GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What does the future hold for our beloved GS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-01, 09:21 PM
Kooly
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now this is purely my opinion (who elses would it be?), and I know that it's totally a matter of personal taste. But I am really turned off by what Toyota's designers are doing to their cars with concerns to their outter appearance. Basically, I feel like they're making some really ugly cars now a days. I knwo this is purely subjective and in the eye of the beholder.....but come on, the Prius should be shot. My problem unfortunately doesn't end there, because the new Avalon is also following this new "ugly trend", is it me, or does it just look a little too high? And sadly, this trend has drifted over to Lexus as well, because I feel like the Avalon and the LS share that same tall look. I know I may be stepping on some toes when referring to the LS, but hey, I'm just calling it like I see it. It maybe a super luxury and all that, but to me it kinda looks like a Ford Crown Vic on roids. And now I just saw some pics of the new and "improved" ES300. Again, personal opinion, but from the pics I saw, the outside needs to go back to the drawing board!!! I go to hand it to TOyota, that the insides of their cars are beautiful. But hey, we are all guilty of being a little superficial, especially when you shell out this kind of cash for a car. And I love these cars, but this new design team, whoever they are, are really making me reconsider. What does this have to do with anything??? Well, the only reason I bring it up is because as we all know (and are anxioulsy awaiting) the GS should be redesigned within the coming couple of years.....and to tell you the truth, I'm afraid man! Everyone I know says that the GS is easily one of the best looking cars the roads has ever seen, which I know everyone here will agree with. But what does the future hold for our rearwheel beauty? Only the crackheads at Toyota R&D know for sure. Am I going crazy? Am I the only one who sees these new cars in this light? Maybe I am......but come on, someone else has gotta agree with me. Well, sorry for going on like this, but its been bugging me for a while. If ya wanna bash me for these thoughts, go ahead. But understand, I am only saying this out of love for our cars, and out of the fear of them being butchered in the next-gen by those wacky guys with poor senses of humor (the Prius, come on :eek: ) at Toyota/Lexus. Please let me know if there's anyone else who agrees with me on this.
Old 08-03-01, 09:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,633 Posts

The Prius is a hybrid electric/combustion engine car... there's a reason for its looks.

As far as the 'taller' look, I know what you mean, but I think two of the reasons for this are:

1) Japanese cars have been consistently criticized for not having enough head room (go figure - when I was in Japan I was a 'giant' there).

2) The SUV has influenced regular cars too, with people LIKING the ability to get in and out easier.

So I think somewhat higher platforms are here for a while.

It will definitely be interesting to see what they do with the GS. It's clearly targeted against the Mercedes E class and the BMW 5 series, so it can't end up too conservative. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 4 separate front lights go, but the basic proportions (sort of a big IS300) probably won't change much.

The new ES is 'OK', but the rear wheels look too inset into the body, which is cheesy. That's a problem the GS300/430 with 16's has real bad too.

Old 08-04-01, 12:52 AM
JPritch
Rookie

I agree with your opinion on the design trends of new Toyota vehicles.(Love the Sequoia though). But to ME, this problem is industry wide. Pretty much most manufacturers are...or plan to...churn out some fugly vehicles pretty soon. It seems like they're all taking too big a step too fast. Many of 'em have too futuristic a look for me. Anyone see some of the upcoming Caddy's. Damn ugly pieces of work. They even botched the already out Deville is it or is it the Eldorado - you know, that big clunky thing with the funny looking head and tail lights. The previous version was so fluid.

But you know, Lexus vehicles have always been twice as beautiful as the rest of the competition, so I don't think you have to worry that much. Even the new ES is nice...think about it...compare the new one to the current one - now which one is nicer??? The new one is head and shoulders above the old one.

Just my thoughts.

-JPritch
Old 08-04-01, 01:29 AM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

I actually like the current ES300 compared to the new one. The old one just looks much more sleeker. The new interior is definitely better though.

I can't believe you guys are liking the new ES...?
Old 08-04-01, 01:55 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

new ES has a VERY VERY NICE INTERIOR! No doubt. As for the exterior, people hold different opinions.

I think the new ES looks nice, but some parts look cheesy. The rear wheels are just like mine, TOO INSET! The side of the car is too fat. The headlights are okay but looks weird from certain angles. However the basic shape of the car is nice, giving it a bit more "beef", so it doesn't look thin.
Old 08-04-01, 05:32 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Speaking of the new ES300, I think the new Camary actually looks better on the outside...again, Lexus has it's head up it's **** by making the two models look nearly identical...it's not going to help the "camary" image that the ES already has.

And the BULL***** that Lexus spews out about how it's customers don't really want or need more horsepower (which was their excuse for not bumping up the performance)...that such BS! They didn't want to bump it up because that would mean that they would have to bump up the IS300 AND the GS300...which means that they'd have to bump up the GS430/SC430/LS430...

The LS/SC/GS should have 375HP, the GS300 should have 280HP, IS300 should have 260HP (maybe 280HP), and the ES300 should have at least 240HP...

I think Lexus is getting lazy off all their success...hopefully, this won't lead to a Mercedes-Benz like downward spiral (of course, Mercedes bounced back)
Old 08-04-01, 09:23 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

I !@#$%^ HOPE THEY KEEP THE QUAD HEADLIGHTS ON THE NEXT GS OR I WILL BE PISSED!!!
!!

I will be VERY VERY DISSAPOINTED if the don't keep the quads

Like I said before, I still have confidence on Lexus that they will make the right decisions because in a way they will be "forced" to make their cars faster because of the newly competition from MB and BMW. As for the price bump, I wouldn't really mind if its bumped a few thousand dollars higher, it would STILL be well worth the money in terms of value + reliablility + looks (hopefully).

Old 08-04-01, 09:48 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Hhahah, why would you need a girlfriend when you have a GS right?! J/k .

I really hope Lexus doesn't make a stupid new design that looks as bad as the new BMW 5-series