GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Has anyone used Wheels America?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-05, 10:27 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Has anyone used Wheels America?

Has anyone used this company to fix curbed rims? They have 8 locations nationwide (one in Chicago), and I'm thinking of having one or two of my 17s refinished. They charge $129 per wheel, which seems about right. Here is a link to their web site:

www.fixrim.com

Thanks.

e
Old 12-18-05, 11:46 AM
psd112
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used them twice actually. On my old car I had a set of Volk GT-P's with a polished lip. My girlfriend twice attacked a curb with both passenger side wheels, leaving, ohh i would say curb rash on a good 75-80% of the circumfrence on EACH wheel. Wheels America took out all the rash, and they came out damn near perfect. I have heard horror stories though, but in my own personal experience they have served me well.

Yeah, the $125+ each wheel is kind of high, but you have to realize that its the same pricing for a 2 inch rash or ( in my case) a totally screwed up wheel. I guess I got my money's worth. LOL.
Old 12-18-05, 12:17 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by psd112
I used them twice actually. On my old car I had a set of Volk GT-P's with a polished lip. My girlfriend twice attacked a curb with both passenger side wheels, leaving, ohh i would say curb rash on a good 75-80% of the circumfrence on EACH wheel. Wheels America took out all the rash, and they came out damn near perfect. I have heard horror stories though, but in my own personal experience they have served me well.

Yeah, the $125+ each wheel is kind of high, but you have to realize that its the same pricing for a 2 inch rash or ( in my case) a totally screwed up wheel. I guess I got my money's worth. LOL.
Hey, thanks for your reply. Two questions. First, I assume they take the tire off the wheel to do the refinishing, right? Second, what horror stories have you heard? Have the horror stories been about Wheels America?
Old 12-18-05, 03:20 PM
psd112
Driver School Candidate

You can either take it to a shop and dismount it before you drop it off there, or you can just bring in the wheel and tire and they will dismount it. I think they charge a fee though, so if you drop it off with the tire still on they will charge you like $10 to dismount and another $10 or so to remount and balance. My buddy worked at a tire shop so he did it for free.

Usual turnaround time is about 1 day.

As far as horror stories about them, I have seen some posts about the finish not matching after they are processed ( repaired wheel was repaired, but does not match the other 3 originals). Obviously, if you are fixing a rim you really do care about asthetics, so depending on how bad it mismatched you might not be too happy. Again, with my experience though they came out flawless and you would be hard pressed to visually tell which ones were refinished. But then again I had just a plain polished lip, nothing fancy like powdercoated or chrome, so that may have played a factor.

HTH

paul
Old 12-18-05, 04:24 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

i've been told to always try and fix 2 wheels at a time so that those two wheels can be on the same side...
Old 12-18-05, 04:32 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by joshoowa
i've been told to always try and fix 2 wheels at a time so that those two wheels can be on the same side...
Actually, this is a very good idea. At the same point, I wanted to give them just one wheel to start so I could see whether they do a good job.

I seriously CANNOT believe that they charge to dismount and remount the tire. What a bunch of bull. For $129, that should be included in the service, don't you think?