GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How's Lexus going to catch up to AMG and M Series

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-01, 01:40 PM
AC's TL/540i
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
AC, is that u telling the tl guys to "stop dreaming" about beating a GS AND NOW a 540 over there at the tl forum?
Yes that would be me!

You know I'd like to think that I'm a pretty fair person when it comes to cars. But man, only morons would think that a TLS could beat a 540i or the GS. I mean, C'mon now, common sense would tell you that it's a no brainer. Hey, nothing wrong with wishful thinking. But, let me state that majority of the TL forum guys aren't like that. For the record...
Old 08-08-01, 02:04 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

hey AC, this is Wei, aka GS430 on AL forum. I totally felt you, especially the Ruf guy he is pretty funni that he keeps on arguing wiht me that TLS would Beat a GS4 ..
We are prety cooh for it now. but sigh =D. you know.
Now I see on TLS everywhere =D just like Lexus people when they argue about TLS beats GS400?
Old 08-08-01, 02:21 PM
GSPOWER
Driver

haha, this turned into a pretty funny thread... i love it when fellow CL members stand up for what they believe in. we don't take smack from anyone!!!
1Sicklex, i noticed you on the TL forum representing from time to time... lay down the law next time there's another one of the TLS vs. GS4 debates again...
someone, should regulate the bimmer.org forums too!
Old 08-08-01, 02:27 PM
AC's TL/540i
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by gsintensive
hey AC, this is Wei, aka GS430 on AL forum. I totally felt you, especially the Ruf guy he is pretty funni that he keeps on arguing wiht me that TLS would Beat a GS4 ..
We are prety cooh for it now. but sigh =D. you know.
Now I see on TLS everywhere =D just like Lexus people when they argue about TLS beats GS400?
I always try to be realistic and in most cases avoid confrontation, but what's right is right, you know. I have nothing against RUF, but I can see your point. No offense guys, but only an idiot driving a GS430 would lose to a TLS off the line, in which most cases I personally never came accross one since my GS encounters were always close and fun.

Enjoy the ride ladies and gets...
Old 08-08-01, 03:22 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Amen 1SICKLEX, that TL forum is the worst, everyone comes across like they're 19 and just traded in their 5.0 for a TL-S. All the posts are the same, "Can we beat this car, best bang for buck, is this the fastest car on the planet, someone stole my headlights, this or that is falling apart, etc". And every argument is always " Yeah, but mine cost $20k less, Acura IS a luxury division, off the line we can't be beat, blah, blah, blah..". Don't they realize that most of the people that buy a MB, BMW or Lexus fortunately aren't necessarily worried about the bottom line, looking for a stripped luxury vehicle, aka "bang for the buck". Although BMW and Mercedes have some minor quality issues (which are magnified even larger, only because of the pricetag and their reputations) they are solid vehicles nonetheless. I'd be hard pressed to find many owners of these vehicles trading it in for a TL-S, because they know what they'll expect based on they're prior vehicles, and no doubt they'll be disappointed stepping into the Acura. And let's face it , alot of people are paying for the prestige, and Acura just doesn't have it yet, and adding the RSX moved them a step backwards. I just hope that the Acura forum isn't a representation of the company image, because if so, Acura will continue to remain a steppingstone nameplate.
Old 08-08-01, 03:32 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Amen 1SICKLEX, that TL forum is the worst, everyone comes across like they're 19 and just traded in their 5.0 for a TL-S. All the posts are the same, "Can we beat this car, best bang for buck, is this the fastest car on the planet, someone stole my headlights, this or that is falling apart, etc". And every argument is always " Yeah, but mine cost $20k less, Acura IS a luxury division, off the line we can't be beat, blah, blah, blah..". Don't they realize that most of the people that buy a MB, BMW or Lexus fortunately aren't necessarily worried about the bottom line, looking for a stripped luxury vehicle, aka "bang for the buck". Although BMW and Mercedes have some minor quality issues (which are magnified even larger, only because of the pricetag and their reputations) they are solid vehicles nonetheless. I'd be hard pressed to find many owners of these vehicles trading it in for a TL-S, because they know what they'll expect based on they're prior vehicles, and no doubt they'll be disappointed stepping into the Acura. And let's face it , alot of people are paying for the prestige, and Acura just doesn't have it yet, and adding the RSX moved them a step backwards. I just hope that the Acura forum isn't a representation of the company image, because if so, Acura will continue to remain a steppingstone nameplate.
Old 08-08-01, 05:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,354 Likes on 1,542 Posts
Default Re: Ugh..

Originally posted by MrHorse
Going back to the MT article comparing the three "sport" versions of each sports sedans with a stock GS - it was an unfair matchup. ... I don't understand why they gave it last place based on handling only?
I just read some of the comments on the GS430 in the latest Car & Driver shoot out, a stock one with 16" wheels (because that's what Lexus gave the magazine), and they were impressed with its handling, despite only having 16's. They were very complementary overall, and the car came in third, just behind the Audi A6 4.2 (because they like all wheel drive I think) and the (surprise) 540i.

I think this was basically a fair result. There's just NO WAY the GS430, even with 17s is going to beat a 540i in an enthusiast magazine.

As far as why they don't have an L-Tuned one, again, it's whatever Lexus corporate gives the magazine for the shootout, and Lexus is not promoting L-Tuned much yet ... for their own reasons I'm sure.

Old 08-08-01, 09:46 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AC hey man, haha that's pretty funny.
Good to hear that you didn't turn into a troll!

Originally posted by W210
The fact is that the BMW Motorsport division and MB AMG have stock cars that perform much better than anything offered by Lexus in North America at the moment.

No but, if or when.

However, let's hope that Lexus will have something out soon to keep the competition going. If enough of us demand one, they may listen and come up with a M5/E55 fighter.

As far as Acura is concerned, they don't even have a high performance sedan, let alone a super performance sedan.
Yes it's a FACT, M- gmbH M5 and AMG E55 have "stock cars" that are faster than anything offered by Lexus in NA. Good you noticed that because outside North America there are some SCARY Toyotas out there . Aristo V300....... Chaser 2.5GT and Soarer 2.5GT...... need I say more?

Lexus doesn't need to prove anything by bringing another car. The GS series is already kickin butts on the E-class and 5 series stage. I don't see why Toyota/Lexus needs to embarass BMW and MB by bringing the V300 here. Any TRUE car enthusiast knows how powerful those are.

And I considered factory-tuned as being NOT STOCK. A special engine and suspension system, transmission, etc. made for a car wouldn't make that car stock.

As for Acura, I totally agree. and NSX isn't a sedan LexusPride