GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

shift knob and boot

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-01 | 08:20 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

I was planning on changing my shift **** and adding a boot. heres a pic from a past post.

i think this is a real nice setup. but im probably going to use this momo shift **** that i think looks better.

but i have a few questions about the boot.

1) I know the one in the pic is from a nsx. But Ive seen real nice universal boots from momo. has anyone tried that?

2) how would i go about putting in the boot? someone said it took them 5 minutes. could anyone give me step by step instructions?

what would be different on the momo universal boot and the nsx boot? is there anything special that the nsx boot has?

thanks,
allen
Old 08-16-01 | 10:20 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Default Shift Boot

I just picked up my boot from the Acura dealer. It looks too short to fit. I'll give it a try when I get home tonight.
Old 08-16-01 | 12:53 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

here are some info. Special thanks to Ricky (HI98GS)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Not too sure if the aftermarket shift know will fit as nicely, especially if it is the screw on type. the other types with the hex screws that bind the post fit better because you can adjust the height of the ****.

Screw on type is like stock, the other type has 3 hex screws at the base of the shifter which must be tightened to hold the shifter in place. This is the type that MOMO uses. The boot stays up because it doesn't really sag at all.

The MOMO has some adjustment parts that will make the shift **** feel solid on the GS. You will still need to use the hex screws.

The **** and boot do not connect.

If you look at the picture closely, the ring around the shift boot is the stock one and it is removed by pulling it off. Be careful not to pull to hard, you may distort the ring. Start off on the top portion (closet to the radio) When you place the boot, then replace the ring. I found it easiest to use a screwdriver to push the clips back to snap the ring in place. The boot fits well and stays in place because of the ring and the adhesive on the boot.

BTW if you can find another shift boot with the same dimensions (3 x 5 inch base) it may fit just as well. The only problem may be if the leather is thicker than the NSX one then it may be hard to get the ring back on.

The boot is big enough to shift back to 2 and L but it gets kinda tight. It will go into P easily and all the way down to 3 without any tension on the boot, but 2 and L there is some tension. I just use the E-shift to get this low. I don't use L at all since I am too worried about too much strain on the tranny.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Since there are tension when I'll need to shift into 2 or L, I want to see if I can find something else that I can use for the boot. There's a custom car leather shop around my house where my bro did his seat inserts. They also do boots I think. I'll ask if they can make a 3x5 boot with a longer front surface, so when I shift to 2 or L there won't be any tension.
Old 08-16-01 | 04:19 PM
TonyN
Instructor

um.. when your talking about L and P, this is for an automatic right? the pic on the top does not seem like and automatic shift ****, no button on top. do the GS come with overdrive???
tony
Old 08-16-01 | 04:37 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by LS400in520
um.. when your talking about L and P, this is for an automatic right? the pic on the top does not seem like and automatic shift ****, no button on top. do the GS come with overdrive???
tony
yes it's auto.

when a car uses gate-style shifting for its automatic transmission (like GSs), there is no need for a shift-release button and no need for an OD button. the OD is just D-drive. L 2 3 4 are the 1-4th gears.

So the GS and other gate-style shifting automatics all use manual transmission *****. Like my RAZO.
Old 08-16-01 | 06:44 PM
TonyN
Instructor

hey i didn't know that, thanks for the info..
tony
Old 08-17-01 | 03:36 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Default get momo ****!!

check out my momo ****
Attached Thumbnails shift knob and boot-dsc00114.jpg