GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

A6-2.7T / 530i / TL-S / GS300 ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-01, 03:13 PM
12E

hi, I'm about to get a new car, and I can't decide which to get
Here are a list of choices I have in mind.

Acura TL-S
Audi A6 2.7T (2002)
BMW 530i
Lexus GS300

The car I'm getting will have to be an automatic (so my fiancee can drive it too). To be honest, I don't think I'll be getting the GS300 ( I test drived it...I find it a little dull, maybe you can change my mind ) GS430 is too rich for my blood...

I've been reading the Acura-TL.com forum too, alot of them favors their TL-S over the GS300 while they all agree that they are no match to the GS430...

Any and all your opinion would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-09-01, 03:42 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a safe bet to get anything other than a Lexus, ask anyone on the Bimmer, Acura or Audi boards. Our cars are slow, overpriced, outdated, and we all have low self-esteem, but hey, can you blame us ??!! Our cars suck, and we're stuck with them, since they have zero resale value. (Very thick sarcasm).
Old 08-09-01, 04:31 PM
ming 2.7T
Driver

Huge range of price.
Acura Tl-S ~33k
A6 40k plus
530 40k plus
GS300 39-41k
interior room - A6,,GS??
interior looks - A6 has the slight edge
Exterior looks- 530
Peformance(automatics) Straight line
TL-S Tie 1st maybe slight edge
A6 Tie 1st
530 Third
GS fourth
Audi has AWD. It maybe the best all around/all weather performer in its price range.

BMW /Audi have all inclusive warranties. All service is inclusive, including brakes, brake pads, wipers,,,, not tires.
Lexus ??
Acura does not

Depends on you your needs. DO you live in warm sunny area, or do you need the all weather capabilites of the Audi Quattro? DO you need more room?
Resale goes to BMW, then Lexus then audi/acura

TL-S comes in at a good price is you wish to save a buck or two.

All the cars listed are very nice. Again it depends on your needs.
Old 08-09-01, 04:41 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the tls are nice if your budget is less than $35k. however, spending over $30k for a front wheel drive car is not my taste.

if you are looking at both the audi(love the qtro), and 530s, then gs430 is def within your range. the 530s have so many options, when you add them up, it is not worth it the money. i ma not sure the exact pricing on the 530s, but my neighbor spend $44k+tax on a 528i last year, no navigation btw. at this price, i would rather get a premium pkg w/factory non-chrome 17s, gs430 at $45100+fees.

audis are not bad, the 01s are selling at discont too. but the inside is too small for me. 2.7T has the power and torque. but its resale value is bad. bottom line: i like the v-8 power and reliablity of GS.

you are in the bay area, so i am not sure how are the current prices up there. down here, BIG discounts on the gs430s.
i am not quite clear what you meant by dull. is it the ride being too soft? if so, it is a easy fix up. to me , lex represenst the best $$$ value for my hard earn $$$. btw, i have owned 740i before, and will be picking up my 4th lex this month.

will
Old 08-09-01, 04:58 PM
whitediamond
Pole Position

Default Simple

All of those cars listed are nice (cept the Audi) and you cannot go wrong with any of those choices.

Out of those listed, the TL-S or GS300 would be my choice

The TL-S does not even come close to compare to the GS in terms of overall construction and solidity (close the hood on both and you will see), but for the money you get alot and in fact I almost got one except the dealer could not sell any due to it's 3rd safety recall that grounded all dealer cars. I said, "see ya".

Actually a GS300 is out of a TLS league. A IS300 is in the same league but you probably have already ruled that out.

Audi-? Slightly bigger Passat, small inside, mediocre build quality/reliability. Depreciates faster then a Pacer. Stay clear of Audi's.

BMW-Like Will said above, by the time you factor in options such as windshield,round tires, door handles, and a 200k warranty, that Bimmer will be in the GS430 neighborhood.

But then....you could get a certified pre-owned GS400 that will still be more reliable and solid then the above-and you will have a legendary V8 that kicks ***.

Old 08-09-01, 07:03 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Even thou I love my Lexus vehicles out of that list the only choice is the TL-S in my humble but honest opinion.. No offence to GS300 owners but bang for the buck just isn't there for me when compared to the TL-S on performance.. However if performance isn't high on your list of wants and posh solid interior with an exterior that truly gets noticed is what you want then get the GS300..

The Audi is a high maintenance vehicle but the Quattro is by far one of the best AWD platforms on the market today..

The 530 is a waste of money when you add up all the interior options/HID to make it comparable to the GS300 but drivability wise right out the box it is a better vehicle.. Honestly I would get the 330i instead..

Maybe list 5 most important things that meet your needs and we can give you an honest opinion to your question..

Old 08-09-01, 08:40 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by ming 2.7T

interior room - A6,,GS??
interior looks - A6 has the slight edge
Exterior looks- 530
Peformance(automatics) Straight line
TL-S Tie 1st maybe slight edge
A6 Tie 1st
530 Third
GS fourth
Audi has AWD. It maybe the best all around/all weather performer in its price range.

Resale goes to BMW, then Lexus then audi/acura

TL-S comes in at a good price is you wish to save a buck or two.

All the cars listed are very nice. Again it depends on your needs.
Interior and Exterior looks: Depends on what you think. I think A6 is the ugliest of the bunch but that's just my opinion.

Performance straitline: TL-S first.
Performance handling: TL-S last.

GS300 and 530 are best averaged for performance. 530 has better stock performance, yet straitline I believe GS300 is SLIGHTLY faster (auto vs. auto models, freeway race proven). I don't nkow about A6 performance but it's not S6.

Bang for the bucks: TL-S. If you want alot more, GS300 or A6. If you want alot more and also pay ALOT more, 530i.

AWD sedan I would take WRX.

2Savvy: performance is also high on my list, it ties for 1st with "aftermarket modification capability". But straitline isn't everything for performance. with something like a 65/35 weight distribution and FWD I don't think the TL-S would be the best OVERALL performd car (straitline is fast stock).

I would choose either the TL-S or GS300, and goes depending on budget. European cars bring too much maintainance trouble.
Old 08-09-01, 11:50 PM
TOPSPEED
Rookie

Default the A-6 2.7T

I would go for the 2.7T. I test drove them all. I would rate Audi as the first, 530i the second, and Gs300 and TL-S tied as the third place. that is based on the driving excitement and over all performance.
Old 08-10-01, 02:02 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Just FYI, Consumer Reports lists the Audi A6's reliability as a 2 on a scale of 5 (5 being best).. Something to consider.

Also, I think the A6 isn't that pretty and looks a little to Passat-ish...but the Quattro option is awesome (I hope on day that Lexus will offer AWD on some cars)

The 530, looks great, interior sucks, navigation sucks, reliability sucks, price sucks.

Honestly, I think it's between the TL-S and the GS300. Like others have said, if engine performance "out of the box" is your main priority, by all means, the TL-S hands the GS300 it's *** on a platter (is that what you ment by "dull" on the GS?). But for handling and "luxury", I think the GS300 is better. Plus I prefer RWD. And I think the GS300 looks a lot better than the TL...and fixing up the GS300 is more fun!
Old 08-10-01, 02:06 AM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

12E I noticed you are in bayarea, why don't you come out and i will take you for a spin. That should convince you to the Lexus power. = ). Audi 2.7t is fast alrite, but it looks no more than an A4 out front. only the A6 4.2 is distinguishing enough, IMO. anywayz, let me know, and let's go for a drive. then..... Welcome to the Lexus family.
Old 08-10-01, 07:01 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

If I was you, its either between the Audi 2.7 and the GS300.

My bud has an audi 4.2 A6 and its pretty nice. Not the best looking interior IMO, but its better than the Bmw's . People would say the Acura TL is nice and I agree but remember its still a front-wheel drive car and in the long run it would lose to perfomance because of that.

The Bmw 530, I do not like. Its a long story but Bmw's don't please me at all.

If you are planning to get an 2001-2002 GS300, why not consider a 1998-1999 GS400? It would be cheaper to get the pre 01 GS400. Plus get that in spectra blue .

Take care bud.
Old 08-10-01, 10:23 AM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

12E...

I was in your shoes less than a year ago... you really need to go sit in the car, drive it, then sit in it somemore, then drive it somemore.

I found the GS to have the best interior of the bunch, both in layout, quality of materials, and space. I chose to go the GS300 route given the fact that I'm usually sitting in traffic here in LA, plus the inline 6 has enough power to still get me in trouble (granted it is slower off the line, but punch it at 60 and see how quickly you're up at 100). Plus, the GS exterior is so sweet looking.

No matter which route you go, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Think about opting for a nav system too... it does prove to be useful more often than you would think, plus on the GS3, you get the butt warmers and HIDs.

Old 08-10-01, 02:21 PM
12E

hi people...thank you for your respond...

I've actually test driven all these car already...oh, and the Volvo S60 T5 too...great car, but the rear is a little cramp.

You know the quality of a GS is really great..but I think it's a little bored...

I'm even more confused now...but that's good cuz I know I won't regret whatever I'm gonna get.
Old 08-10-01, 02:53 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 12E
hi people...thank you for your respond...

You know the quality of a GS is really great..but I think it's a little bored...
The 5 series and A6 have been out longer than the GS and I consider them looking "boringer" than the GS. But looks are very objective.

One way to keep your car NOT BORED is by FIXING IT UP!!! RIGHT!!!! Modifications add performance, looks, envy, everything you'll need incase the stock form doesn't quite impress you.

If you want to mod your car: NOTHING BEATS JAPANESE CARS. For example how many bodykits can you think of for the Audi? ABT Ottinger AvantGarde etc. etc. maybe a few. BMW? AC-S Hamann MVR Alpina Breyton Hartge etc.etc. more than Audi but still only a few and all are played out. TLs are built here and not many are sold in Japan so bodykits are also limited. Lexus? take a look HERE and see for yourself. Keep in mind there are still alot more.

Don't even compare performance mods. Jap to European parts ratio is something like 30 to 1.

So getting a Japanese car will NOT make you boring. At least the interior won't
Old 08-10-01, 11:53 PM
12E

here's my opinion on all

Lexus- oh quality, I once read in an article that the production line of Lexus has a percentage error of 0.02%. I guess dull interior is just my personal opinion.

btw, just read in a mag that all Lexus Salesperson will soon be carrying a laptop around to show customer specs and etc. They'll be the first IT look Car Sales.

Audi - I actually found the interior extremely welcoming. if I'm getting a stick I'll look no further.

Acura - bang for the buck, and we all know about honda engine.

BMW - looks! man, the name speaks for itself, so is Lexus, but BMW is a BMW, like Mercedes is a Mercedes, and their quality is getting better too, I had a 328i Convertible and boy did I have problem with that car.

With these choices, I'm not too worried about the $$$, I know I'll get a good portion of it back when I sell it.

Audi & BMW have a waiting list, I've placed deposits already (Lexus & Acura have one too, but only a matter of weeks, so.) I'll be making my decision soon.

Quick Reply: A6-2.7T / 530i / TL-S / GS300 ?