GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Good news pi torque converter is awesome!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-06, 02:33 AM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question for everyone and anyone who knows:

Anyone know of a list of specific states that use the emissions testing in which the CEL is a problem? I'm trying to figure out if I am going to have problems with emissions if I get the TC and CEL light comes on, and everything is closed till monday. I live in Utah also, if anyone also here is on the board (not likely).
Old 01-01-06, 06:52 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by DetMich1
I have heard others with i-Forge complain about this problem with water retained within the rim during use in wet conditions. Creates a moving mass that throws the wheel balance off and results in vibration at highway speeds. The last thing you want when you're traveling fast.
It's not just IForge - typically any three-piece wheel has this issue. My HRE's and DaveGS4, and score of other members on here that have 3-piece wheels have this issue.

You just learn to live with it. Either go at 60 MPH or just get off the road when it is raining heavily. That's what I do anyway.
Old 01-01-06, 07:59 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
It's not just IForge - typically any three-piece wheel has this issue. My HRE's and DaveGS4, and score of other members on here that have 3-piece wheels have this issue.

You just learn to live with it. Either go at 60 MPH or just get off the road when it is raining heavily. That's what I do anyway.
does it have to be pooring rain, or will even driving through a puddle or a minor shower cause this?
Old 01-01-06, 08:07 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the_ez_rhino
Question for everyone and anyone who knows:

Anyone know of a list of specific states that use the emissions testing in which the CEL is a problem? I'm trying to figure out if I am going to have problems with emissions if I get the TC and CEL light comes on, and everything is closed till monday. I live in Utah also, if anyone also here is on the board (not likely).
Don't know about your state, but in Charlotte NC, they use obdII and 1st question they ask before testing is if your cel light is on. In addition, they also check to make sure the light does come on at startup just to make sure its not disconnected. For this reason, I can not take the chance with a TC on my 430 for fear the light may come on and screw me for testing. So for now, I'll settle for the 3.76lsd.
Old 01-01-06, 08:11 AM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rheiy
Don't know about your state, but in Charlotte NC, they use obdII and 1st question they ask before testing is if your cel light is on. In addition, they also check to make sure the light does come on at startup just to make sure its not disconnected. For this reason, I can not take the chance with a TC on my 430 for fear the light may come on and screw me for testing. So for now, I'll settle for the 3.76lsd.

So basically the other states that dont use the obdii testing won't care if your CEL light is on, as long as you pass the smog checks and everything else?
Old 01-01-06, 08:11 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down 3 piece wheels

Boy I never heard this before.
Maybe I just have not been paying attention.
Or could it be that people just don't want others to know.

If I plop down $3-$5000 for a set of wheels I sure would not want to have to wait
for it to quit raining in order to drive.

I live in Seattle and the last 12 days have each had at least 1/3 inch of rain.

I would not buy a 3 piece wheel for any price knowing this.

Ivan
3dog
Old 01-01-06, 08:25 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by chuckb
does it have to be pooring rain, or will even driving through a puddle or a minor shower cause this?
Just pouring rain. Light showers don't deposit enough water in the channel to cause this issue.
Originally Posted by 3dog

If I plop down $3-$5000 for a set of wheels I sure would not want to have to wait

Ivan
3dog
It's actually very well documented.
Read this thread that I posted a year ago about this issue when I discovered this problem. SoCalSC4 (he used to work for HRE wheels before) responded to it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139637

Having said that, I still think it is worth the upgrade in wheels to me anyway.
Old 01-01-06, 08:29 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by the_ez_rhino
So basically the other states that dont use the obdii testing won't care if your CEL light is on, as long as you pass the smog checks and everything else?
Hard to say...every state is different but I'd be willing to guess that if they still use the old stick up the tail pipe, you have a good chance they won't care about the cel as long as the emmissions are within your state's range. Best to ask your test center if they check the cel or not
Old 01-01-06, 09:02 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

My LOWENHARTS are the same way but it's not that bad you adjust to it pretty quick
Old 01-01-06, 12:42 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Ivan
3dog

This issue has a lot less to do with brand and wheel design and more to do with the width of rear wheels when staggered, when a 9.5-10" wheel collects water in the barrel it throws off the balance forcing you to slow down.
Old 01-01-06, 01:26 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Indio
This issue has a lot less to do with brand and wheel design and more to do with the width of rear wheels when staggered, when a 9.5-10" wheel collects water in the barrel it throws off the balance forcing you to slow down.
That's what I thought, I have seen the water collected in my IForged but never collects enough to be a problem. Except after I wash the car, which I would promptly dry the inner area. But so far when I drive I haven't seen enough water collect during a rain storm to cause a problem. *Knock on Wood*. But I love these rims way too much to consider getting rid of them.
Old 01-03-06, 06:41 PM
FuzzyMD
Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Yeah, but you these LSD/high stall converters can be quite pricey, probably $1,500.00 for each,
is this the TC you guys taking about? I planed to get one by the summer, seems like quite a bit lower price then on SRT website

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=3
Old 01-03-06, 06:48 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FuzzyMD
is this the TC you guys taking about? I planed to get one by the summer, seems like quite a bit lower price then on SRT website

Yep...that's the one
Old 01-04-06, 04:07 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just pouring rain. Light showers don't deposit enough water in the channel to cause this issue.
It's actually very well documented.
Read this thread that I posted a year ago about this issue when I discovered this problem. SoCalSC4 (he used to work for HRE wheels before) responded to it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139637

Having said that, I still think it is worth the upgrade in wheels to me anyway.
I just read this thread. I gotta say somehow I missed this one.

It rains way too much here to put up with that.
I think I just heard we are on the 18th straight day with measureable rain.

Thanks for the link Hameed

Ivan
3dog

Originally Posted by FuzzyMD

That is an incredible low price. I wonder why it has come down so much.

Ivan
3dog
Old 01-04-06, 04:38 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

That is an incredible low price. I wonder why it has come down so much.

Ivan
3dog
I got mine almost 2 years ago and it was $849.00 then, so I don't think it has come down that much............

I thought it was an excellent price at $849.00.

Quick Reply: Good news pi torque converter is awesome!!!