GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Quick ball joint/tie-rod question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-06, 04:00 PM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick ball joint/tie-rod question

I know this belongs in the maintenance forum but right now there are 5 people browsing there and 72 browsing here and I need kind of a quick reply.

I took the 98 GS400 in for balance and alignment because it was shaking bad. The guy looked at it and said the ball joints were bad. I have no problem replacing these because I know they're at least 80,000 miles old and I have the bigger rims, lowered suspension, etc.

I search some recent threads and frankly don't understand a whole lot. But it seems like people have replaced tie-rods when doing ball joints. So would it be wise to do both of these parts at the same time? I also got a little confused with the upper/lower ball joint and inner/outer tie-rod talk.

From what I guessed, I'm thinking maybe I should do lower ball joints and inner tie-rods? Does this sound right. Also, anyone do this recently and maybe have a figure I could expect to pay?

Thanks
Old 01-12-06, 04:14 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ivesGS400
I know this belongs in the maintenance forum but right now there are 5 people browsing there and 72 browsing here and I need kind of a quick reply.

I took the 98 GS400 in for balance and alignment because it was shaking bad. The guy looked at it and said the ball joints were bad. I have no problem replacing these because I know they're at least 80,000 miles old and I have the bigger rims, lowered suspension, etc.

I search some recent threads and frankly don't understand a whole lot. But it seems like people have replaced tie-rods when doing ball joints. So would it be wise to do both of these parts at the same time? I also got a little confused with the upper/lower ball joint and inner/outer tie-rod talk.

From what I guessed, I'm thinking maybe I should do lower ball joints and inner tie-rods? Does this sound right. Also, anyone do this recently and maybe have a figure I could expect to pay?

Thanks
You need to replace:

1. Lower ball joints
2. outer tie rods, if they need to be replaced- being at 80K+ you might have to do both at once since alignment is required when you do either one #1 or #2 above
Now Have Fun
Old 01-12-06, 04:26 PM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

Default Cost?

For what it's worth, I had both Lower control arm ball joints replaced.

Cost was 115. for the part per side and $75 for labor on both. 230. + 75= $305

Hope this helps and hope i wasn't jacked-

Doug
Old 01-12-06, 04:28 PM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

PS-after install be sure to get a new alignment because you will need the readjustment to insure proper tire wear-

D
Old 01-12-06, 04:36 PM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

FYI - The guy said he inspected the tie-rods and they were fine. I was going to do them anyway but he insisted he checked them and they were good. For the 2 ball joints they are wanting $152.18, 2 hours labor at $60 per hour, I have a feeling this could be done in an hour or less but that's "what the book says" and then $45 for alignment. Grand total with tax is $343.51. Sounds kind of high but I'm the furthest from a car mechanic I could possibly be!

Any other comments before I call them back and say "go ahead"?
Old 01-12-06, 04:40 PM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

Sounds pretty good to me. Was I overcharged for my ball joints at 115 ea my install was 75 for both.

Good luck, the car will feel "tighter" too which is a bonus-

D
Old 01-12-06, 04:44 PM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

I think you were overcharged on the part I just got off the phone with a guy at Carson Toyota and they have them in stock for $61 each!! He said it would be about $12 to ship to me up in Washington. But you did save $45 over my install price

Thanks for the quick responses guys!
Old 01-12-06, 04:45 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

FYI - The guy said he inspected the tie-rods and they were fine. I was going to do them anyway but he insisted he checked them and they were good. For the 2 ball joints they are wanting $152.18, 2 hours labor at $60 per hour, I have a feeling this could be done in an hour or less but that's "what the book says" and then $45 for alignment. Grand total with tax is $343.51. Sounds kind of high but I'm the furthest from a car mechanic I could possibly be!

Any other comments before I call them back and say "go ahead"?
You can get OEM ball joints from Carsons toyota for about $61.00 each + $20.00 shipping and outer tie rods from ALLEURASIANAUTOPARTS.COM for about $30.00 each, free shipping on orders over $50.00 bucks.
Outer tie rods are made in Japan and are A+ quality
Get your parts on your own and pay for labor only, you'll save money
Old 01-12-06, 04:55 PM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

True about the get the parts yourself and just pay labor statement. But around here, most shops, including the one I'm going to, don't let you bring in parts. In other words, they have to order them. I know that it's because this way they can mark them up. But for me, it only cost $18 more to let them order the part. And since I've used this shop a few times, they treat me well and slide a few deals/discounts my way once and a while
Old 01-12-06, 05:04 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

True about the get the parts yourself and just pay labor statement. But around here, most shops, including the one I'm going to, don't let you bring in parts. In other words, they have to order them. I know that it's because this way they can mark them up. But for me, it only cost $18 more to let them order the part. And since I've used this shop a few times, they treat me well and slide a few deals/discounts my way once and a while

Cool, i was trying save you some greens,
Old 01-12-06, 07:03 PM
FuzzyMD
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LEXSOOS
You need to replace:

1. Lower ball joints
2. outer tie rods, if they need to be replaced- being at 80K+ you might have to do both at once since alignment is required when you do either one #1 or #2 above
Now Have Fun
balljoint replacement shouldn't require alignment, I swapped out one of the balljoint myself last week, non of the steps affect alignment settings

now on the tie-rods, if your mechanic mark the thread of the inner tie-rod before he swap out the outer tie-rod(which is what you want to have ut replaced, outer tie-rods wear much quicker then ineers) then it should pretty much return to the alignment spec that prior to the installation, although it would not be a bad idea to have the alignment done with tie-rods installtion

reference:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=ball+joints
Old 01-12-06, 07:53 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Well i agree ordering them from Carson or another parts website to get them cheaper.. There was a DIY on the ball joints and tie rods with pics and everything.. It looks very infornmative...

Now as far as suspension goes.... A memeber on here lexforlife has replaced just about every front suspension piece there is... And he did it all in his garage... He's very knowledgable in this area and i feel that he could help.... Good Luck....
Old 01-13-06, 12:29 AM
redbaron
Pole Position

Default No alignment necessary

If all you are replacing is the ball joint, an alignment is not necessary.
I also had the ball joint which I ordered from carson toyota for $62.00 and had my mechanic install it for $35.00. It only takes about 1 hour per side max.

b
Old 01-13-06, 09:31 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by redbaron
If all you are replacing is the ball joint, an alignment is not necessary.
I also had the ball joint which I ordered from carson toyota for $62.00 and had my mechanic install it for $35.00. It only takes about 1 hour per side max.

b

I don't agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is your alignment settings the same with worn ball joints and brand new?, i don't think so....
Check with your local alignment shop, than you'll know what i'm talking about, steering wheel might not indicate any changes after you get job done.
In order to prove i'm right, you have to spend $120.00, do two alignment attempts
1st before replacing ball joints and 2nd after,

Last edited by LEXSOOS; 01-13-06 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-13-06, 09:57 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

alignment after a simple ball joint should not be neessary unless your balljoint is either broken or completely shot.. when disconnecting the tie rod end care must be taken not to spin the end or you will thrown your toe out.. ball joint mounts under the steering knucle , lower control arm mounts to steering knuckle if joint is busted you will know just by looking at your tire looking from the front of car , the wheel will have mad neg camber (trust me i know i have busted a brand new balljoint under heavy braking)

i have changed ball joints a few times already with no alignment needed

Quick Reply: Quick ball joint/tie-rod question