GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

adhesive removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-01, 07:36 PM
speedracer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my new GS 400..awesome car! One problem I hope you can help with. Previous owner put velcro strip on top of dash to mount his radar detector. I have tried many cleaners to remove reidue but nothing so far works. I am afraid to go to strong (like laquer thinner or such) for fear of damaging surface. A neighbor suggested Skin So Soft. Please help with this one. I hate how this stands out on the dash of an otherwise gorgeous car!
Old 08-02-01, 07:53 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Have you tried Goo Gone?
Old 08-02-01, 08:05 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With all do respect to Marty.. Don't use GOO GONE on your dash.. Will fade the material on the dash.. Try using a hair dryer and heat the area and you should be able to get the adhesive off with your finger.. Just work slowly and it should work..

Hope that helps!
Old 08-02-01, 08:16 PM
NVRENUFHP
Rookie

3M adhesive remover will take the adhesive off, guaranteed. Whether it will damage the dash is another question. I use the stuff all the time to remove adhesive from stuff like plastic, fiberglass, and painted surfaces and it rarely attacks whatever I am trying to remove the adhesive from. Occassionally, it does, however. Test it on an inconspicuous part of the dash to see what it does to the vinyl.
Old 08-02-01, 11:19 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I didn't know Goo Gone would fade the dash. When I saw the subject of the thread that is what first popped into my head..."Goo Gone". That stuff is awesome!!!

The good thing, I think they have an automotive version of Goo Gone - may be more dash friendly. Try and find it if you can, if not just use the regular stuff but clean the dash after use in case it does cause harm. As a matter of fact I just used that stuff today...good stuff to have around.
Old 08-03-01, 06:11 AM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

I would also recomend a hair dryer man ,,, just heat it up wipe it off easy steps and the safest. if it doesnt work (I have never had to remove adhersative spray before) try the 3M. hope this helps u man good luck
Old 08-03-01, 06:09 PM
speedracer
Driver School Candidate

OK, I tried the hairdryer idea until my fingers were burned and sore from rubbing the spot (about 1" x 2").
Did not help. I also tried WD40 because it will remove some adhesive but it failed. At Lexus dealer they tried Simple Green (I did not understand that) and a mild solvent to no avail. It seems that most of the residue is off except for this white thin film which still has a sticky feel to it. Would laquer thinner hurt the dash? I am going crazy with this. Your thoughts are appreciated!!
Old 08-03-01, 07:32 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry the hair dryer didn't work but how about trying vegetable oil.. I use it from time to time to get paint off my hands when I can't find any hand cleaner.. I know that won't hurt your dash but if you tried WD-40 and that didn't work maybe the veggie oil won't work either.. Could you post a pic of this spot on your dash.. Might help me figure something out for you..

But try soaking an end of a towel with some vegetable oil to scrub and hope for the best..

Lacquer thinner will hurt your dash sorry to say.. Dash on the GS is made from a porous vinyl and this is part of your problem with the glue..