GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Buying aftermarket parts in Japan

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-01 | 11:54 AM
dru
Driver

I was flipping through the Aristo ed. of HyperREV and w/ all of the suggested retail prices that the Japanese companies list, are these prices that they actually go by, or is it like here in the US, where the MSRP prices are really high, and we actually end up paying approx. 70-80% of the MSRP (I think gs4will might have mentioned something about this before)? If that's the case, then if we all took a fantasy trip to Japan to pick up all the stuff we've dreamed of for our GS's and brought them back ourselves (no customs or shipping fees) , would we be expecting to pay about 70-80% of the suggested retail price? I figure some of our CL members must have some experience w/ this. Thanks.

Andrew
Old 08-09-01 | 12:15 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

dru,

in this day and age, no one pays msrp(well, 95% of the time anyway). what you just proposed has been discussed by both manaray and i long time ago. our BIG plan is to fly to tokyo for vacation, stop by tokyo auto salon show, and grab as much stuff as we can at the same time. the only problem i see is the large item such as the body kit and wheels.

this is what you do: buy several magazines such as OPTIONs, OPTIONS 2, auto fashions, and VIP cars. read thru them and pick out few stores that are close to where you will be staying. get a map for help too. inside those ads, you will find many goodies are sold at 20-40% off retail listed prices. but you still do need to pay 5% sales tax if you shop there though as a visitor.

some cl guys have friends and relatives in japan, and have been getting items this way. one thing to keep in mind is that you do not go there just to get stuff. you plan a trip to visit japan, and at the same time get some goodies for your car, this is the way to go. but if you arrive at the narita/haneda airport w/say a body kit and 4 wheels, chances are the air line co will charge you some excess baggage handling. as far s us custom, even if they want to charge you some duty, it is really no big deal, as long as they are for personal use. it is all in the common sense.

with the exchange rate in favor of US$, i know where i will be going for vacation this year.

william
Old 08-09-01 | 02:35 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

I follow Option and Option 2 every month.

I've found out: ELECTRONIC PARTS depreciate in retail value very fast.

Something new comes out. 2 months later a few stores will have it on VERY LOW special prices.

So If I make another trip this time I'll BE SURE bring some parts back with me (Last time I went, darn I didn't buy anything, just cruised.)
Old 08-09-01 | 04:15 PM
dru
Driver

With so many CL members going to Japan sometime in the near future, we should have a CL Meet w/ an Aristo club in Japan, they can bring out their v300's and we can bring pictures of our cars, and in the meantime try to understand one another....
Old 08-09-01 | 08:07 PM
RacingAristo

Most likely I will go to Japan this winter again. Last time I enjoyed hot spring, sushi rolls, and hot sake, and totally forgot about the car parts.

Anyone else is coming?

One question, will airline ship the bodykit with how much extra charges? Thanks!
Old 08-09-01 | 08:26 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

RA,

man, i told you keep it light on the sake...you forgot the parts?:eek:

for the body kit shipping, it all depends on what class you fly, how much other things you have, and how much the lady at the counter likes you. make sure you complement how good she looked that day. get the point?

will
Old 08-09-01 | 08:44 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by RacingAristo
Most likely I will go to Japan this winter again. Last time I enjoyed hot spring, sushi rolls, and hot sake, and totally forgot about the car parts.

Anyone else is coming?

One question, will airline ship the bodykit with how much extra charges? Thanks!

sake bottle and Toro sashima on a bamboo boat, floating on the hot spring water..... OOHOOOHHHH!~~~!!!

Wait i'm not suppose to drink.
Old 08-09-01 | 08:57 PM
RacingAristo

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
sake bottle and Toro sashima on a bamboo boat, floating on the hot spring water..... OOHOOOHHHH!~~~!!!
How did you know that? Did you see me again? That is what I call LIFE!

<drool> Toro....
Old 08-09-01 | 09:57 PM
wolfy187
Pole Position

Default OH MAN DOES THAT SOUND GOOD

anyone want to meet up for some sushi in LA..i will be back in LA for a week on the 19th - 26th

Arthur
Old 08-10-01 | 02:30 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Will, I'm already packed...

Hmmm, I'm still working to get pricing from a few importers...it's a tough process since they are hunting down the best prices...hopefully, I can get something going...soon...
Old 08-10-01 | 10:29 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

manaray,

you are packed? what do you mean? tokyo custom would not allow you to carry one of your ammo, you know? JK.

i really hope that you can come thru w/the yoour import deal. but a trip to japan is nonetheless awesoem for all of us.

will
Old 08-10-01 | 02:02 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Manaray you're gonna go Nippon?

Originally posted by gs4will
manaray,

you are packed? what do you mean? tokyo custom would not allow you to carry one of your ammo, you know? JK.
Take the plane to Okinawa, then use the sea route and enter Honshu from Osaka. Least inspected port.
Old 08-10-01 | 04:43 PM
RacingAristo

As ya'll can see, Ray has been doing that for quite a while. JK.
Old 08-10-01 | 05:26 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

main reason is to drop by Okinawa and get some banana juice (yes Banana has juice!)

Also save a buck (or two) for airport service charge
Old 08-10-01 | 05:33 PM
RacingAristo

banana juice? I thought banana has oil? Anyhow~ How about we ask a travel agent to form a "ClubLexus Japanese Crazy Shopping Tour"? We will only stop at car shops, shows, and sushi restaurants? haha.

Quick Reply: Buying aftermarket parts in Japan