GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Any pics of the Factory Mudguards?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-01 | 04:57 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I'm thinking about adding a set of Lexus Factory Mudguards to my silver GS4. This past week, something sticky and disgusting kicked up from my tire and splattered all over the side of the car.

You also see on the lighter color cars, all the dirt that the 4 tires kick up on the side panels.

Anyone have any pics with your GS with Mudguards? I believe it should be a breeze to install. I haven't seen any of these pics in the gallery as of yet.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-04-01 | 05:15 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Just confirmed

Hey guys, I just called my local Lexus Dealership and Lexus does not make Mudguards for the GS, I guess not many people need them and they take away from the lines of the car.

However, does anyone out there, installed any aftermarket, mudguards? Post pics if you could. Maybe no one has yet!

Thanks!
Old 08-04-01 | 09:28 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Lexguy,

I believe awhile ago there was some discussion on mudguards but I believe the majority of the people on here think it wouldn't look right on a GS. The gs was made not to have mudguards and by putting one on, it would stick out like a sore thumb IMO.

Btw: I used to get your problem with dirt on the side panels. I use to think it was the dirt from the road but I found out it was the oil from my tire "gloss" gel. I stop using that crap and switch to ZAINO tire gloss(oil free). It gives a nice black satin finish with NO dirt on the side panel !
Old 08-04-01 | 10:08 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

All of you are right!

I have been looking for mudguards too, cause my car got dirty in that arear due to the lack of the mudguards.

I found out a long time ago that Lexus does not make factory mudguards for the GS.

I also don't know of anyone that makes aftermarket mudguards for the GS.

Yes, it may look bad and stick out like a sore thumb, that's why I was gonna look for color-coded ones, but I think those would look bad too.

And finally, I found out that the main reason they got dirty was from the tire spray I was using, I used to think it was oil from the road....I stopped using tire spray now...maybe I should try Zaino though.
Old 08-05-01 | 06:05 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by nanotech
All of you are right!

I have been looking for mudguards too, cause my car got dirty in that arear due to the lack of the mudguards.

I found out a long time ago that Lexus does not make factory mudguards for the GS.

I also don't know of anyone that makes aftermarket mudguards for the GS.

Yes, it may look bad and stick out like a sore thumb, that's why I was gonna look for color-coded ones, but I think those would look bad too.

And finally, I found out that the main reason they got dirty was from the tire spray I was using, I used to think it was oil from the road....I stopped using tire spray now...maybe I should try Zaino though.
Maybe everyone is right, mudguards would just take away from the lines of the car, so Lexus opts not to make them available. Which is kind of unusual, since all cars usually have factory mudguards. I was kicking myself for not negotiating them into the deal, but then yesterday found out there were not available anyways, so I'm good again. I have to try this ZAINO stuff everyone is talking about!

Thanks again!
Old 08-05-01 | 06:40 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

aftermarket does not look right on any car, just ok on truck

only factory molded mud guard will
an aftermarket sides , like RMM or Veilside might do the job of prevent dirt :eek:
Old 08-05-01 | 06:41 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by BananaGS
aftermarket does not look right on any car, just ok on truck

only factory molded mud guard will
an aftermarket sides , like RMM or Veilside might do the job of prevent dirt :eek:
JUST DO NOT GET THOSE AFTERMARKET MUDFLAPS/GUARDS that have the Cartoon Characters like TAZ or Yosemeite SAM that say BACK OFF!

Those are so so wrong! HA!
Old 08-05-01 | 11:10 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Those looney toons ones are ok for a beetle (imagine yellow bettle with tweety mudflaps...) or a civic....wrong only on our cars...lexus, bmw, etc!
Old 08-05-01 | 08:36 PM
diamondgs4
Driver

Lightbulb The mudguard sloution !

OK !
Everyone know that Lexus do not make Mudguards for GS.
So, I made a pair of the soft clear Vynl films and have them attached to the back of fender wells.
It is a clean solution and you can hardly see them.

I might as well have another solution for front lincense plate installed into the front bumper without drilling.