GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Not quite getting the shifting thing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-06, 06:24 PM
Hardaway33
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not quite getting the shifting thing?

As most of you know by now I recently bought a gs400. I read the manual about how to shift and I went out and tried it for the first time.(because I usually drive in "D"). The shifts don't seem to make a difference to driving in D to me, but I'm pretty sure that I am doing it wrong! Any suggestions from my CL elders ?
Old 01-04-06, 06:38 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't get what you are not understanding?? Are you talking about using your paddle shifters??

Jonny
Old 01-04-06, 06:43 PM
Hardaway33
Rookie

On the steering wheel there are up down buttons that I'm not totally understanding what to do with, that's basically the situation I'm having! When do you use them, and how?
Old 01-04-06, 06:47 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hardaway33
On the steering wheel there are up down buttons that I'm not totally understanding what to do with, that's basically the situation I'm having! When do you use them, and how?
Put it in M and start shifting!!

Stop, put it in M, paddle down to 2 and then stomp on it, paddle into 3rd at 6000rpms etc etc

jonny
Old 01-04-06, 06:51 PM
Hardaway33
Rookie

I guess it will become easier with practice? will the tranny get damaged if the shifts are alittle delayed?
Old 01-04-06, 06:59 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

I guess it will become easier with practice? will the tranny get damaged if the shifts are alittle delayed?
No. You will just bounce off your limiter for a while until you realize it is time to shift

Jonny
Old 01-04-06, 07:10 PM
Hardaway33
Rookie

Is there going to be better performance if I shift rather than driving in D?
Old 01-04-06, 07:14 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Is there going to be better performance if I shift rather than driving in D?
Well, you get to choose where you shift into the next gear - so yes.

Jonny
Old 01-04-06, 07:44 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dx3
Well, you get to choose where you shift into the next gear - so yes.

Jonny
for example, lets say youre rollin down the highwayat about 80 and see another vehicle you want to "play" with. Flip the shift **** over to "M" for "manual" shifting and you will see under your speedo a number for what gear youre currently in. Now hit the down button on your steering wheel until you;re in 3rd gear. you will hear the RPMs go way up. this readies you for a hard rolling launch from 80. Now STOMP on the gas and get launched back in your seat! Always watch your RPMS and listen to the car. I have hit the rev limiter before but the car will sometimes shift itself up to the next gear as a safety feature. It takes some time and practice, but once you get it down, the highway is MUCH more fun.

THEN you'll be driving it like you stole it!
Old 01-05-06, 05:20 PM
nicola
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As most of you know by now I recently bought a gs400. I read the manual about how to shift and I went out and tried it for the first time.(because I usually drive in "D"). The shifts don't seem to make a difference to driving in D to me, but I'm pretty sure that I am doing it wrong! Any suggestions from my CL elders ?
lol if this is confusing you, keep it in D and save your transmission and engine.
Old 01-05-06, 05:40 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Administrator

Received 2,338 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Couple of things to do

1) if you don't have an owners manual, get one and read it. You can get it free from Lexus, here's how
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/great-deals/92845-free-lexus-owner-s-manual-if-you-lost-yours-interesting.html

2) try searching this forum to see how other members use e-shift.
use 'advanced search' to point at the GS forum and search for keywords like 'eshift' or 'e-shift' or 'e-shift faster'

3) General consensus (and my opinion as well) is that in a sprint the car is faster letting it shift auto, with pwr 'on' on 'vsc off'. I use e-shift to slow down or to be in the right gear when I want to get a jump.
Old 02-23-06, 09:12 AM
nicola
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheSupe87
LOL - nicola you must be over 30. No offense, I just got a kick out of your comment. I'm with you, Nicola, I'm only 23 - but I still like to have fun once in a while. On my supra I have a similar feature - but instead of being able to control the shifts, I just have an ECT button - when I press it, it will shift at like 6000+ rpm (no rev limiter) in ever gear, depending on how far you've got the pedal pressed
(sorry for the late bump)

I'm actually 21 . I was just commenting on the guys lack of understanding when it came to shifting an auto - he just seemed to lack a lot of the common sense that keeps most of us from buying a new tranny... I've driven stick since since I had a license and I miss it a lot in my GS4, and the buttons on the steering wheel are a joke. I usually manually shift with the shifter if at all (allows you to keep it in 1st anyway).
Old 02-23-06, 12:16 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Using the paddle controls does the same thing as pulling the gear lever down into the gear you want.
Old 02-23-06, 01:47 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Can you press either button (left or right) to shift, or do you have to press both at the same time?

Also, say you are in D and you're at 40mph in 5th gear. If you romp the throttle, the tranny will kick down to whatever gear is optimal for the situation. But wat happens if you're in Manual mode? Does the tranny stay in the gear you want or does it kick down also?
Old 02-23-06, 02:15 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg
Can you press either button (left or right) to shift, or do you have to press both at the same time?

Also, say you are in D and you're at 40mph in 5th gear. If you romp the throttle, the tranny will kick down to whatever gear is optimal for the situation. But wat happens if you're in Manual mode? Does the tranny stay in the gear you want or does it kick down also?

You can press either button. It will down shift to a lower gear.

5 on the shifter does the same thing as 5 in manual
There is no 4 on the shifter it is only available in manual
3 on the shifter does the same thing as 3 in manual
2 on the shifter does the same thing as 2 in manual
1 is available on the shifter and not in manual mode

Quick Reply: Not quite getting the shifting thing?