GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Track run video.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-06, 04:57 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice run and good vid. Now you got me wanting to take my car down to the track and run it.
Old 01-06-06, 07:02 AM
Matt L
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice run. That is a very respectable time for a 4300 lb car! Great job. I noticed one thing. In the burnout box, you lit up the tires. Next time, do not warm up your street tires like that. Believe it or not, your street tires will get better traction when cold. On the other hand, drag radials need to be roasted so they get sticky. However, street tires are a different rubber compound. When you warm up street tires like that, the rubber releases oils that make them more slippery, thereby losing traction. If you just do a run without warming up your street tires, you may shave off a few tenths and break into the 13's. Good luck on future runs. BTW, I have not seen too many Lexus cars at the track, so I commend you on your run. What was that other car you smoked?
Old 01-06-06, 07:04 AM
Ronsully
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BPU and turn up the boost. You should see low 12 or high 11s..... with a stall and tires
Old 01-06-06, 07:04 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Very nicely done A. I gotta admit the car look ssick on the track, all shined up with the gettins. Not everyday you see a Gs300 screaming down the drag strip lol.
Old 01-06-06, 07:10 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am at work so I cannot watch the video right now - but I am looking forward to getting home tonight to see it.

In fact, I would settle for just hearing it

Jonny
Old 01-06-06, 07:28 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice Blue!!!!!

Nearly a 2.5 sec improvement over the original motor is like driving a different car!

Plus, 14.2 is nothing to sneeze at especially with a 4000+ lb car!

Some tuning & tweaking and you 'll be one of the few guys with the show car qualities you have along with a 13 sec timeslip!
Old 01-06-06, 08:03 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice run. I agree with most of the comments above. Launch is very important and anything off the 60ft time will give at least that and often 2 times that improvement at tracks end. So, dropping that 2.4 to a 2.2 would have that 14.27 at the very least a 14.07 and more likely a 13.8-13.9. That is VERY respectable for a 3 liter car weighing nearly 4400 pounds.

Speaking of the weight. Any diet plans? My best times were right at 4000 pounds (me included) in my LS. This is something to note for people wanting performance. Power to weight is the key. If you weigh more you need more power. If you weigh more parts must be stronger or they will break. Braking distance goes up. Cornering speeds go down.

Obviously owning an LS shows that I am not some fanatic about super light weight. However, this may make some re-think if that 200 pound stereo system is worth it or if a 50 pound system will sound good enough. Personally the sound of a happy engine is sweet to my ears. Heavy wheels are another. There is a wide range of weight in every size. Some 17" outweigh some 20s but the norm is opposite.

Keep tuning, keep practicing, keep trying new things. You have a very respectable running car with huge potential. Keep the shiny side up
Old 01-06-06, 08:08 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

BTW, your power calculates out to about 360 engine. Many calculators on the web claim this is rear wheel HP. Don't believe it. My car calculated to 306hp which makes sense. Claiming my car had 362 is rediculous (the RWHP suggestion). Equally, yours does not have 425... yet
Old 01-06-06, 09:36 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Congrats Adrian. Good to see another full on show car GS run at the track!!! I don't have any vid of my runs cuz I was the only Lexus my first time out. I went with a bunch of friends with 3SI's to a track day. You shoulda heard the announcer when I pulled up to the line with a fully kitted, custom painted GS on full chrome 20's, priceless!!!
Old 01-06-06, 09:45 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Btw, that 2nd reaction time can't be right?! Over 6 seconds?! The boost musta really kicked in afterwards to make up the time, eh? Top end powa, baby!!! Seriously, nice improvement over your N/A times. Most people who don't know will question the times (I know, cuz they questioned my times) , but just remind them of how much tonnage your pushin down the track!!!
Old 01-06-06, 11:14 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
way to be A- none of the other boosted GS guys EVER post vids of a track run
I think Racerredi is the only other boosted GS I've seen run on the 1/4.

not really a bad run for first outing. you'll crack 13s next time. if you didn't have big brakes you could run some smaller,lighter wheels. I wonder if OZ Superturismo 17s clear your brakes? they are very light.
Thanx Chuck even tho Racerredi is on another level.. A lot of people were looking like what the hell is this doing at the track. I go for the fun of it, its a real rush. I need to have at least 18's cuz of the rear rotors size. I was looking into mayb buying some light 18" OZ Salinas and putting drags on them. But I really want to break 13's the way I am 1st.

Originally Posted by Stage3
Sweet run, dude. A little more tuning and you'll have yourself a real monster there. Don't worry about the weight ... the GS was never meant to go fast in a straight line ... it was meant to look good while going slow! You are entering a different realm!
Thanx man, your right. Its a good starting base for me, we'll see how it goes in time..
Originally Posted by Matt L
Nice run. That is a very respectable time for a 4300 lb car! Great job. I noticed one thing. In the burnout box, you lit up the tires. Next time, do not warm up your street tires like that. Believe it or not, your street tires will get better traction when cold. On the other hand, drag radials need to be roasted so they get sticky. However, street tires are a different rubber compound. When you warm up street tires like that, the rubber releases oils that make them more slippery, thereby losing traction. If you just do a run without warming up your street tires, you may shave off a few tenths and break into the 13's. Good luck on future runs. BTW, I have not seen too many Lexus cars at the track, so I commend you on your run. What was that other car you smoked?
Thanx a lot man. It was weird having this big car at the track than again I saw people there running caddy escalades and f150's, it was test and rune night so all kind of cars from very fast to meduim ato really slow, a scion xb was their doing 20's. As far as tires, in the video maybe it looks like I lit them but But I didn't, I drove around the water. Maybe it was teh car next to me doing that. I don't know what kind of car it was, I think it was a 3000gt or something like that.

Originally Posted by Lexis11
Very nicely done A. I gotta admit the car look ssick on the track, all shined up with the gettins. Not everyday you see a Gs300 screaming down the drag strip lol.
J its such a rush, when you come down next month we'll go to the track for fun..
Old 01-06-06, 11:25 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Very nice Blue!!!!!

Nearly a 2.5 sec improvement over the original motor is like driving a different car!

Plus, 14.2 is nothing to sneeze at especially with a 4000+ lb car!

Some tuning & tweaking and you 'll be one of the few guys with the show car qualities you have along with a 13 sec timeslip!
Thanx a lot man, a lot of people forget to bring that into the equation but the improvement from basically slightly modded 2jz-ge to slightly modded 2jz-gte considering its stock ecu's on both was a real nice surprise, its great to drive now and the power from a dead stop isn't much better than before but this car once its moving picks up so fast I love it, the other day I was going around 35-40 mph and a ford Lightning was flying up behind me and I slammed it and he couldn't catch me. It really wakes up from 30-90 mph. After its going it just takes off.

Originally Posted by jbrady
Nice run. I agree with most of the comments above. Launch is very important and anything off the 60ft time will give at least that and often 2 times that improvement at tracks end. So, dropping that 2.4 to a 2.2 would have that 14.27 at the very least a 14.07 and more likely a 13.8-13.9. That is VERY respectable for a 3 liter car weighing nearly 4400 pounds.

Speaking of the weight. Any diet plans? My best times were right at 4000 pounds (me included) in my LS. This is something to note for people wanting performance. Power to weight is the key. If you weigh more you need more power. If you weigh more parts must be stronger or they will break. Braking distance goes up. Cornering speeds go down.

Obviously owning an LS shows that I am not some fanatic about super light weight. However, this may make some re-think if that 200 pound stereo system is worth it or if a 50 pound system will sound good enough. Personally the sound of a happy engine is sweet to my ears. Heavy wheels are another. There is a wide range of weight in every size. Some 17" outweigh some 20s but the norm is opposite.

Keep tuning, keep practicing, keep trying new things. You have a very respectable running car with huge potential. Keep the shiny side up

Originally Posted by jbrady
BTW, your power calculates out to about 360 engine. Many calculators on the web claim this is rear wheel HP. Don't believe it. My car calculated to 306hp which makes sense. Claiming my car had 362 is rediculous (the RWHP suggestion). Equally, yours does not have 425... yet
Thanx a lot for the comments and advice. I don't really have diet plans to be honest, I actually have more fatening plans..LOL new trunk will weigh a little more I think. As far as dyno numbers I will dyno the car soon, I just haven't had a chance. Its probably in the range you mentioned since it basically a stock motor with only cams,pulley's added with stock ecu. I think the front mount and air we freed up with the down pipe and cat back will help with the numbers but you guys know that as soon as I do i'll post it up.
Old 01-06-06, 11:54 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bluelex
Thanx a lot for the comments and advice. I don't really have diet plans to be honest, I actually have more fatening plans..LOL new trunk will weigh a little more I think. As far as dyno numbers I will dyno the car soon, I just haven't had a chance. Its probably in the range you mentioned since it basically a stock motor with only cams,pulley's added with stock ecu. I think the front mount and air we freed up with the down pipe and cat back will help with the numbers but you guys know that as soon as I do i'll post it up.
Nice, I look forward to the numbers. The 360 is crank hp. I estimate your RWHP to be around 285-295
Old 01-06-06, 11:55 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by veritek
Congrats Adrian. Good to see another full on show car GS run at the track!!! I don't have any vid of my runs cuz I was the only Lexus my first time out. I went with a bunch of friends with 3SI's to a track day. You shoulda heard the announcer when I pulled up to the line with a fully kitted, custom painted GS on full chrome 20's, priceless!!!
Originally Posted by veritek
Btw, that 2nd reaction time can't be right?! Over 6 seconds?! The boost musta really kicked in afterwards to make up the time, eh? Top end powa, baby!!! Seriously, nice improvement over your N/A times. Most people who don't know will question the times (I know, cuz they questioned my times) , but just remind them of how much tonnage your pushin down the track!!!
Thanx man, sorry I missed you this year at Nopi but we'll hang out next year. You would know what its like to have such a heavy car with tons of mods and big wheels. My reaction time was a typo, it was .6 seconds not 6 seconds..LOL....
Old 01-06-06, 12:52 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adrian I heard some slight wheelspin at the start, next time lower your rpm's a little at launch, also turn off all electronics such as radio, headlights etc. parking lights are okay, see if this helps.

Quick Reply: Track run video.....