GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

First 3 Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-06, 07:36 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First 3 Mods

Today marks the completion of my first 3 mods to my 2002 GS 300. The first one being on Christmas day installing a new spoiler. It took a lot of courage to drill 5 holes in my trunk lid but it was a clean install. The spoiler came from ebay and was already painted matching my paint code. I believe it cost around $200.

The second mod many already know about if you have been following it is the installation of a double DIN screen head unit with AM/FM/TV tuner, AUX and camera inputs and a 6 disc DVD/CD/MP3/VCD changer the details of which are in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193927

The third mod was completed this morning and was the replacement of the stock chrome emblems with black pearl. I did a procedure in a PDF file detailing how I did it step by step and I wanted to post a link to it here from my webspace but it won't completely transfer so if you want it, PM me and I will e-mail it to you. It is about 1MB in size.

My future plans are not much more. I plan to remove the factory grill and paint it gloss black and reinstall it and I would like to get a black pearl emblem for the front grill too but I can't seem to find one at a good price. I would like to black out all the chrome trim on the car but doubt that will ever happen. I may darken the marker lights but after that I think I am done. The car will be just how I want it.

This picture is of the first and third mods.
Attached Thumbnails First 3 Mods-11.jpg  
Old 01-02-06, 07:45 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Car looks good. Congrats on the new mods.... I think you'll be doing more mods in the future.... LOL
Old 01-02-06, 07:51 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

once you start, you cant stop!!!!! looks nice
Old 01-02-06, 07:57 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

Thanks. You are probably right. I never had mods on the brain until I found this site. I have definately been shown possiblities. I may consider lowering it too. Wheels are taboo for me. It seems each time I purchase wheels, I have them six months and get rid of the vehicle I put them on despite having driven years with stock wheels. It is just a strange coincidence that keeps happening to me. At least I know what my lottery car would be if I ever win. The newest black on black GS 430 I can find with Mark Levinson and navigation that is not in the style of the 06. I am not sure what year that would be. I don't know enough about the history to know when the radical change was made. I don't like the 06. The 6 rear bumper caps is not Lexus quality to me. It is funny to me that my purchase with lottery funds would be a USED car.

I guess it can be said, I am getting the fever.

Last edited by LexTPOP; 01-03-06 at 04:10 AM.
Old 01-02-06, 10:57 PM
noop
Instructor

looking good, I love those black emblems, I think thats going to be the next mod for me.
Old 01-02-06, 11:27 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by LexTPOP
It is funny to me that my purchase with lottery funds would be a USED car.

I guess it can be said, I am getting the fever.
You...won the lottery? Cool!

Tell us more about the miracle.
Old 01-03-06, 12:15 AM
LexusIV
Pole Position

I don't like the 06. The 6 rear bumper caps is not Lexus quality to me. It is funny to me that my purchase with lottery funds would be a USED car.

Are those round cirlces what you are calling bumper caps? If so those are reverse sensors that let you know if you are about to back into somthing.

BTW. The change was made in 06. 2005 is the last year lexus made the second gen. GS.

And yes, please tell us more about winning the lotto.
Old 01-03-06, 03:44 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats on the purchase and choice of mods
Old 01-03-06, 04:09 AM
Exsys2000
Driver

No I didn't win the lottery. That would be my choice IF I won the lottery. I apolgize for getting everyone so excited.

Okay, so 2 of the caps are backing sensors, it still looks like 4 of them are screw caps. Are all 6 backing sensors? I still like the look of the 2005 (thanks for the info) and earlier body style better. Was this body style run from 1998 to 2005?

Does anyone know where I can find the black pearl grill emblem? Besides the dealer of course. ebay doesn't have it and that surprises me.

Last edited by LexTPOP; 01-03-06 at 04:13 AM.
Old 01-03-06, 08:36 AM
redbaron
Pole Position

Default More mods please

Just by virtue of your posting here, we will see more mods to come.

I too just wanted rims, tint and some subtle things here and there done to my gs400.

Now, im not so sure.

good luck
b
Old 01-04-06, 03:29 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

No I didn't win the lottery. That would be my choice IF I won the lottery. I apolgize for getting everyone so excited.

Okay, so 2 of the caps are backing sensors, it still looks like 4 of them are screw caps. Are all 6 backing sensors? I still like the look of the 2005 (thanks for the info) and earlier body style better. Was this body style run from 1998 to 2005?

Does anyone know where I can find the black pearl grill emblem? Besides the dealer of course. ebay doesn't have it and that surprises me.
If no other source is available, there are vendors who can replate the stock emblem with the black pearl finish. Have you tried Carson Toyota (l-tuned parts) as a possible source. Steve has just about everything or can get it if you need it.
I assume you are looking for something like this:
As far as body style, yes the 2nd Gen GS was in production from model year 1998 through 2005 though very few 2005 were actually produced as 2006 production began early , around March or April I think. there was a mid-cycle freshening of the design in 2001 when the 400 was replaced by the 430. Just some minor cosmetic changes to the interior and exterior of the car along with the change to Mark Levinson from Nakamichi for the upgraded sound system and improvement in the Navigation system.
Attached Thumbnails First 3 Mods-bkp_main.jpg  
Old 01-04-06, 03:39 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Today marks the completion of my first 3 mods to my 2002 GS 300. The first one being on Christmas day installing a new spoiler. It took a lot of courage to drill 5 holes in my trunk lid but it was a clean install. The spoiler came from ebay and was already painted matching my paint code. I believe it cost around $200.

The second mod many already know about if you have been following it is the installation of a double DIN screen head unit with AM/FM/TV tuner, AUX and camera inputs and a 6 disc DVD/CD/MP3/VCD changer the details of which are in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193927

The third mod was completed this morning and was the replacement of the stock chrome emblems with black pearl. I did a procedure in a PDF file detailing how I did it step by step and I wanted to post a link to it here from my webspace but it won't completely transfer so if you want it, PM me and I will e-mail it to you. It is about 1MB in size.

My future plans are not much more. I plan to remove the factory grill and paint it gloss black and reinstall it and I would like to get a black pearl emblem for the front grill too but I can't seem to find one at a good price. I would like to black out all the chrome trim on the car but doubt that will ever happen. I may darken the marker lights but after that I think I am done. The car will be just how I want it.

For a grill what about something like this in black pearl chrome:
Attached Thumbnails First 3 Mods-bkc_grille01up.jpg  
Old 01-04-06, 03:41 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Or how bout replacing the garnish on the trunk with black chrome instead of the usual JDM chrome if you want to darken all the chrome on the car?
Attached Thumbnails First 3 Mods-bkc_garnish02up.jpg  
Old 01-04-06, 03:42 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

And if you feel like going for the VIP style but want the black pearl instead of chrome, how bout these door handles?
Once you get a taste of modifying the car to fit your own personal image, you will find it very hard to ever truly be "finished"
Attached Thumbnails First 3 Mods-bkc_doorup.jpg  
Old 01-04-06, 06:17 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice mods what next

Quick Reply: First 3 Mods