GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Double DIN in dash DVD unit

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-06 | 08:02 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Very Very Nice.. Are You Utilizing The Factory Cd Changer?
Old 01-02-06 | 09:35 AM
Exsys2000
Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Very Very Nice.. Are You Utilizing The Factory Cd Changer?
No. I am selling that because it won't integrate with this unit, the factory changer will not play DVD or MP3 and this unit came with a 6 disc DVD/CD/MP3/VCD changer. The head unit does not have any playing capability, there is no slot so it must be used with the changer supplied. I am about to get started again with completing the install by mounting the changer where the factory changer was. I ran out of time on Saturday and temporarily placed it on the rear floor. I will put the factory head unit and changer up for sale on ebay soon.
Old 01-02-06 | 11:39 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Wait wait wait!!! Don't sell that changer yet! You'll need it when you sell the car. Keep the Components that came with it. You get more money when selling/trading it in with OEM Lexus parts vs. aftermarket.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=Kenwood+KVT

There's my DIY writeup from a couple months back about my Kenwood Install. It was my first as well and I loved every min of it. Do you see yourself adding Navi soon? If so get the Kenwood KNA-4100. Lexus uses the same unit in their cars as the latest gen Navi I believe
Old 01-02-06 | 04:33 PM
LJGS300
Driver

what's up TI? i'm new to this site just bought my first Lex (02 GS300). i heard Lexus uses Eclipse as their factory Nav units not kenwood.
someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 01-02-06 | 04:40 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by LJGS300
what's up TI? i'm new to this site just bought my first Lex (02 GS300). i heard Lexus uses Eclipse as their factory Nav units not kenwood.
someone correct me if i'm wrong.
You're correct for the most part (by their parent company Fujitsu Ten), although some other companies do it for certain models/generations from what I've read.

Oh, and welcome! I'm in Charlotte - noticed your NC
Old 01-02-06 | 07:18 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

Success! I finished the installation of the new system by mounting the new DVD changer in place of the factory unit. See pics below. Some minor surgery was required of the rear panel of the glove box so I can get the magazine out but I did not mind. I would rather have the changer in the glove box. I may trim the cut edges with something giving a finished or factory look.

tiguy99, I plan to sell the factory head unit, amp and CD changer anyway. I can't see going back, I don't ever plan to sell the car and I got enough junk hanging around. I still have the head unit to my 1995 Chevy pickup and I am not selling that vehicle either. Every year it only becomes worth less and less.

I don't see myself adding navigation either unless it would be something stand alone like Tom Tom. My head unit has 3 inputs so I could get a voice command navigation and have the display go to the new head unit I installed. Navigation is wonderful but given the current prices, I will stick with Mapquest printed routes. If the Pioneer AVIC-D1 ever gets to a decent price, I can replace my head unit with the Pioneer and still retain my DVD changer.
Attached Thumbnails Double DIN in dash DVD unit-9.jpg  
Old 01-03-06 | 06:22 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Not to hijack this thread, but how does the cut glove box look like it might hold up? Aren't you missing one screw now to hold it in place? Does it rattle as you go down the road? The reason I ask is because I was considering cutting the wife's glove box to install a factory CD unit into her non-CD RX. It just looked like it would be a loose fit being cut there and rattle like crazy. A factory CD glove box from the dealer is $137, which is more than CD player cost me!! Still looking for other options.
Old 01-03-06 | 09:11 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexTPOP
Another After picture 3

i think thats the same install kit i used on mine, heres a pic of mine quick:

anyway, looks good!
Old 01-03-06 | 04:04 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

Originally Posted by GWELEX
Not to hijack this thread, but how does the cut glove box look like it might hold up? Aren't you missing one screw now to hold it in place? Does it rattle as you go down the road? The reason I ask is because I was considering cutting the wife's glove box to install a factory CD unit into her non-CD RX. It just looked like it would be a loose fit being cut there and rattle like crazy. A factory CD glove box from the dealer is $137, which is more than CD player cost me!! Still looking for other options.
I had a factory CD changer in there. I only had to make the opening about 3/4" taller. All screws are back in place and it looks pretty good and does not rattle or shake. It closes and opens just the same. If you do not have the factory brackets, you may have to make your own. I only screwed the factory brackets to the new changer and mounted it the same way.
Old 01-03-06 | 04:09 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
i think thats the same install kit i used on mine,

anyway, looks good!
Yes it appears to be the same kit. How was the fit? Did you use the plastic mounting brackets?

Your system looks similar as well. Tell me about it. Capabilities, purchase place, price. I like options.
Old 02-21-06 | 07:38 AM
alister
Pole Position

Had to bump this, Todd.

The first vendor you mention is on my way home so that's great for the kit. I can use it as single DIN for now and upgrade later to double DIN if I change. Can you get me a part number for the toyota wiring harness though? I searched your (awesome) writeup but there is no clear # and I like to be exact when I go buy something. I see references to a 70-8112 mostly but a few places mention a 70-8113.

Last edited by alister; 02-21-06 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-21-06 | 10:45 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

nice Job
looks great ... what size screen is that? 7"
again looks good
Old 02-21-06 | 07:41 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

Yes, it is a 7" screen. I have enjoyed the great sound and the movies when driving. It drives me crazy now to drive my truck and be forced to listen to broadcast radio and the lame commercials. I have done some updating since the first post. I was going to do a full write up but other projects and time constraints have prevented me from doing so. I have added a car PC with navigation, wireless web and MP3 capability. I am still not completely finished so the details on what I did and how will come later but navigation is sweet. Again, this is all budget minded. I have all the expensive toys without the high price. This may leave a lot of you salivating but wait you must. It will be worth it. I am happy with my setup and am working on the final details but my list of work to be done on my car and the wife's is growing. I have the clear bra for mine to install, finishing installation of the sound control matting, mouting my amps, detailing etc. Changing bulbs, emblems, finish removing the pinstripe, remove and reinstall the spoiler, retint on the wife's car. Currently I am renovating an area of my house so the cars are on hold. I will try to update soon on a boring rainy day or long road trip.