GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help on deciding to buy nav or not please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-06, 08:49 AM
Fusionwork
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on deciding to buy nav or not please!

Hello, first let me say that this is my first post as I've been lurking around here for some time both when I had my 2002 IS300 and now again when I'm in the market for a new car. This forum has been of great help.

I'm currently in the process of selling my Supra TT and am in the market for a GS430. I've primarily been looking for 02 and 03 430s. Now for my question(s). Is the Levinson/Nav combo really worth it? Is it just as difficult to use as the system in the IS300? And finally how good does it really sound?

I'm a bit of an audio purist and have installed pretty elaborate systems in the majority of my previous vehicles. So my thinking was to skip the ML/NAV option and do a nice double din nav/dvd/mp3 unit like the ones from eclipse and replace all the speakers/amps anyway. However, I've never experienced the ML/NAV setup in a GS, but I did hear one in an LX470.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-04-06, 09:01 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Welcome!

Your question has been asked several times in the past and I encourage you to use the search feature to find prior responses - instant answers, no waiting!

I searched for "levinson navigation worth" in the GS forum and found some to get you started
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...earchid=415626

Some of the threads:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...vigation+worth

Good luck in your search.
Old 01-04-06, 09:13 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

First you ask yourself, "Do I really need one" to justify it.

Unless you:
1. Often travel to places you've never been to before without prior planning.
2. Often need to find a quick detours route around traffic jams.
3. Often seek points-of-destinations spontaneously without prior planning.

Then why bother. Unless you just want it to toy around with. We all need our toys.
Old 01-04-06, 10:15 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My nav system has been very useful here in So. Cal. Another benefit of the OEM nav system is the clean integration of stereo and climate controls.

If it isn't too cost prohibitive for you, I think the ML/Nav combo is worth it IMHO.
Old 01-04-06, 10:47 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bmgs400
First you ask yourself, "Do I really need one" to justify it.

Unless you:
1. Often travel to places you've never been to before without prior planning.
2. Often need to find a quick detours route around traffic jams.
3. Often seek points-of-destinations spontaneously without prior planning.

Then why bother. Unless you just want it to toy around with. We all need our toys.
Speaking of just the Nav part, you don't need to do these often for the system to be useful. These situations come up for me about once a month and having the Nav is great. I have not regretted getting a car with Nav and will now always look for a car with Nav. Whether you want OEM integration, aftermarket integration, or stand-alone unit is another topic.
Old 01-04-06, 11:03 AM
merlin70
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nav is one of those things that is nice to have. When new it was a $2k option I think? I would say it is not worth that, however, now that these cars are used you can get nav/levinson for hardly any more than a regular GS.

I had a GS without either and now have an 03 430 with both. If you are very picky on the audio you might not like the ML, for everyone else the system is great. I like it and would never change it, but then again I'm not super picky on my audio systems. It is one of the best factory systems though. The nav is nice and I use it about once per week.

Look around a bit and you should be able to easily get a 430 with nav/ML.
Old 01-04-06, 11:09 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Neo
Speaking of just the Nav part, you don't need to do these often for the system to be useful. These situations come up for me about once a month and having the Nav is great. I have not regretted getting a car with Nav and will now always look for a car with Nav. Whether you want OEM integration, aftermarket integration, or stand-alone unit is another topic.
For sure. Knowing the NAV is there to help out is a good feature. But hey, we're guys...we don't get lost...we just explore randomly.
Old 01-04-06, 11:25 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bmgs400
But hey, we're guys...we don't get lost...we just explore randomly.
LOL. Not when you drive an SUV with the rising gas prices (although the prices have backed off a little recently).
Old 01-04-06, 11:39 AM
Fusionwork
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses.

For one I DO want nav in the car no matter what. I've had it in other cars and now I'm spoiled. I think I'm leaning towards installing a complete fresh system starting with an Eclipse double din HDD unit and using external amplification. Obviously it would be best to find a car w/o the nav already, but if I didn't, is there an aftermarket for a used factory Navi and ML systems?
Old 01-04-06, 11:45 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Another benefit of the OEM nav system is the clean integration of stereo and climate controls.
It is a sexy, hi-tech, fully integrated system. I'm guessing that for someone who wants to do a stereo frontend or complete stereo upgrade, the ML/NAV may not be desirable...I could be wrong.
Old 01-04-06, 08:14 PM
Fusionwork
Driver School Candidate

Okay, now for a follow up question. I noticed that the ML/NAVI setup has integrated controls so that means it's a big no no to pull it for a different unit. So lets say that i stumble across a nav car that I just have to buy. Are there any modules out there to convert the stock nav system to some preamp outputs that I can feed an amp? I've looked into the JL Audio cleansweep for my previous IS300, but was wondering if there were simpler options.

Thanks!
Old 01-04-06, 08:24 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

i think you should install ur own and also run nav on that one
Old 01-05-06, 07:01 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fusionwork
Okay, now for a follow up question. I noticed that the ML/NAVI setup has integrated controls so that means it's a big no no to pull it for a different unit. So lets say that i stumble across a nav car that I just have to buy. Are there any modules out there to convert the stock nav system to some preamp outputs that I can feed an amp? I've looked into the JL Audio cleansweep for my previous IS300, but was wondering if there were simpler options.

Thanks!
Have you checked the audio/electronics forum?

I'm not familiar at all with the NAV/ML integration and it's stereo outputs? Check to see if there are RCA type plugs labeled "Output L/R". If so, then these may be your pre-amp outputs.

Is there room for a new head unit in the dash on cars with the NAV/ML? If so, I'd go with a new head unit, pre-amp/cross-over, amps, and speakers.
Old 01-05-06, 04:02 PM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

I'm a bit of an audio purist and have installed pretty elaborate systems in the majority of my previous vehicles. So my thinking was to skip the ML/NAV option and do a nice double din nav/dvd/mp3 unit like the ones from eclipse and replace all the speakers/amps anyway....
I think your question is, "Since OEM NAV binds you to ML (on the GS) how good is ML in the GS?

IMHO, the GS's ML is better than many OEM audio systems, it's not that great. Also, if you're looking at a used GS, there's no easy, cheap way to integrate IPOD/SAT Radio and have high quality audio. So if you're "a bit of a purist" then you know your not going to be able to live with ML in a GS.

The only cavet is that ML/NAV on a used Lexus doesn't add too much to the final price and it's pretty good for price added ($500?). If you're like me, you're going to start looking at things and before you know it, it'll be a full blown mod, for me, they never come in under budget.
Old 01-05-06, 04:13 PM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

...Are there any modules out there to convert the stock nav system to some preamp outputs that I can feed an amp?
I've searched all over the net for this and can't find anything except the $700 aftermarket XM module from a California company (can't find the link). It is inserted into the audio bus like the CD changer and has graphical interface with all the XM info. In theory you should be able to use the same interface the CD changer uses, except it's a digital bus, I don't think there's any analog inputs like an RCA jack. If there are analog jacks, I think you need a digital interface to make it work. In other words, I can't find any easy way to have AUX inputs into ML.

I hope someone here can show me the errors of my ways, but after one year, I've given up. I have my XM input, the freaking cassette tape slot, a second tier solution if there ever was, exp with the XM MiFi looking like a ugly wart on my dash