GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Delayed acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-05, 02:32 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tara
I have just bought a 2001 GS300 for my wife (and because I love the car)

But I find the accelerator response poor. When cruising, flooring the accelerator causes a wait while the car decides to change down then another delay before any acceleration is felt. This two stage effect is awful!

Once things happen the response is polite rather than strong, it does not seem to have much low down torque.

Previously we has an ES300, 94 model, V6 auto. This car did not have the problem. It's accelerator response was good. I can't believe such poor response is normal for a 2001 car.

I have seen threads about resetting the ECU. Could this help? Does the ECU "learn" about driving styles?

We don't have much local (Australian) knowledge on the topic.
Tara, for a different angle on your problem, search (and read all you can) for "accelerator pedal position sensor" or "APP sensor" (NOT "throttle position sensor" or "TPS"--a similarly named but completely different component).

APP sensors can go bad without any error codes, and when defective, the symptoms are similar to what you describe. All or most of the threads will be for GS430s, but I confirmed in my shop manual that GS300s like yours also have APPs. (Guess GS430 owners are more senstive to acceleration issues . )

Briefly, the APP sensor is part of the "throttle-by-wire" system, and when it goes bad, the car will feel very sluggish, and acceleration will be erratic and infuriating. And since they can go bad without any error codes, I have a feeling that a lot of the problems that my well-meaning CL colleages blame on the "learning" ECU are really the result of bad APPs. Good luck and report back. JB

Last edited by JellyBean; 12-29-05 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-29-05, 02:52 PM
Tara
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PHML
If not already doing so...stick with Premium Unleaded Gasoline.

Also, I'd highly recommend adding a fuel injection cleaner additiive.

Lastly...and this is a must.....clean the throtte body. MInes was very grimey after 5 years (I also have a 2001 model)....and I see why the flap was "sticking". I just did mines yesterday....and now my lag at a dead stop and hesitation during accelerating through a turn is gone.

Good luck.

Pete
PHML
This is a new one for me. Is it an issue for the Lexus design or poor air filtration?

I have had several injected cars without this problem. Does cleaning mean the removal of the throttle body?

I'll take your advice, just need to know how far to go.
Old 12-29-05, 02:55 PM
Tara
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Do a proffessional fuel injection/emissions cleaning at your local Jiffy lube as well.. It really makes a difference.
Dashocker

I live is Australia, never heard of Jiffy lube!

We have mobile vans that come to ones home to clean injectors, had that done before chasing problems to no avail. But a good additive should be worth the cost. Whats the best used in the USA?

Regards
Old 12-29-05, 02:58 PM
Tara
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JellyBean
Tara, for a different angle on your problem, search (and read all you can) for "accelerator pedal position sensor" or "APP sensor" (NOT "throttle position sensor" or "TPS"--a similarly named but completely different component).

APP sensors can go bad without any error codes, and when defective, the symptoms are similar to what you describe. All or most of the threads will be for GS430s, but I confirmed in my shop manual that GS300s like yours also have APPs. (Guess GS430 owners are more senstive to acceleration issues . )

Briefly, the APP sensor is part of the "throttle-by-wire" system, and when it goes bad, the car will feel very sluggish, and acceleration will be erratic and infuriating. And since they can go bad without any error codes, I have a feeling that a lot of the problems that my well-meaning CL colleages blame on the "learning" ECU are really the result of bad APPs. Good luck and report back. JB
Jellybean

Good thought. I had such a problem years ago on a special. It was the TPS but over a wide rev range. I will go looking for APP. I like the thinking!
Old 12-29-05, 11:02 PM
ocangelfan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tara
Thanks Ocanglefan

Yes I do have the Pwr/Norm/Snow switch. But my understanding of this is that it extends the shift points up the rev range. Is that correct? Does it make shifts faster? And this is a two stage problem, the first delay to decide to shift down greards, the second to actually open the throttle.

BTW do you say accelerator or throttle in the USA?
I believe you are correct on the working of the Pwr/Norm/Snow switch. My experience was when I was in Power mode, and stomped on the "gas pedal" (there's your other answer , I was often already in a lower gear than I would have been otherwise.

The problem would often happen when braking into a curve or making a right turn. After the turn, stomp the accelerator (we go both ways and when not in power mode, the hesitation was there. In power mode, very little if any.

Maybe I was just simply in a lower gear to begin with when this happened -- I never really gave it much thought.

- Scott
Old 12-30-05, 12:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Best solution IMHO - leave it in 4th instead of 5th for better throttle response! Only put it in 5th / D if you're on a long drive with little traffic where you don't need fast throttle response.