GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Error 161

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-05, 11:41 PM
enterconne
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Error 161

I have a situation with my car and I hope someone can shed some light for me. I was driving home the other day from the gym and decided to get some gas. After I filled up the tank my "check engine" light came on. I figured that the gas cap was not ON all the way so I took it off and put it back on until I heard 2 clicks. After about 2 or 3 trips the light finally turned off. I thought everything was cool until the next day. I was driving to the mall to take care of some late x-mas shopping and the light came back ON again. I check all the fluids and the gas cap again but the light would not turn off. I finally took it to Auto Zone and had them read the code. The guy at Auto Zone told me that the code was 161 and it was one of the O2 sensors. He told me that my car has 4 and it's one of the ones on the back. Finally to my question.........Is the O2 sensor easy to replace and where is it at?? Also, How do I know which one to replace?? I'm pretty new to this site and new to having a GS300 so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.....
Old 12-26-05, 12:05 AM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by enterconne
I have a situation with my car and I hope someone can shed some light for me. I was driving home the other day from the gym and decided to get some gas. After I filled up the tank my "check engine" light came on. I figured that the gas cap was not ON all the way so I took it off and put it back on until I heard 2 clicks. After about 2 or 3 trips the light finally turned off. I thought everything was cool until the next day. I was driving to the mall to take care of some late x-mas shopping and the light came back ON again. I check all the fluids and the gas cap again but the light would not turn off. I finally took it to Auto Zone and had them read the code. The guy at Auto Zone told me that the code was 161 and it was one of the O2 sensors. He told me that my car has 4 and it's one of the ones on the back. Finally to my question.........Is the O2 sensor easy to replace and where is it at?? Also, How do I know which one to replace?? I'm pretty new to this site and new to having a GS300 so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.....

good luck...same thing happened to me
HERE

mike
Old 12-26-05, 12:36 AM
enterconne
Driver

CRAZY!!! My car is also a 2001 and all of my previous cars have been Hondas and Acuras. Thanks for the info. I might take the Lex to the dealership but I heard that the part is easy to replace. I like to work on my cars but I haven't had a chance to go out and pick up a repair manual so I figured I'd ask here on the forum first to maybe get some help. So how's your car running now??
Old 12-26-05, 06:33 PM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

CRAZY!!! My car is also a 2001 and all of my previous cars have been Hondas and Acuras. Thanks for the info. I might take the Lex to the dealership but I heard that the part is easy to replace. I like to work on my cars but I haven't had a chance to go out and pick up a repair manual so I figured I'd ask here on the forum first to maybe get some help. So how's your car running now??

i have an appointment on Thursday for the service.

mike
Old 12-26-05, 08:37 PM
enterconne
Driver

Sweet!! I'm not going to be able to check mine out till this weekend. Keep me posted on what sensor they had to replace. I think I will try to replace it myself and save some $$. I know it's bank 2, sensor 2, but I'm not too sure what the part # is.
Old 12-28-05, 04:42 AM
enterconne
Driver

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...e=post&id=3122

check this out!!
Old 12-28-05, 10:00 AM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Wow...thanks..thats IT?..and 2 Hours???

I think I'll call them and just BUY the parts myself and do it MYSELF.... I have a shop (Car Audio) and a pair of jacks...with tools, i should be able to do this MYSELF and save the $$$ for my Vegas trip next week...

Thanks again

Mike
Old 12-28-05, 11:58 AM
enterconne
Driver

no problem....i've been looking HI and LOW to find out where this sensor is and finally I was able to get a nice detailed pic. Good luck, I"ll be replacing mine once the part arrives.
Old 12-28-05, 01:43 PM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

no problem....i've been looking HI and LOW to find out where this sensor is and finally I was able to get a nice detailed pic. Good luck, I"ll be replacing mine once the part arrives.

Where did you buy the parts??

I called the Local AutoZone and they want $198.00 for OEM and $79.00 for a generic one but she said that the generic one needs some wire splicing where as the OEM one is Plug-n-play.

MIke
Old 12-28-05, 08:02 PM
enterconne
Driver

lexus has them for $200 but you can get either denzo's or bosch at autozone for about $130. i still have to pick them up and make sure they are the right ones. i've had alot of trouble trying to find the right ones.
Old 12-29-05, 09:18 AM
enterconne
Driver

Bosch part # 13558. This is the part for CEL P0161.
Old 12-29-05, 09:59 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you have the pn for the sensor, call toyota and see if they carry that part #. I just bought an oem 02 sensor for my ES. I paid half of what the Lex dealer wanted. you could also order it from Sewell or Carson.
Old 12-29-05, 11:53 AM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chuckb
if you have the pn for the sensor, call toyota and see if they carry that part #. I just bought an oem 02 sensor for my ES. I paid half of what the Lex dealer wanted. you could also order it from Sewell or Carson.
I PMed Carson Lex and no response... I guess they are out for the holidays.

Mike
Old 12-29-05, 12:03 PM
enterconne
Driver

I tried to contact Sewell but they never responded. I just took off the sensor and it took about 5 minutes, piece of cake. I can't believe the dealership would charge $200 for labor.
Old 12-30-05, 08:14 PM
enterconne
Driver

The sensor has been replaced and I disconnected the neg. battery terminal to clear the code. the CEL light has not come back ON. Finally the problem has been solved.

Quick Reply: Error 161