GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Fixed the buzzing sound!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-05, 04:02 PM
amul
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed the buzzing sound!!!

FYI:

I had a buzzing sound coming from the center counsel. Once the car warmed up the sound deminished, but not completely. I check the dash for any sort of loose pieces, also the fan motor was fine. The glove box area looked ok....etc.

I had a buddy help me pin down the culprit. The car was ice cold 19F( when it is the loudest).

He started wiggling stuff attached to the firewall., and the noise went away as soon as he started to giggle the heater core input and output houses/lines.

All I needed to do was apply some grease around the seals to stop the buzz.

Just and FYI. Rattles seem to be an ongoing issue with these cars.
Once I fixed that...........man is the car quiet.
Just did the timining , serpentine, and waterpump, oil, and trans fluid change at 90K................car runs like brand new.
Old 12-21-05, 04:05 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so it was the grommets for the heatercore going through the firewall making the noise? good job finding that!
Old 12-21-05, 06:00 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

omg u r my hero as as i get back from vacation i'm gonna get to those.. do u have any pics or could u take pics of where this is at??? thanks a bunch
Old 12-21-05, 06:42 PM
amul
Rookie

IF you put your ear up to the dashboard, and DO NOT hear the buzz, it's most probably the same issue I had. IF you do hear a buzz then it could be something else.

The two grommets are (looking from the front of the car) behind the engine on the left against the firewall. It's impossible to miss. There are two rubber hoses going to grommet fittings on the wall.
These fitting are for the heater core on the other side of the firewall(cabin side). Try having someone hold on to those hoses while the car is idling and first see if it does anything to the noise.

I just saved $$ and irritation . I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't come back.
I intially thought it was a heat shield, and that was going to be my second thing to look at. I guess I hit it right the first time.

If it sounds like it's come from dead center. I'm sure it's the same issue.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 12-21-05, 06:44 PM
amul
Rookie

Originally Posted by Adam2562
omg u r my hero as as i get back from vacation i'm gonna get to those.. do u have any pics or could u take pics of where this is at??? thanks a bunch

I'll be back in town on the 26th. If you still need pics I can send it to you then. But it's hard to miss. Just look at the firewall, and there are only a couple things going through it. Two of the grommets/ hoses are for the heater.
Old 12-21-05, 06:46 PM
amul
Rookie

Originally Posted by 3rdelement
so it was the grommets for the heatercore going through the firewall making the noise? good job finding that!

Yep. Bottom line. IF it doesn't rattle or make a sound going over bumps, it's probably not the dash or trims. If it buzzes and changes sound depending on the engine RPM, or is temperature dependendant, start looking under the hood.
Old 12-21-05, 07:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow this is nice to know. i don't think i have that but i have read this couple of times. maybe others can try and see if it helps!
Old 12-22-05, 05:05 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i hear that is a common problem with the rx330 and other Lexus and Toyotas in cold weather. i had to take my Rav 4 in to the dealer last year because the dashboard makes a sqeeking noise when i go over bumps. There was a bulliten about that problem, and the corrected it for me by installing an insulation kit in the dash. Apparently the cause of the noise is the air ducts in the center of the dash. Could be the same problem with your car. Check to see if there was a bulletin out for that so you don't have to pay for it at the dealer.
Old 12-22-05, 01:29 PM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
i hear that is a common problem with the rx330 and other Lexus and Toyotas in cold weather. i had to take my Rav 4 in to the dealer last year because the dashboard makes a sqeeking noise when i go over bumps. There was a bulliten about that problem, and the corrected it for me by installing an insulation kit in the dash. Apparently the cause of the noise is the air ducts in the center of the dash. Could be the same problem with your car. Check to see if there was a bulletin out for that so you don't have to pay for it at the dealer.
This dash recall doesnt apply to the GS 2nd gen. I had my rx330 in for refelting all of the metal clips just last week. This noise is dead center in the middle of the air vents.
Old 12-22-05, 08:22 PM
amul
Rookie

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER

Mine was totally different. I fixed it by lubing the heater core grommets. It wasn't coming from the air vents and it went away as soon as I hit the gas.
Old 12-23-05, 05:43 AM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FunGuy
This noise is dead center in the middle of the air vents.
I've got the same thing.

I also have a creaking that I think is coming from the back window and my son thinks it's coming from the front window. It only happens as the cabin warms up. I wonder if it is the sunroof and I should lubricate the seals. What should I use to lubricate the rubber seal on the sunroof?

Michael
Old 12-23-05, 10:51 AM
amul
Rookie

Originally Posted by IAGS400
I've got the same thing.

I also have a creaking that I think is coming from the back window and my son thinks it's coming from the front window. It only happens as the cabin warms up. I wonder if it is the sunroof and I should lubricate the seals. What should I use to lubricate the rubber seal on the sunroof?

Michael
For my s2000, I use Snitzu(sp?) grease. I think you can by this at a honda dealer. This is the best stuff they said would keep the convertible top rubber seals from cracking , squeaking and to keep them in new condition.
Old 12-23-05, 01:44 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

i think mne is coming from the cupholders in the front.. when i press down hard it seems to go away
Old 12-23-05, 02:09 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I just realized this morning that I may have the same thing. It only buzzes softly when the car is cold and when I put it in reverse with the brake on. Strange.
Old 02-13-06, 11:57 PM
GS408
Pole Position

Default really weird noises...

funny i ran into this thread... after i had my stereo removed and been driving around town with no music I started hearing all kinds of weird noises in my gs. I don't know if this is the sound you guys are talking about, but my noises seem to come from behind the stereo area as well. My noise sounds like water in running motion. Kind of hard to explain but it sounds like a fish tank full of water being moved around.. haha .. I don't know how else to describe it.

i will check the firewall grommets thing this weekend. just thought i would share...

Quick Reply: Fixed the buzzing sound!!!