GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My Navi Sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-06, 12:04 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My Navi Sucks!

What a piece of crap! 95% of the time my navi shows that im driving over water, in a field, or in a different city. It takes that piece of junk 30 minutes to get the "GPS" to work, and even then it has no clue where I am. When I input a destination its like signing your soul to the devil.... The navi shows that I need to drive around 4 blocks to get oh the freeway on-ramp WHEN IM RIGHT NEXT TO IT. I decide to just go on the freeway in the hope that the navi will reconfigure its self and then tell me to go the right way but Noooooooooo. It tells me to go the wrong way to some address in a different state!

Ok I understand that my car is a 2000 model so the navi info was put in 1999, but this is just pathetic! It should at least know where I am when im on main streets that have been there for 50 years and not send me on some goose chase to a different state. I cant tell you how many unnesessary miles I put on my car because of my piece of crap Navi.

Do you guys think upgrading it will fix the problem? or do you think I should just get an after market Navi to somehow work with the OEM buttons?

(Happy dave )
Old 01-17-06, 12:19 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,287 Likes on 1,393 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkGS3

(Happy dave )
Better thanks Don't make me get out the soap!
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-06, 12:20 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,287 Likes on 1,393 Posts

What version is your Navi HD? Has it ever been upgraded?
Old 01-17-06, 12:21 PM
faiello
Rookie

What a piece of crap! 95% of the time my navi shows that im driving over water, in a field, or in a different city. It takes that piece of junk 30 minutes to get the "GPS" to work, and even then it has no clue where I am. When I input a destination its like signing your soul to the devil.... The navi shows that I need to drive around 4 blocks to get oh the freeway on-ramp WHEN IM RIGHT NEXT TO IT. I decide to just go on the freeway in the hope that the navi will reconfigure its self and then tell me to go the right way but Noooooooooo. It tells me to go the wrong way to some address in a different state!

Ok I understand that my car is a 2000 model so the navi info was put in 1999, but this is just pathetic! It should at least know where I am when im on main streets that have been there for 50 years and not send me on some goose chase to a different state. I cant tell you how many unnesessary miles I put on my car because of my piece of crap Navi.

Do you guys think upgrading it will fix the problem? or do you think I should just get an after market Navi to somehow work with the OEM buttons?

(Happy dave )
Your tint 5% is your problem, it is interfering with the NAV, remove from the rear window and put on 35% and your problem should go away.
Old 01-17-06, 12:32 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by faiello
Your tint 5% is your problem, it is interfering with the NAV, remove from the rear window and put on 35% and your problem should go away.
Are you using a metallic tint? If so, this may be the cause of the problem.

The older HD based nav is slower than the DVD based nav, but it shouldn't have problems showing the location of your car. Something is definitely causing problems w/ your nav. My co-worker has a '00 GS with nav and it works fine, albeit very slowly compared to newer nav systems.
Old 01-17-06, 01:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah, what i think
1) the tint
2) old version nav not upgrade, so not covering where you are at

i am on my 2nd lexus with nav (granted they ar eboth dvd base). might not be the best nav out there but it's been pretty damn accurate. my friend with hdd base does say it's not as fast and accurate as the dvd base setup, but not like it's asking him to jump off the cliff
Old 01-17-06, 02:05 PM
slawek65
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

mine work perfect every time and with lighting speed, but not in Lexus
Old 01-17-06, 02:24 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought my 98 GS in San Francisco and it worked perfectly. I drove all the way up the PCH and I was using it to see the turns in the road more than I was looking out the front window.

Mine was not so good in very rural areas but I upgraded to the last upgrade of 2003 for the HD based. it helped a lot in the boonies but in cities it stayed the same for the most part

I would be 100% sure that it is your tint that is the problem - not the year of the NAV.

Good Luck,
Jonny
Old 01-17-06, 03:08 PM
GoFaSSter
Driver

It also depends on your location. I am in Modesto, CA and it has very few streets. The streets have been there forever, but Lexus did not put them on the map. The 2003 upgrade also does not have the streets in my town.
Old 01-17-06, 04:19 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

My guess would be to change the tint... If thats the fix than you just saved a bunch of money on your NAVI.. It sure beats a new unit that costs hundreds... Give it a shot..
Old 01-17-06, 05:07 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Thats some good info guys, thanks. I would have never thought that the tint could be causing my problem. There is only on problem.... I love my tint very much and I would hate to remove it What if I go to the dealership and by a DVD Navi? I mean I always wanted to play DVDs in my car and hopefully a newer version will work regardless of the tint (wishfull thinking)
Old 01-17-06, 05:14 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats some good info guys, thanks. I would have never thought that the tint could be causing my problem. There is only on problem.... I love my tint very much and I would hate to remove it What if I go to the dealership and by a DVD Navi? I mean I always wanted to play DVDs in my car and hopefully a newer version will work regardless of the tint (wishfull thinking)
Do you mean an OEM dvd nav system? That would be very, very expensive. You would be better off getting an aftermarket nav system. But that still wouldn't address the problems caused by the metallic tint.
Old 01-17-06, 05:19 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

How do I know if my tint is metalic?
Old 01-17-06, 09:44 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my NAV was going all over the place the day I got my car tinted. I have titanium tint and that interferes with the satellite signals.

What I did was I went back to the tint shop. We located the NAV antenna (lower right part of your rear glass). 2 vertical lines. We cut the tint around those antennas, and never had another interference problem again. The cut will not be all that noticable.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-18-06, 07:44 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine never takes me where I want to go, LOL.

Quick Reply: My Navi Sucks!