GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Fish Tale On Every Turn While It Rains?? Why Me?why My Gs300 :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-01, 09:21 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that weird....... because when ever it rains here in dallas.. and im driving in the parking lot slowly... and take a turn then step on the gas a little... my whole cars back like does a fish tale and the vehicle skidding sign shows up on the dash... YEAH THE CARS COMPUTER LIKE SORTA CONTROLS IT BUT DANGIT WHY DOES IT HAPPEN IN THE FIRST PLACE.. IT NEVER USE TO DO IT IN MY COROLLA . GETTING A GS A BAD CHOICE? any 1 eles have thIS problem? what am i doing rong.. my vsc is turned on. and when ever im @ a stop light and its like sorta raining.. and the roads are wet... and the signal opens and i step on the gas a little the car pells out and liek the back starts moving to the left... the cars perfect whice driving on regular weather.. wow if its liek this in rain i wonder what snow would do. any sugg.?
Old 08-02-01, 09:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

How worn are your tires, and how hard do you tromp on it? This doesn't happen to me with my GS400.
Old 08-02-01, 10:17 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FR cars, you gotta watch out for rainy days.

I used to fishtail every corner I take in the rain over 10mph, but that's with my 2% tread stock tires.
Old 08-02-01, 10:26 PM
TenPointed

Lightbulb

I'd bet the slipperiness is due to the tires. Are they the Goodyears? I used to have Goodyear GT+4's on my GS4 and it slid all over the place. Winter driving was downright scary. Since I switched to Dunlop SP5000's last fall, I've had no problems. Some tire compounds just don't due well in any kind of rain or snow. The Dunlops do great in any kind of weather. You might want to try them when it's time for a switch. Great wear factor, Z-rated, & very inexpensive. Installed for $125/tire. Good luck
Old 08-03-01, 06:16 AM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

WARRNIG Factory OEM tires on the 16" Wheels are RUBBISH in the rain BECARFUL an the traction control isnt that good at all. They are the Good Year I belive I have them on the GS400 and ohh my god I almost recked my car into a Mail post 3 weeks after I got it going into a hard right at low speed the car went stright almost knocking down the mail post on the other side luck for me the car stopped right befor the mail post and that there where no other cars comming from the other end... I am REALLY mad on the OEM factory tires going to change them as soon as possible.
Old 08-03-01, 06:19 AM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

guys I wanna complain about this so how do I go by doing it,,, those good year tires are not good at all ??? do I call the dealer and call a complaint or the head company or what ???? I really do not think they should be installed in the first place.
Old 08-03-01, 06:23 AM
GS430_4Me
Rookie

I recommend staying out of Michigan from November thru March no matter what tires you have.
Old 08-03-01, 07:22 AM
ivc
Driver School Candidate

me too.... I used to slip all the time when I was still using the original 17" performance tire... I forgot what's the model, but it should be Bridgestone... anyway it was extremely bad.... I had a few incident that almost killed me..... a few months ago, when I was driving back home from Niagara Falls.... the road was dry... so I was racing with 3 other cars that I met on the road... averaging about 120mph.... then suddenly it starts to snow.... bad... really bad.... I slowed down to a crawl.... but the car was still losing control.... I drove to an average of 10mph.... it was on the highway... then suddenly... the car fishtail to the left.... there was a car... I swerved to the right... there was a fence.... then I swerved back to the left... finally I lost control... the car turned a few times and went into the ditch on the center between the higways... fortunately the ditch was pretty flat....
that's the reason why I choose the Yokohama AVS dB... it should be much better... but I haven't really tried the tires yet....
Be careful driving out there... especially in snowing season....
Old 08-03-01, 02:26 PM
geodesic
Driver School Candidate

The reason you notice poor rear wheel traction in parking lots and at stop lights is primarily because these areas are prone to collect heavy deposits of oil from leaking cars. As soon as these oil slicks get a coating of rain water they can be very bad.

Regarding snow, either get a good set of all season tires or pure snow tires. I run snow tires during the winter and even with VSC on it can get hairy if I'm not paying attention to driving.
Old 08-03-01, 05:18 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Thank god im not the only one with this problem. im currently on brand new continental touring contac AS tires but in less then a month im going to get new rims and some good all weather tires thanks guys.
Old 08-03-01, 05:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally posted by MEMYSELFNMYG300
im currently on brand new continental touring contac AS tires but in less then a month im going to get new rims and some good all weather tires thanks guys.
If those are the ones I looked up on Tirerack, they're $79 a piece. You get what you pay for.
Old 08-15-01, 12:08 AM
illogic

I notice that most of the complaints come from people in Dallas. I'm not familiar with the weather there, but remember that when it rains for the first time after a long stretch of hot and dry weather, the rain will leech up oils from the street making it even slipperier.
Old 08-15-01, 12:29 PM
TMitchell
Driver

High performance summer tires are normally better in the rain than all season tires. All season tires are really not that good in any category, because they are trying to be a little bit good at every thing.
Old 08-15-01, 01:32 PM
gs300haltech
Driver

dallas doesnt see much rain in the summer and when it does, many people just forget how to drive in the rain. when accelarating out of stop lights and in parking lots take it easy there is temendous amount of oil coming up after the rain hits the ground. Even with my aftermarket wheels the car still has a tendancy to slip. Its the nature of rwd and rain.
Old 08-15-01, 02:52 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Originally posted by bitkahuna

If those are the ones I looked up on Tirerack, they're $79 a piece. You get what you pay for.
That's for sure. I just paid $200 more than that for each replacement Yoki AVS Sport for my fronts, but they are heck of a tire on the street and the track, dry and wet.

Quick Reply: Fish Tale On Every Turn While It Rains?? Why Me?why My Gs300 :(