GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Quick ball joint/tie-rod question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-06 | 10:07 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ivesGS400
I know this belongs in the maintenance forum but right now there are 5 people browsing there and 72 browsing here and I need kind of a quick reply.

I took the 98 GS400 in for balance and alignment because it was shaking bad. The guy looked at it and said the ball joints were bad. I have no problem replacing these because I know they're at least 80,000 miles old and I have the bigger rims, lowered suspension, etc.

I search some recent threads and frankly don't understand a whole lot. But it seems like people have replaced tie-rods when doing ball joints. So would it be wise to do both of these parts at the same time? I also got a little confused with the upper/lower ball joint and inner/outer tie-rod talk.

From what I guessed, I'm thinking maybe I should do lower ball joints and inner tie-rods? Does this sound right. Also, anyone do this recently and maybe have a figure I could expect to pay?

Thanks
bro sorry for the late reply but heres my strong suggestion

at 80k change lower ball joints , change outer tie rod ends these 2 items are inexpensive and work in tandem with each other..

next , you really should consider getting the daizen bushing kit.. 90% of the vibration shimmy stuff posted here is from the rubber bushings within the castor/strut rod arm.. remember , this is still a lexus and it was purpose built for luxury with a small amount of handling

next up is the lower control arms , the bushing within this arm is of such a poor design for lower cars its pathectic.. a inner and outer metal sleeve surround by soft rubber, hardly good for big wheels and a firm susp.. i took my time a examined the merits of oem stuff and compared it to the daizen stuff and winner is dazien for smooth perf engineered stuff that fit like oem

i know doing the dazien stuff might be alittle pricey but its a one shot deal that will yield the enjoyment of driving to 60mph and beyond without dealing with shaking wheels and stuff not to mention handling will blow you away

also guys as a bonus i had the car realigned yesterday after dropping in my new daizen control arms and i got my amber setting closer to spec with the new bushing .. i am about 1/2 gap up front so its pretty lowand my camber used to be -1.2 to -1.4 yesterday -1.0 of camber which is perfect to make the gs track truer but yet handle even nicer
Old 09-03-09 | 05:32 PM
Champstar
Pit Crew

do we share the same tie rods with any other vehicle
i called autozone advanced and orielys and none of them have any instock

and i need one asap
Old 09-05-09 | 01:10 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

way to pull up a 3 year old post but check the buy and sell i am sure there is a set.
Otherwise order from a dealer.