GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Designing a GS300 audio system: advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-06, 10:39 AM
mhsu408
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Designing a GS300 audio system: advice needed

This is what I plan on doing:

- Head Unit: Eclipse AVN 2454
- Subs: (2) Dual 12" 4 Ohm Alpine Type R subs (RMS - 500W ; peak power - 1500 W)
- Amp: HiFonics BX1605D ((1100x1 @ 2 Ohm/1600x1 @ 1 Ohm)

Question:
What component speakers do you guys recommend to replace the factory ones on a 2000 GS300? I want good sound quality as well as high tolerance (so they don't blow out).

Also, do I need a separate amp to power the component speakers, or will my new headunit be able to do that? Or should I have gotten a bigger amp to begin with to power both the subs and the amp (I wonder if people even do this, or do they always buy a separate amp for the speakers and a separate one for the woofers?)?
Old 01-08-06, 10:55 AM
silverone
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are headed in the right direction with your headunit and subs. you will defintely need an amp for your inside speakers, any components that you want to keep up with your subs will need power. i've ran a few different sets and been very happy with both diamond audio and mb quart. i hear great things about focal, but don't have any personal experience with them. i'm sure their are some people on here that do so hopefully they'll post some replies. but whatever you do don't go cheap. you're going to have to spend a little, but it will be well worth it. that's where the true music comes from. as far as power for those, make sure to match the r.m.s. power output of the amp to the r.m.s. power handling of the speaker. this will ensure you will get enough power to the speaker so you can get their full potential. on amps i've ran alpine v-12, diamond audio. both have been great amps lots of power and very clean. one last thing if you want to really improve the sound with whatever setup you do. buy some dynamat and do all four doors, and the trunk. it really makes a huge difference in sound and plus it cuts down on those rattles!!! hope this helps
Old 01-08-06, 07:51 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

Well, they said I would get the modding fever and I got it. I decided to replace the factory speakers and was going to go with something decent but for performance and the fact it did not cost much more and based on input from other ClubLexus.com members, I decided to purchase Polk Audio DB6500 component speakers for the front and Polk Audio DB650 coaxials for the rear. Both are 6½" and will fit with custom made baffles. These will be powered from a 400w 4 channel amp. I figured as long as I was going to have everything apart, I would change the speaker wire to twisted 12 guage and add sound deadening matting. Toys are on the way and I will post pics when done. Since I only have weekends available to do the install, it will probably take me 2 weekends but I will get it done.

My purchases came from my favorite source, ebay but these speakers are available at Crutchfield as well.

Good luck on your shopping.
Old 01-08-06, 08:03 PM
LEXO
Driver

Be sure to DYNOMAT your trunk!!
Old 01-08-06, 08:44 PM
mhsu408
Rookie

This is getting more expensive every post I do... or maybe I should think the system I create is going to be better after every post I do

For the dynamat, I am looking at the following online site:

http://www.ikesound.com/category-category_id/125

I have no idea which ones I need to order for my setup I mentioned above. Any guidance would be appreciated on which ones I should buy. I don't want to buy too much, to little... or even worse the wrong sizes.
Old 01-08-06, 08:55 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

I purchased FatMat. About $1.00 per square foot. While many said Dynamat was better and you should not skimp, there were many that said it was just as good for much less money. I bought FatMat in bulk and plan to cut it to what I need.

The Polk Audio speakers were $99 for the DB6500 components and $49 for the DB650 coaxials. Not too much for my budget for that kind of performance even though shipping cost me about $20 for each pair. Get the info on these models at Crutchfield including a manual download and read comments from customers who bought each model. Try Dynaudio for $500 per pair plus.
Old 01-08-06, 09:35 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U should also consider Dynaudio speakers.
Old 01-09-06, 06:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mhsu408
This is getting more expensive every post I do... or maybe I should think the system I create is going to be better after every post I do

For the dynamat, I am looking at the following online site:

http://www.ikesound.com/category-category_id/125

I have no idea which ones I need to order for my setup I mentioned above. Any guidance would be appreciated on which ones I should buy. I don't want to buy too much, to little... or even worse the wrong sizes.

Yes, car audio does began to get expensive because you'll feel the urge to get something better each time.

I wouldn't recommend buying from ikesound.com. I've dealt with them twice and both times they were horrible. One of those transaction is still occurring right now as I am fighting with them to get my stuff corrected.