GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Is this a door actuator problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-06, 09:52 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is this a door actuator problem UPDATED

I have searched and come up empty. I am able to arm and disarm the alarm with the remote, but when I lock, the rear passenger door can still be opened. I took the door panel off and inspected. The cable for the lock mechanism was bent. I straightened it and it is still not locking the door. Is this a malfunctioning actuator?

Last edited by STONER; 01-14-06 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-07-06, 12:02 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same problem...all the other doors lock except the rear drivers side, so I have to lock it manually from inside, and then use the remote to lock all the other doors. Wasnt sure myself it was an actuator problem, but just assumed it was after reading the posts...so I ordered the actuator yesterday from Darrel at Sewell Lexus. Hopefully that will be the fix Im looking for....
Old 01-07-06, 12:15 PM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

what was the $ damage on the actuator? And does anyone have a photo or diagram of the actuator itself?
Old 01-07-06, 12:58 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Yes it sounds like the infamous door lock actuator problem that Lexus has not adressed on several of its models. I have the same problem too and even though I was under my mileage warranty but over the time warranty by a few months Lexus refused to pay to fix this known design flaw or even help out with bill. The worst part is the redicously high cost they charge for the part and to get it fixed. I was quoted $289 just for the part at the local lexus dealer and he said another $250-$300 to install just a peice to for a single power door unlock. This has happend to a couple people I know with Lexus vehicles and the guy at the Lexus dealer said it was fairly common. I am really dissapointed that Lexus has not issued a TSB or offer to fix it for free after warranty or offer a warranty extension for the part and is just making Lexus owners pay over $500 dollars for their known design flaw/defect. There is a popular Toyota dealership that generally has pretty low prices that you could try to order the part from. I think it is Carson Toyota. I am not sure how to do it myself because I refuse to pay $289 just for the part, but from reading other posts about this it is pretty hard to do and requires taking off the interior door assembley, I think they recommend you lower your window first before doing it. You may be able to get the part from a junkyard or salvage yard for alot less.
Old 01-07-06, 01:18 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

will this help?
full size in gallery.

Old 01-07-06, 04:42 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STONER
what was the $ damage on the actuator? And does anyone have a photo or diagram of the actuator itself?
I believe i paid $189 thru Sewell Lexus, which is one of our approved CL vendors,...this includes the 10% discount we get from them as well. I tried to get a quote from Carson Toyota, also a CL vendor, but as I hadnt heard back from them, I went through Sewell.....its always good to support out vendors
Old 01-07-06, 06:00 PM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Chuck for the diagram. I think I'll just take my valuables inside for the time being. Plus, I'm insured. I will have to take a close look to see if I can fix the problem using the pictures. The sheath for cable that attaches to the lock mechanism has some threads, so I may be able to attach something to hold it there (which seems to be the problem). I'm not quite ready to spend the 200.
Old 01-12-06, 07:19 PM
Shnur
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question same actuator problem on 99 GS400

yeah I got the same problem with my driver door. Actuator died on me... lexus wants $400CAD for the part.
Anyone have any idea where I can get the part in Canada ? or order online somewhere?

thanks!
Old 01-12-06, 10:09 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

I changed my front passenger actuator assembly myself in less than an hour in my garage. I ordered the part from Carson Toyota, and drove by to pick it up. There was not a question as to whether I would install it myself. It is a DIY for those of us who like to install stuff ourselves.

IF you follow the manual instructions step-by-step, you will DEFINITELY take off too much stuff. All of these actuator instructions show removal of the outer door trim and the glass, but neither have to be removed.

Once the inside trim and panel are removed, the actuators can be accessed from the inside. I have big hands, and I was still able to do this in less than an hour.

Good luck!
Old 01-13-06, 05:54 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Default question

Does the actuator include the cables to the handle release and the locking mechanism?

I think that's where my problem is. The cables themselves seem to be operating, it's the attachment to the handle that is screwed up.
Old 01-13-06, 06:06 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

I've got a similar problem. At first I though it may be related to heat since it started happening in the summer. I've got the same issue this winter.

One thing I notice is after I unlock the doors remotely (or by key) all doors will lock if I wait several minutes. I'm wondering if maybe regreasing will help. It's as though parts are moving properly and take time to set.

I haven't removed the door panel to inpect, but maybe someone else could elaborate on any preventive maintenance.
Old 01-13-06, 06:20 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

I think all GS's will automatically lock after you unlock using the remote (and don't open the door).
Security feature I presume.
Old 01-13-06, 06:23 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

I think all GS's will automatically lock after you unlock using the remote (and don't open the door).
Not just GS's, my wife's RX does this too. I think it waits 20-30 seconds then re-locks the doors if you don't open one within that time frame.
Old 01-13-06, 06:46 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Shoot...not what I meant. I haven't noticed any auto-relocking on my GS.

What I meant was..I too have the problem with a rear door not locking and what I noticed is this:
- It doesn't lock (by key or remote) if I try soon after unlocking the doors.
- It DOES lock (by key or remote) if I try serveral minutes after unlocking the doors.

I'm wondering if any preventive maintenance such as greasing can help our problems since it seems as though something is sticking and takes a while to set.
Old 01-13-06, 09:30 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Yes,
The actuator includes EVERYTHING you need to complete the job. Many times the cables ARE the problem, so that is why I am glad new ones come with the assembly. No adjustments are needed...just plug and pray....I mean PLAY!

Quick Reply: Is this a door actuator problem