GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Tint law in NJ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-01, 07:16 PM
speedracer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know the regulation in New Jersey regarding tinted windows? My new GS has a nice dark(but still able to see through) tint applied by previous out of state owner on all glass and I am being told I will have to remove to pass inspection.
If I have to remove, is this a problem. How about the back window with the degogger wire?
Old 08-02-01, 08:29 PM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

In NJ you're not allowed to have tint on the driver and passenger side windows or on the windsheild...i.e. tint banner, otherwise it won't pass inspection.

Now, that's only the case if you go to a free inspection station....IF you go to a different place that does inspection like a gas station, tint is 98% overlooked, but the inspection will cost you around $40...the more illegal stuff you have the more the inspection will be...take it from me I had to pay $75 for inspection on my Honda!

Tint is usually no big deal to police around here as long as they can see you through it at night...but if the cop wants to be a ***** about it then it will cost you about $120 ticket for tinted windows.

hope that helps you...enjoy your new car!
Old 08-03-01, 05:18 AM
Ira Senoff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speedracer,

The previous post is correct but it doesn't go all the way. In some NJ municipalities, the tinted windows ticket is a mandatory appearance. The judge, from the bench, will ORDER you to remove your tint. Should you fail to do so and end up back in his/her Court, you may be found in contempt of court, assessed an additional fine and/or an overnight in the county lock-up.

I am a former (acting) municipal court prosecutor for the City of Hackensack as well as one of NJ's worst offenders of the tint laws during the late 80's early 90's.

If you get into a problem, e-mail me.

Ira
Old 08-03-01, 05:35 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Ira Senoff
Speedracer,

The previous post is correct but it doesn't go all the way. In some NJ municipalities, the tinted windows ticket is a mandatory appearance. The judge, from the bench, will ORDER you to remove your tint. Should you fail to do so and end up back in his/her Court, you may be found in contempt of court, assessed an additional fine and/or an overnight in the county lock-up.

I am a former (acting) municipal court prosecutor for the City of Hackensack as well as one of NJ's worst offenders of the tint laws during the late 80's early 90's.

If you get into a problem, e-mail me.

Ira

Your just the person that I am looking for Have any tips on NY law? I think its the same as NJ !

Thanks!