
Pole Position

i posted a thread awhile back talking about knock-offs and everyone gave me good advice and told me to stay away. Now I'm going to get a great sets of Rays, when I save my money which will be just in time for next spring. I say save up, the Rays in my case aren't much more expensive then the knock-offs i wanted I've gotten a price for 2200 with Kumho tires add an extra 500 after shipping and installation you are gone for under 3K.
Old 08-03-01, 08:41 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by manaray
MeMySelfNMyG300 - Hey, can you pick a shorter name?!

Ok, here's the deal with Giovannas...they have a wheel NAMED the MAE but it's gotta be, at best, some license deal with MAE Germany. MAE Germany is a Mercedes Benz tuner that happens to make their wheels fit Japanese cars too (114.3x5) Most of Giovanna wheels are knock offs of some sort. The MAE Germany wheel was around before Giovanna was even in existance.

If you like that style of wheel, I would say buy the REAL MAE's (Germany's)...the one in that photo (the LS430 with the Exclusive body it) has a set of REAL MAE Germany multi-piece wheels.

Giovanna is mostly a knock-off company. They have a few wheels that are original but they're wheels aren't worth the money (quality wise). Not to say they're horrible, but for the money, you can buy a lot better.

As for your age, age has nothing to do with cheeziness. Buying fakes and what not is cheezy. Trying to act like you're big pimpin' is cheezy. Like others have said, don't do knock-offs! Do it right the first time.

If you can't afford it, SAVE UP. Don't be so impatient...wouldn't you rather drive around on stock rims and have people notice your car as being a nice car rather that noticing that you have some crap *** wheels that degrade the nice car?

Come on, I know EVERYONE has looked at another Lexus with some wacked *** mod (whatever it may be) and just thought to themselves, "they should have left it stock!"...
Manaray,

In order to save you time with threads like these you should...

a) Create a generic text paragraph concerning knock-off rims and cut and paste it everytime a thread like this comes up.

b) Ask MKilty to put your paragraph in the FAQ.

I know you mean well and I think we all mean well BUT aren't you getting a little tired everytime you have to post the same thing?

I definitely feel that this subject should be in some FAQ because it is VERY useful information that every Lexus owner should know about.

Nowadays, I check out all the Integras and Civics to see if the rims are knockoffs and then I laugh at how cheezy it is even on those types of cars...

Your new nickname should be manaray - The Knock-off **** - "No Wheels For You!!! Get Out!!!"

Brent
Old 08-03-01, 03:02 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by tinygs
UUUHHHUUUMM....Yep, like CHROME rear tail light rings and CHROME trunk bar....Looks like something from pep-boys....That wont be a popular response....Just MO though.... Tiny
Are you directing it to me? I will agree with you on the chrome rings, looks too bling bling after a while along with my rims, so i took it out. The center trunk bar made the rear stands out. There are a lot of good feedback from the trunk bar, especially on a black car. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is a POS.
It takes some guts to try some new stuffs, like TRD/L symbol, so... be cooh okay?
Old 08-03-01, 03:09 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is ok, wei. that was just tiny's HO. no biggie.

we all LOVE the Equips, right?

see you soon.
Old 08-03-01, 03:19 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by gsintensive

Are you directing it to me? I will agree with you on the chrome rings, looks too bling bling after a while along with my rims, so i took it out. The center trunk bar made the rear stands out. There are a lot of good feedback from the trunk bar, especially on a black car. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is a POS.
It takes some guts to try some new stuffs, like TRD/L symbol, so... be cooh okay?
Hahahahaahah....Wei..It is absolutely not directed to you nor anyone else, and is definitely not meant to offend anyone. Just MO and really more of a joke than anything....I respect other peoples tastes and opinions and I realize that we will never ALL agree on mods or cosmetic changes....If that were the case I think we would all be bored as Hell with each other. Its alot more fun knowing that we all have something just a little different than the next guy. I knew someone would bite me if I posted that though....hahahahahaha
Peace, Tiny
Old 08-03-01, 03:21 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

hehe it's cooh, the chrome rings really suck, i took it off after a month, but if you have a black car, chrome bar would add a bit more elegance
Old 08-03-01, 04:21 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Angry

Yo MMMGS3, You go boy! Any and all modifications including rims, be it "brand name" or otherwise is all good with me. It's your bread and your call and that's all that matters. If any of the fellow members try to knock you for that....Well you know what they say about opinions!
Old 08-04-01, 06:02 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Brent - Yes, I do get sick of typing it ever time...and I'm sure people get sick of reading it...but I really hate to see someone screw up a perfectly good Lexus!

As for your FAQ idea, hehehe, already working on it...and it'll be more technical...not just "knock-offs suck" (though they do).

Chrome, in general, is bad on wheels because it's too brittle and will tend to crack in high stress areas of wheel. Which is why if you must have "bling bling", I recommend HIgh Polish instead...

At any rate, 1SickLex, sorry to hear about the chrome peelin' off...but you KNEW better than to get knock-offs! Are we gonna see the wheels on ebay any time soon?