GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

1998 GS Personalized settings

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-06, 05:58 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 GS Personalized settings

I found this on this site: https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...iew/145/1/160/

Where it states there are several personalized settings for the 1998 GS. This is even stated in the owners manual. For example you can turn off the auto tilt up and away steering wheel.

Well I printed the PDF looked at all of the settings and made my decisions. Today I went to the dealer to ask to have this done and they said this wasn't an option until 2002 on the GS and that the Scan tool cannot do it.

I have found that the Forums usually have more knowledge that the dealership. So can you or can't you change the settings on a 1998 Lexus GS?

Thanks

Michael
Old 01-06-06, 06:18 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey Mike. The dealer is just plain wrong. I was able to have the dealer set several settings on my 98, although I don't remember one of the options being related to the steering wheel (I specifically remember them setting the doors to lock/unlock when the car was put in drive/park). The tech hooked up a small computer under the dash, and went through 10 or so settings that I could personalize. I believe that the 01+ GS's have many more personalized settings to choose from, but the 98s definitely have this. I'm pretty sure there are a few threads that specifically discuss the exact settings that can be customized for the 400s and 430s. Do a search for c-best and you'll find what you're looking for.

e
Old 01-06-06, 06:31 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Here's a few helpful links:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=c-best

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=c-best

Now that I'm thinking of it, on my 98, in addition to the doors locking/unlocking when putting the car in drive/park, I also had them adjust the c-best setting that controls the auto headlights coming on and off (it needed to be way too dark for them to come on).

Hope this all helps.
Old 01-06-06, 06:38 PM
SRK
Driver

I have a 98 and I had the dealer turn off the tilt away feature. There are lots of features all mentioned in the owner's manual that can be personalized.
Old 01-06-06, 09:21 PM
tone
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Hey Mike. The dealer is just plain wrong. I was able to have the dealer set several settings on my 98, although I don't remember one of the options being related to the steering wheel (I specifically remember them setting the doors to lock/unlock when the car was put in drive/park). The tech hooked up a small computer under the dash, and went through 10 or so settings that I could personalize. I believe that the 01+ GS's have many more personalized settings to choose from, but the 98s definitely have this. I'm pretty sure there are a few threads that specifically discuss the exact settings that can be customized for the 400s and 430s. Do a search for c-best and you'll find what you're looking for.

e

thats really interesting...ive always noticed other cars locking as soon as u shift from park... never happened to my car... do i need to take it to the dealer or is there a way i can make my car do this?
Old 01-06-06, 09:24 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tone
thats really interesting...ive always noticed other cars locking as soon as u shift from park... never happened to my car... do i need to take it to the dealer or is there a way i can make my car do this?
Unfortunately, you have to take it to the dealer. It would be nice if you could fool around with these settings yourself.
Old 01-06-06, 09:28 PM
tone
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately, you have to take it to the dealer. It would be nice if you could fool around with these settings yourself.
man that sucks, im probably looking at a few hundred to get this done huh, *throws fist in the air BASTIDS!
Old 01-06-06, 11:03 PM
Canyonero
Driver

Originally Posted by tone
man that sucks, im probably looking at a few hundred to get this done huh, *throws fist in the air BASTIDS!
If you're lucky, they might do it for free. If they do charge, it'll most likely be for a half hours work ~$45.
Old 01-07-06, 05:41 AM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IAGS400
I have found that the Forums usually have more knowledge that the dealership.
My gut instinct was right, you guys do know more than the dealer.

Originally Posted by SRK
I have a 98 and I had the dealer turn off the tilt away feature. There are lots of features all mentioned in the owner's manual that can be personalized.
I went back in and showed them the manual and the response was that it was a misprint or an option/idea that didn't happen.

Now I have to back again and explain to them that it is possible. I should print a copy of this thread and bring it with.

E-MAN - I did try a search, but I didn't find anything under GS, I just needed the right search parameters.

Thanks a lot everyone!!
Old 01-07-06, 06:17 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL,

Maybe we should start a Lexus Co-op and we can all put our money in and run it ourselves!! We would be the most knowlegeable techs in the country!!

Jonny
Old 01-07-06, 08:15 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

My dealership here does the programming for free. They also have this neat laminated card for all GS's explaining exactly what can be programmed through the fob. I went in asking if my car could be programmed to unlock all doors and turn on the inside light as soon as the key is turned to the off position or removed from the ignition. No can do on a 2001. As for the auto locking doors, mine happens as soon as the car is taken out of park.
Old 01-07-06, 08:44 AM
e-man
Pole Position

My gut instinct was right, you guys do know more than the dealer.

I went back in and showed them the manual and the response was that it was a misprint or an option/idea that didn't happen.

Now I have to back again and explain to them that it is possible. I should print a copy of this thread and bring it with.

E-MAN - I did try a search, but I didn't find anything under GS, I just needed the right search parameters.

Thanks a lot everyone!!
Mike -- why don't you do this. Have your dealership call McGrath Lexus in Westmont. Their number is (630) 323-5600. Have them ask for the head tech, Mike Ludwig. He'll be able to tell them exactly what to do. He did it a few times on my 98.
Old 01-07-06, 09:23 AM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Mike -- why don't you do this. Have your dealership call McGrath Lexus in Westmont. Their number is (630) 323-5600. Have them ask for the head tech, Mike Ludwig. He'll be able to tell them exactly what to do. He did it a few times on my 98.
LOL- How do you think they would respond when I tell them to call another Lexus Dealership just so they can teach them how to do it?

I'm just going to go back in and if they try and say it won't work, I'll ask them to prove it to me. A good dealership would be willing to accept the customer might be right. I will get this done, I also now have ammunition to get this done for free if other Lexus dealerships are doing it for free.

I didn't see anywhere about auto locking of the doors. I do see about auto unlocking. My wife prefers how our truck works. Auto locks at 5 mph and unlocks in park. I see a the ability for the car to auto unlock when put in park, but not an auto lock. Is this possible?

Michael
Old 01-07-06, 09:35 AM
e-man
Pole Position

LOL- How do you think they would respond when I tell them to call another Lexus Dealership just so they can teach them how to do it?

I'm just going to go back in and if they try and say it won't work, I'll ask them to prove it to me. A good dealership would be willing to accept the customer might be right. I will get this done, I also now have ammunition to get this done for free if other Lexus dealerships are doing it for free.

I didn't see anywhere about auto locking of the doors. I do see about auto unlocking. My wife prefers how our truck works. Auto locks at 5 mph and unlocks in park. I see a the ability for the car to auto unlock when put in park, but not an auto lock. Is this possible?

Michael
You have a point there (about telling them to call my dealer).

As for the specific features that are available, the more I think about it, you might be right about auto-locking. It may have only been auto-unlocking. I had it turned on only for a month or so, but I didn't like the fact that the doors automatically unlocked when I had my kids in the back seat, so I had them turn it off. I don't recall the steering wheel tilt feature being one of the programmable features. I know the auto-headlight sensitivity setting is in there, as well as a couple of other things. I know that there are definitely more personalized settings on the 01+ models. I would think this would be enough for your dealer to give it a second thought.
Old 01-07-06, 03:53 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice point E-man

Quick Reply: 1998 GS Personalized settings