GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

should i get my gs serviced at Toyota?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-05, 11:49 PM
saelee39
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i get my gs serviced at Toyota?

hello, im new here, and i just bought a 2000 blk/blk gs3 with 85k . i heard the 90k service is the big one. however, some lexus owners seem to go to toyota when it comes to servicing, i was wondeirng if anyone get their service done at toyota? thanks.
Old 12-17-05, 12:11 AM
LEXO
Driver

I always thought they were the same
Old 12-17-05, 01:30 AM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

I get my 98 GS400 serviced at a Toyota dealership. Reason #1 is because my buddy is a service manager, but reason #2 is the nearest Lexus dealership is over 150 miles away If there isn't a Lexus dealership nearby, chances are your local Toyota dealership has worked on many Lexus cars.
Old 12-17-05, 04:33 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I have to agree... My toyota dealer is right up the road but the lexus dealer is about 35-40 mins.. away..Still not to bad... But i think i would trust the toyota dealer...
Old 12-17-05, 05:46 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

all dealers and techs are different. I wouldn't let my local toyota dealer ever touch my GS. I'll bring them my ES for oil changes because it's just like a Camry. IMO the GS is really not like any toyota they usually work on (rwd, V8 sedan) and I have no faith in them anyway, so......
Old 12-17-05, 05:59 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

It all depends on the crew working. Here, Lexus and Toyota share the same facilities but there are only a few who work on nothing but Lexus vehicles. The Lexus side even has it's own entrance bay. I would think this specialized service/training would make a big difference.
Old 12-17-05, 06:50 AM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not too worried about going to the Toyota dealer. I know one of the service guys and he told me that there are a few techs there that have proper Lexus training as well & they handle any Lexuses (Lexi?) that come in.
Old 12-17-05, 07:38 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bring mine to a Lexus certified mechanic. I used to go to Toyota but they screwed me over on some brake work, or at least tried to! Now I hate even taking my car there for an oil change - their idiot techs like to rev my car

See if you can find certified Lexus mechanics in your area.

Jonny
Old 12-17-05, 08:00 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I take mine to the toyota dealer for coolant flushes since they carry toyota red coolant. When you buy parts for your lexus, the packaging has toyota genuine parts stamped all over it. The sequoia, tundra have the same v8 as our cars, but it is detuned.
Old 12-17-05, 08:10 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I take mine to the toyota dealer for coolant flushes since they carry toyota red coolant. When you buy parts for your lexus, the packaging has toyota genuine parts stamped all over it. The sequoia, tundra have the same v8 as our cars, but it is detuned.

that reminds me, at the toyota dealer in Venice, they use CASTROL trans fluid unless you know to tell them to use Toyota .
Old 12-17-05, 09:21 AM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Any one who drives their Lexus mobile to a Toyoto dealership for service must say 100 times

"I drive a TOYOTA"

Some Toyota dealerships are now giving a difficult time to the Lexus vehicle owners citing that they can perform the work but can not get the part [if different] form Lexus. Some ownners are speculating that it is inter-corporate pressure that is causing Toyoto to politley, but grudgingly, turn away bussiness.

Salim
Old 12-17-05, 09:56 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default just take it to the toyota dealership...

the gs3 is the same engine/tranny as the toyota supra.

they'll know how to service it. not only that but they will try harder to garner your business since they want to attract higher line vehicles.

go for it.
Old 12-17-05, 10:17 AM
saelee39
Pole Position

thanks everyone for your inputs, however, my nearest Lexus dealership is 45mins away, and i was wondering is it worth the trip? ive never been to the lexus dealership b4 since i just bought my car, but i heard they loan you a car..? how does this go, do u have t o be a certain age to get one? im only 20yrs old, am i too young to get a rental car from them/?
Old 12-17-05, 10:34 AM
dmz
Rookie

Some dealership are not allowed to service a different brand of car than their own. If they do, I would only let them service a Lexus model that has a equivalent Toyota model in the states (ie. ES, LX, GX, RX)
Old 12-17-05, 10:39 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Another option to consider is a private shop that specializes in Lexus. I suspect that a Toyota dealership won't save you much money over a Lexus dealership, but you've got to go with what's readily available!

While my car is still under factory CPO warranty for the next three years, I very much like the idea of Lexus trained mechanics eyeballing my car and am willing to pay for it (major / minor services and oil changes). If anyone should catch something at an early stage, it had better be them! If the Lexus folks don't catch something that turns out to be a big deal, the relationship that I have established with the dealer will hopefully count for something. Yes, it's a chance that I'm willing to take. FWIW, my Acura dealership bends over backwards on my other car's servicing requirements because of the relationship that I have cultivated with them over the years.

I'm undecided on what to do when my car is out of warranty in a few years. I suppose that I will weigh a private shop that specializes in Lexus against staying with the dealership. It'll be quite an "old" car by then and I hate to say that I'll pay dealership money. It depends upon how much I'll save with the other outfit. Then again, hopefully I'm driving a new 5G GS!

Quick Reply: should i get my gs serviced at Toyota?