GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

This Month's Car & Track Article - GS430

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-01, 08:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,511 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally posted by AC's TL/540i
BTW, don't let the sports package fool you into thinking it's sportscar like handling.
Right. I was in my neighbor's and another friend's 540i's recently, both with sport package, and I was surprised how soft it felt actually, compared to my beefed up GS. Having said it felt soft, my friend's wife HATES the car because she feels it's too stiff and bumpy.

But the sport package is very nice - staggered wheels, stiffer suspension pieces - definitely improves its capability, and I feel the 540i with sport package is a wonderful setup. L-Tuned springs/shocks actually makes the GS pretty similar to the 540i sport package I'd say.

Old 08-12-01, 08:27 AM
GS430_4Me
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What I don't need:

What I don't need to validate my purchase decision are:

* 100% favorable magazine reviews.
* Convincing a MB, BMW, Acura, Jag, Infinity owner/fan that my GS 430 is 'better'.
* The GS 430 to outshine & outperform all of its competition in all categories.
* Perfect styling.
* Impressing a passenger, a friend, the man-on-the street, that I own a luxo-rocket

All I DO need to validate my purchase decision is to drive my GS ... and no one else need be present.
Old 08-12-01, 08:37 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: What I don't need:

Originally posted by GS430_4Me
What I don't need to validate my purchase decision are:

* 100% favorable magazine reviews.
* Convincing a MB, BMW, Acura, Jag, Infinity owner/fan that my GS 430 is 'better'.
* The GS 430 to outshine & outperform all of its competition in all categories.
* Perfect styling.
* Impressing a passenger, a friend, the man-on-the street, that I own a luxo-rocket

All I DO need to validate my purchase decision is to drive my GS ... and no one else need be present.
GS430_4me,

I have to agree with you, but why do so many of our fellow members on this site, strive for L-Tuned enhancements and any other modifications? It's because Lexus does NOT offer an enhanced sports version to most of our dismay.

To most of us L-Tuned is aftermarket and not all dealers can supply this service. That is why you see so many of our fellow GS members moding and L-tuning there cars if they have the opportunity, striving to make their car even better. Sure BMW has Dinan, but you really don't need that for steering and handling enhancements, since the stock BMW with the sports package is very good.

Don't get me wrong, I love my GS430 and it is far superior than the BMW 540i in almost all respects, but the steering is really annoying me now, loose and shaky at times, but that is for the comfort that Lexus wants for their drivers. Handling is fine, but could be better of course.

I need to be L-Tuned! :-)

Last edited by lexguynj; 08-12-01 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-12-01, 09:00 AM
GS430_4Me
Rookie

lexguynj:

I support appealing to Lexus for desired improvements.

My point is the apparent defensive position, bordering on anger, taken by some whenever a car mag. or a forum participant mentions a perceived relative shortcoming of a Lexus.

So what??!! Do we want the entire world to own our favorite vehicle?

Re: Appealing to Lexus: The Lincoln LS forum on Edmunds has regular participation by Lincoln engineers and senior management. They listen and respond to Lincoln LS owners. They also have a very effective owners' club that serves well as a conduit between owners and Lincoln.

I see no evidence that something similar is included in the Passionate Pursuit of Perfection. Did I overlook it?
Old 08-12-01, 09:17 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

lexguynj:

I support appealing to Lexus for desired improvements.

My point is the apparent defensive position, bordering on anger, taken by some whenever a car mag. or a forum participant mentions a perceived relative shortcoming of a Lexus.

So what??!! Do we want the entire world to own our favorite vehicle?

Re: Appealing to Lexus: The Lincoln LS forum on Edmunds has regular participation by Lincoln engineers and senior management. They listen and respond to Lincoln LS owners. They also have a very effective owners' club that serves well as a conduit between owners and Lincoln.

I see no evidence that something similar is included in the Passionate Pursuit of Perfection. Did I overlook it?
Magazines are like Congress, some manufacturer (special interest) is always behind the scenes lobbying for their own best interest. It is therefore hard for a magazine to be unbiased, especially when you rely on ads for revenue.

Consumer Reports maybe better, but I am sure there is bias anywhere these days.

I do too hope that someone out there in Lexus is listening to us when they redesign/revamp the upcoming new GS.

Old 08-12-01, 10:09 AM
AC's TL/540i
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: hey AC's TL/540i

Originally posted by BMW540-6
apperently you don't own a lexus why are you coming here to kiss their @SS????? no offence but I'm just curious
No offense taken. I don't feel like I'm kissing anyone's A$$ but why do I come here? Well, I'm debating a purchase for my wife between the GS430 or the MB E430 Sport. Thought I'd come here to see what are some of the strong and weak points of the GS. Since I couldn't find a MB forum that I had to experience from driving my buddy's E430 sport and so far I love that car. I guess in a way I'm trying to justify paying an additional $10K for the MB over the GS, but my MB dealer called me with an offer that is very very tempting.

It is still my opinion that my 540i is the "ultimate driving machine". I still love what Lexus has done to the GS4/430 over the years but I personally would have an extreme hard time getting out of my 540i and into the GS. And I'm sure that most GS owners feel the same way in vice versa manner.

Hope this answers your question. BTW, I enjoy reading your 540-6 posts.
Old 08-12-01, 10:30 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: hey AC's TL/540i

Well, I'm debating a purchase for my wife between the GS430 or the MB E430 Sport.
Which E430 you talking about? The new body for 2002? Or the box like one? I
Old 08-12-01, 10:41 AM
AC's TL/540i
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: Re: hey AC's TL/540i

Originally posted by DIESELMAN63

Which E430 you talking about? The new body for 2002? Or the box like one? I
Well I've been waiting for the new "body" for a year now and even put a deposit but my dealer told me it won't arrive til October 02. Wife can't wait any longer. Is my dealer BS'ing me about this and trying to get me to buy their inventory? I saw the new body style and I like it a lot and most importantly my wife likes it. She also likes the GS300 but said if she ever bought that she'd want the GS430 so I'm kinda in between decisions. She likes my Bimmer but understands that it would be korny to have 2 540i's in the house. Plus she doesn't like the SP feel on my car and the stiff steering of the BMW. The GS and MB are both soft and she liked that a lot since she's a small woman (96 lbs.)
Old 08-12-01, 10:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: hey AC's TL/540i

The GS and MB are both soft and she liked that a lot since she's a small woman (96 lbs.)
Oh that's just too easy...... nah
Old 08-12-01, 10:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Ever hear of peer pressure, insecurity, cliques, desires, fears? They all factor here...
Old 08-12-01, 11:03 AM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Default Re: Car & Driver Article - GS430 (3rd Place)

Originally posted by lexguynj
I am sure you have seen this article already for the luxury sedan ratings. GS430 came in 3rd out of 5 or 6. 1st went to the BMW 540i and 2nd to the Audi A6. We did beat the Infiniti Q45, but that isn't too much to be proud of.

What the magazine pretty much said over and over again is that our GS430 is only a good car with the stock 16" rims and wheels as tested, but could have been better with the 17" upgrade.

Why wouldn't Lexus provide a test car with the 17" Upgrade Wheel Package, when Car & Track is testing out a fully loaded BMW 540 with a sports package, which happened to also place 1st. The 540 Sport would probably still beat the Lexus in handling, but at least we would be closer and rate higher with the 17" tire package.

Also not to bust on anyone's ride, but the 16" stock rims on a GS430, just looks out of place, too small, not right.

This is a large mistake by Lexus by not providing a car with options that can compete with the rest.

But either way, all the car magazines have a preference for German automobiles, that is why you will always see the BMW & AUDI at the top. BMW must really have a lot of subsciptions to the magazines. Too bad, these magazines, never really factor in reliability, just immediate, short term testing. Now BMW reliability is another topic that could go on for days........

Q shoulda had a sport option too. They testwed the base model. The Q is an LS,S,A8,7 competitor, why they put it in the GS category is kinda strange to me. And why CD gave it a 7 on features and amentities is pretty messed up. I guess cause it was a base model they gave it a 7. Whatever, mag reviews are good to look at for how cars how but they arent always right either.

my 2 and half cents
Old 08-12-01, 11:14 AM
RacingAristo

With the money you save from 430 Sport, you could easily improve your GS in all perspective with less amount of money.
Old 08-12-01, 11:16 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Exclamation

Great point of views guys... That's just the dialouge I was searching for when I posted my thread {540i best sedan over the GS430} in the "racing forum"<moved to the Lobby>... Also in Motor Trend then had the GS behind the 540ia as well. If I'm recalling correctly the 540i in both articles had automatics...

I think BMW makes great sport sedans{that can not be taken away from them... some people don't want to give that credit when it's due...} for decades and they have an edge from years of exp.; however, Lexus has jumped in the game and truly made a statement with the IS3 and the GS. Which is really making the playing field stand up and take notice.

Do you guys think Lexus is really going to beef up the L-sport line of products to really make a big difference as BMW did with their M line or Audi and Acura with the S lines?
Old 08-12-01, 11:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by The Ikon
Do you guys think Lexus is really going to beef up the L-sport line of products to really make a big difference as BMW did with their M line or Audi and Acura with the S lines?
I assume you mean L-Tuned, but anyway... I think Lexus/Toyota is a pragmatic company, meaning, if they think they need to do that to sell more cars, and they have the capacity to meet that demand, then they will.

I think Lexus cars sell mainly on quality, comfort, and refinement today, not performance. And they really have an edge in those areas over everyone else, which allows them to sell a ton of vehicles. BMW for example, sells on the performance edge, and Lexus has been 'dabbling' to eat market share away from BMW. And of course the LS400/430 is aimed directly at the S class, and has done very well.

So if, for example, BMW gets closer in comfort, quality, and luxury, then Lexus may have to do more on the performance front for example.

Anyone interested in how marketing really works - read 'Marketing Warfare' - an old, but classic book.

Some here seem to think that just because Lexus 'can' make a hot car, that they should. It doesn't work that way.
Old 08-13-01, 01:30 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'm debating a purchase for my wife between the GS430 or the MB E430 Sport. Thought I'd come here to see what are some of the strong and weak points of the GS. Since I couldn't find a MB forum that I had to experience from driving my buddy's E430 sport and so far I love that car. I guess in a way I'm trying to justify paying an additional $10K for the MB over the GS, but my MB dealer called me with an offer that is very very tempting.
I would take the E430 SPP over GS430, i think E430 spp looks classic and sporty compare to GS. E430 spp handle better and give you better feel.. since you drove one you know what I'm talking about. MB is origanal, Lexus copy from German cars =) I think for extra 10K it worth every pennie so if I were you I will definily go with MB but if your wife wants a comfortable daily transpotation go with Lexus.

my .02

Quick Reply: This Month's Car & Track Article - GS430