GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I just paid $100 for this pic of my car...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-06, 07:50 AM
LT. LEX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just paid $100 for this pic of my car...

Just got this in the mail. A ticket by the automated traffic cameras in Washington DC. Apparently I was doing 50mph in a 30mph zone. Ah well such is life. Not too bad of a picture though

Old 01-16-06, 07:58 AM
4GRAINR
Lead Lap

at least you have a sense of humor about it.

now .. how do we know that is really you driving your car? wasn't it the tech @ the lexus dealership testing it out after you had it serviced?
Old 01-16-06, 07:59 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

that sucks...

but at least the lex looks good...
Old 01-16-06, 08:14 AM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Nice shot!

They could have atleast told you to smile as they took it! That's wild! Was that a toll booth you went through at that speed or on a main road? I have heard of cameras being used to catch speeding vehicles,but I didn't think it was in motion. There was no getting out of this one? That sucks! Lol!-wringo
Old 01-16-06, 08:25 AM
brit_lex
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn! That sucks indeed..

You are now experiencing "speed cameras" that have been all over Europe for years now. A few facts about UK cameras. Only 1 in 8 actually work. The other 7 are dummies.

The cameras use the white lines on the road to calibrate your true speed. You can actually outrun these cameras, but you need to be doing 176mph or faster to avoid detection!!!

So much pressure by drivers has persuaded the law to colour our speed cameras BRIGHT yellow so we can't miss them.

Oh, but now we have new cameras that take a picture of the driver's face, and digital speed cameras that measure the time it takes for you to drive between camera A and camera B, so even if you slow down before A, speed up, slow down for B, they work out your average speed and you're screwed!!
Old 01-16-06, 08:26 AM
Dr.G
Lead Lap

Ha! I was about to comment, "what the hell were you thinking to pay for that poor *** pic!" ...until I actually took the time to read your post
Old 01-16-06, 08:29 AM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

I'm glad they don't have those cameras yet in TN.
Old 01-16-06, 08:29 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Yea they got me in DC too one in my truck and one in the SC in the past two months. Oh well.
Old 01-16-06, 08:43 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

wow that really sucks,,, thought the cameras at the intersection was bad enough,, now speeding cameras...do they have plans to have these put across the nation
Old 01-16-06, 08:48 AM
brit_lex
Pole Position

in the UK we can now buy GPS detectors that warn us when we are approaching speed cameras. it's all legal, as studies showed people with these detectors were less likely to have an accident.

don't know if the US has this facility yet - see UK link
http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/
Old 01-16-06, 08:54 AM
LT. LEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wringo
They could have atleast told you to smile as they took it! That's wild! Was that a toll booth you went through at that speed or on a main road? I have heard of cameras being used to catch speeding vehicles,but I didn't think it was in motion. There was no getting out of this one? That sucks! Lol!-wringo

Yeah, I had no clue the camera was even there. I remember driving down that road too, because it was just before i went home for Christmas. When I got the ticket in the mail, the first thing I thought of was how was I going to get out of it, but they had three pics and one zoomed in on my license plate. It was a pretty clear picture. You can even see my yellow "support our troops" magnet on the back near my plate. Like you said, there was no getting out of this one. I mailed them the check that same day. Do you think those plate covers that supposedly distort your tag numbers work?
Old 01-16-06, 08:57 AM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

wow..thats the first Ive ever seen. I mean, I know we have camera's and all at intersections in the city, but always wondered how they'd catch you on camera. Man, will wonders of modern technology never cease?
Old 01-16-06, 09:10 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Automated traffic camera for speeding? This is why I drive with my middle finger out the sunroof at all times (j/k)
Old 01-16-06, 09:13 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 366 Likes on 255 Posts

I know it's a bit of a pain, but 50 in a 30 is a substantial infraction.
If a cop had pulled you over for that in PA, that'd be 4 points and $150.

$100 "you drive too fast and we caught you" fines are pretty reasonable.

I got one from a cop who actually did pull me over some months ago. He clocked me at 80 in a 55 (that should have been a 65). I had my hands on the wheel when he approached the car, and I went through the whole "my wallet it in my pocket, and my registration is in the glove box" routine, and he assumed I was following the procedure because I had a gun. I told him I was going through the motions out of respect because he has a dangerous job, etc. He gave me a $100 ticket with no points, and I said thank you very much.

And your car looks awesome in police files.
Old 01-16-06, 09:21 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 340 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by brit_lex
in the UK we can now buy GPS detectors that warn us when we are approaching speed cameras. it's all legal, as studies showed people with these detectors were less likely to have an accident.

don't know if the US has this facility yet - see UK link
http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/
i doubt they would offer us those things, it would defeat the whole purpose. i know tjhat these cameras are supposed to be for safety reasons but they also generat alot of revenue

Quick Reply: I just paid $100 for this pic of my car...