GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Good news pi torque converter is awesome!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-05, 06:27 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by nate579
No brainer to you, but some of us don't have $5,000 to replace burned out transmissions. And the need to gain .5 sec on a 1/4 run is not on the top of my list.
You obviously misinterpreted my comment to be some sort of personal attack. It was never intended to be that way.

I was simply emphasizing my enthusiasm for this mod. It is indeed a no-brainer, and just an FYI - it will not burn your transmission. I don't have $5K to spend on a transmission either.

Lots of members on here have had this mod for a couple of years now and nobody has burned their transmission yet.

Keep in mind that the goal of this mod is not just to gain .5 second on the 0-60 run. Perhaps you are interpreting it that way, but that is not the only thing that is important about this mod.

The biggest difference is the dramatic change to the responsiveness of the throttle from a standstill. It completely gets rid of the lag from 0-30 and literally "wakes up" the beast in the 4 liter GS engine. Plain and simple.
Old 12-30-05, 07:41 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the mod LEXY Your car is coming along great. How are the iForged doing?
Old 12-30-05, 11:30 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Okay, so I just want to make sure I understand this. Everyone is always talking about it, and regardless of whether I ever do it, I just want to make sure I understand. So, let's start with the 3.76 LSD differential. It is different in two ways. First, it has a different ratio than the stock differential so that the car can wind up faster. Your shifts will occur sooner, or should I say that the engine will get to those shift points a lot quicker. Also, you will have a higher RPM in overdrive on the highway (and, in general, a higher RPM at any given speed compared to stock), and, as a result, you will most likely get worse gas mileage.

With respect to the torque converter, it raises the stall speed to say 2000 rpm (versus stock which is something lower). In other words, with a torque converter, the car launches much closer to the peak of the power band than stock. It would be the equivalent of brake torquing the car to 2000 rpm at every stop light.

Am I understanding all of this correctly?

By the way, Hameed, I think most people (including me) realize that you weren't trying to personally attack anyone. That's just plain silly.
Old 12-30-05, 11:40 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by e-man
Okay, so I just want to make sure I understand this. Everyone is always talking about it, and regardless of whether I ever do it, I just want to make sure I understand. So, let's start with the 3.76 LSD differential. It is different in two ways. First, it has a different ratio than the stock differential so that the car can wind up faster. Your shifts will occur sooner, or should I say that the engine will get to those shift points a lot quicker. Also, you will have a higher RPM in overdrive on the highway (and, in general, a higher RPM at any given speed compared to stock), and, as a result, you will most likely get worse gas mileage.
Yes. Also, the response of the car at highway speeds is much better because the rpm is higher, it shifts down to third gear much much faster when you want to pass and press the throttle to gain speed.

One other thing to keep in mind if you get the rear diff with the LSD is that your cornering also becomes better as the car will appear to steer itself around corners. You get a push from the outer rear wheel around corners as the LSD gives more power to the outer wheel. It sort of feels like a 4-wheel steering car.
With respect to the torque converter, it raises the stall speed to say 2000 rpm (versus stock which is something lower). In other words, with a torque converter, the car launches much closer to the peak of the power band than stock. It would be the equivalent of brake torquing the car to 2000 rpm at every stop light.
Yes.

If there is any member near you who has done these two mods, you owe it to yourself to drive their car (assuming they will let you). Once you drive a car so equipped I am willing to guarantee that you will do the mods immediately.
Old 12-30-05, 12:17 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Yes. Also, the response of the car at highway speeds is much better because the rpm is higher, it shifts down to third gear much much faster when you want to pass and press the throttle to gain speed.

One other thing to keep in mind if you get the rear diff with the LSD is that your cornering also becomes better as the car will appear to steer itself around corners. You get a push from the outer rear wheel around corners as the LSD gives more power to the outer wheel. It sort of feels like a 4-wheel steering car.
Yes.

If there is any member near you who has done these two mods, you owe it to yourself to drive their car (assuming they will let you). Once you drive a car so equipped I am willing to guarantee that you will do the mods immediately.
Honestly, I have no interest in doing the torque converter. The last thing I need is to have my car wind up to 2000k+ rpm at launch. It just doesn't make sense for my style of driving. Also, from what I understand, with the torque converter, you have to also install a tranny cooler, and I'm just not interested in going down that road. Now, with respect to the 3.76 LSD, well, that's a different story, primarily because I believe the car should have come equipped that way from the factory. It's rear-wheel drive, and I think the LSD would be of great benefit in the rain and light snow, regardless of the differential ratio. Also, I am a mod-a-phobic. A must requirement for any mod I do is that it must be easy to put the car back to stock should I choose to do so. With the 3.76 LSD, it seems like it would be easy to go back to stock. The truth is that I would probably never do it because I could think of other things I need to do to my car with that $1,000 (like the 90k service next year and new tires). I would love to feel the difference first hand, though.
Old 12-30-05, 12:47 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by e-man
Honestly, I have no interest in doing the torque converter. The last thing I need is to have my car wind up to 2000k+ rpm at launch. It just doesn't make sense for my style of driving. Also, from what I understand, with the torque converter, you have to also install a tranny cooler, and I'm just not interested in going down that road.
Well the thing to keep in mind is that u don't see the revs climb to 2800 rpm when you launch. It's just internal to the system.

Also, the tranny cooler is not a must, unless you do a lot of stop and go driving and generally rev the engine a lot. I have not installed one yet.
Now, with respect to the 3.76 LSD, well, that's a different story, primarily because I believe the car should have come equipped that way from the factory. It's rear-wheel drive, and I think the LSD would be of great benefit in the rain and light snow, regardless of the differential ratio. Also, I am a mod-a-phobic. A must requirement for any mod I do is that it must be easy to put the car back to stock should I choose to do so. With the 3.76 LSD, it seems like it would be easy to go back to stock. The truth is that I would probably never do it because I could think of other things I need to do to my car with that $1,000 (like the 90k service next year and new tires). I would love to feel the difference first hand, though.
Yes, we all have our priorities.
Old 12-30-05, 01:13 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry Hameed I didn't take it as an attack, just responding to the post. Again, I am seriously considering it and you gave me reasons why I should consider it. Like I said it's not on the top of my list but it is on the list. I know you guys know more about the car than I ever will that's why I read and post here at CL. Your input is valued and appreciated. Probaly worded the paragraph wrongly, ***DAPZ DOG***. Right now, I have spent close to 5 grand in MODS on my car. Which is a drop in a bucket compared to some of you guys. Justifying to the Mrs., well that's a whole nother issue. Love you all.
Old 12-30-05, 03:43 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nate579
Justifying to the Mrs., well that's a whole nother issue. Love you all.
How many pairs of shoes does she have in the closet?

J/K but I think you know what I mean.
Old 12-30-05, 03:47 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, with the high stall torque converter your rpms will not wind up to 2800 rpms on every launch, only when u floor it. Test drive a Camry - it has a pretty high stall converter, but it works so smooth its almost unnoticeable.

With the 3.76 differential you should have better acceleration b/c of higher gear ratio, but the shifts will occur more often so on overall it wont be much faster, just more responsive. Also, the top speed will decrease.

Last edited by Och; 12-30-05 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-30-05, 04:13 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

but then, who is going to drive their GS at top speed?/ We have a limiter!!
Old 12-30-05, 04:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blacksc400
but then, who is going to drive their GS at top speed?/ We have a limiter!!
Well, I'm just pointing out one of the consiquences of having higher gear ratio - if you were to disable the limited, the top speed would drop.
Old 12-30-05, 04:42 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
With the 3.76 differential you should have better acceleration b/c of shorter gears, but the shifts will occur more often so on overall it wont be much faster, just more responsive. Also, the top speed will decrease.
When I had the 3.76 installed, I could tell the car was quicker off the line and felt very responsive. Even at highway speeds, hit the gas and it pulls much stronger vs the stock diff. What this translates to in terms of track numbers...I have no idea. But a few months back, I had the opportunity for a quick run against a gs400 at a light. Light turned green and we both go for it...
I immediatly jumped out about 1/2 car length and continued to slowly pull away from him at a steady rate. By the time I got to 70, I was about 2 car lengths ahead. After that, had to shut down for traffic and there were no more opportunities to line up. In the 4 years I've had my 430, that was the only time I found myself lined up with another GS4. All I can say is "I'm glad I had the 3.76"
Old 12-30-05, 04:48 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well, I'm just pointing out one of the consiquences of having higher gear ratio - if you were to disable the limited, the top speed would drop.
Does the limiter work off of RPM's or MPH? For some reason, I think its RPM cause I have heard people say they "bounce off the limiter" when they wind out the gears while accelerating to the max.
Old 12-30-05, 04:57 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DetMich1
Does the limiter work off of RPM's or MPH? For some reason, I think its RPM cause I have heard people say they "bounce off the limiter" when they wind out the gears while accelerating to the max.
There are two limiters, top speed limiter, which works off mph, and rpm limiter, which will not allow you to rev past redline in any gear.
Old 12-30-05, 05:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rheiy
When I had the 3.76 installed, I could tell the car was quicker off the line and felt very responsive. Even at highway speeds, hit the gas and it pulls much stronger vs the stock diff. What this translates to in terms of track numbers...I have no idea. But a few months back, I had the opportunity for a quick run against a gs400 at a light. Light turned green and we both go for it...
I immediatly jumped out about 1/2 car length and continued to slowly pull away from him at a steady rate. By the time I got to 70, I was about 2 car lengths ahead. After that, had to shut down for traffic and there were no more opportunities to line up. In the 4 years I've had my 430, that was the only time I found myself lined up with another GS4. All I can say is "I'm glad I had the 3.76"
Well, as far as track numbers and gear ratios there are way too many factors. Generally a GS430 with 5 speed auto and 3.76 will be quicker than stock 3.27, but with the 3.27 its just that much smoother. I personally think that 3.76 makes feel too "muscle-car/truck like". I'd much rather invest the money onto increasing the torque/hp than messing with gears.

Quick Reply: Good news pi torque converter is awesome!!!