GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Condensation is out of control !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-06, 02:22 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardaway33
I have condinsation.... it looks like the inside of my shower doors after a hot one! I mean that there is water droplets inside of the housing! This can't be normal? I need to take some pics.
sorry for prying but did you try turning your headlights on like i suggested?

The heat from the headlights is enough to remove the condensation...

the condensation will buildup and be there but just turn your headlights on and it'll all disappear..

plus.. it's been well established that your GS looks 100times cooler with the headlights and the fogs on...
Old 01-12-06, 08:04 PM
Hardaway33
Rookie

I always have my headlights on... I rarely turn them off even in the daytime, and the condensation only slightly disappears. It never leaves the turn signal and the bottom of the headlight housing though! I'll try to snap off some pics tomorrow.
Old 01-13-06, 12:56 AM
mr. aristo
Lead Lap

i have the exact same problems.. wondering how hard it is to take it apart and re-seal
Old 01-13-06, 01:18 PM
Hardaway33
Rookie

Here are some pics of the condensation
that I was talking about. Doesn't it look like the inside
of a shower? Check the next pic

Last edited by Hardaway33; 01-13-06 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-13-06, 01:24 PM
Hardaway33
Rookie

Sorry of the big pics but I wanted it to be clear enough to see.
My lights have been on my entire drive home from work (about 15-20 minutes),
and they still look like this! I just also noticed that the
chrome on the housing is starting to buckle?
What is it and how do I stop it?

Old 01-14-06, 04:52 AM
Hardaway33
Rookie

Is the condensation supposted to be this bad?
Old 01-14-06, 05:09 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Is the condensation supposted to be this bad?
No and yes. There shouldn't be any, but this is a known problem with our cars that has never had a proper fix. They can be disassembled, cleaned and resealed but it's not an easy task. I've read that the oven technique is quite tricky.
Old 01-14-06, 08:32 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are they hids? if not, you can find housings in good shape for pretty cheap. that would be your best bet. I'd say that light is pretty much done...
Old 01-14-06, 08:37 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there should be no condensation at all, period! if there is condensation, it should dissapear in a few hours.

from looking at your pictures, your lights has major condensation issues with the amount of water in your lights.

if i were you, i would change them out for some new or used ones that don't have this problem. since you chrome material is getting bad, it's not worth opening and resealing them.

place a wtb ad on the classifieds and someone may be able to help you.
Old 01-14-06, 07:40 PM
Hardaway33
Rookie

^^^ That's not good news, and I was afraid that someone might say that! I'm sure that the headlights cost a grip from the dealer or classifieds, right?
Old 01-15-06, 08:54 AM
Hardaway33
Rookie

How much do new GS400 (HID) headlights go for anyway?
Old 11-18-06, 07:19 PM
enjun
Driver School Candidate

took my GS to the dealer Friday, oil change, etc they washed the car for free and now my driver side light looks like the picture posted earler, first time this happened, but still under warrenty, what do I do!
Old 11-18-06, 07:52 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ That's not good news, and I was afraid that someone might say that! I'm sure that the headlights cost a grip from the dealer or classifieds, right?

hey man- im from upstate NY and let me tell you you are definitely not alone with this problem... my headlights right now are just as bad as yours if not WORSE, on BOTH sides. and to make matters even better the problem originally occurred with my first set of headlights (the all chrome no tint ones) that came on the car... i knew there was no easy fix at that time so i jumped on a set of "newer" style green tint housings...yeah, they looked real sweet for about a week until i washed my car.. same deal..maybe even worse this time around with the new set. the most annoying thing is is that that whole "leave your headlights on itll go away" solution is not going to fix your problem. i have taken 8 hour drives with my headlights on the whole time and the water still doesnt go away. theres NOTHING you can do about it if you dont plan on taking your lights apart and doing some modding...and even then now that you took them apart you run the risk of creating MORE problems for yourself if you dont seal them atLEAST as good as they were from the factory!! the problem is even further compounded if you have HIDs. what little heat MAY have been created with standard halogen lights being left on to get rid of the moisture inside the light isnt even available to you with the hid bulbs. they just dont burn NEARLY as hot as standard bulbs do in those housings... people can say what they want about this to disagree with me but i know how it is, ive been battling the condensation problem for the past two years... i pretty much gave up when i neared the end of my warranty period (had about 2 weeks left on a two year extended thru the lex dealer), called the dealer, got some huge run around about the whole thing and told me i had to drive back to the dealer where i BOUGHT the car which was 3 hours away even though the dealer i wanted to go see was only an hour.. i knew he was full of ****..and it was confirmed when he finally gave in and offered me an appointment exactly one week after my warranty would have already been expired... hows that for the never ending pursuit of customer satisfaction.. lol, YEAH RIGHT. anyway, long story short, walk outside right now and theres prob enough water in my headlights if you gather up all the condensation in the four housings to get a little eco system going for a goldfish. over the next few months im going to give the sport design housings a shot, see how they hold up, and in the process take the green tint housings i have now apart and try to re seal them and clean them up...if they hold up the sport design housings will be for sale unless i become completely attached to them... they are pretty expensive... i guess well see
Old 11-19-06, 12:51 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

hey,

my headlights have had condensation in them twice already. both times i would just take out the bulbs at night and let it air dry. after a few days all the condensation is gone. if no water marks are left inside the houseing/lens then you're set. if there is, i guess you still have to take them apart to clean.

given that this is a short term fix, you might also want to slicone the sealed edges. let us know how it goes.

vic
Old 08-20-07, 05:43 PM
R.DUB
Driver

There has to be a quick DIY for this issue... Anyone else?

Quick Reply: Condensation is out of control !!!